follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #71
Sgaldi

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
If the car is inherently faster, the auto is just fine. Much more consistent and easier to launch. Less wear and tear on drive train as well
Yea but I’m talkin light jumping...so no 1/4mi. And generally not even making it to 60...I can stay in gear a couple seconds longer
Sgaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #72
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Fwd has never felt quite right to me. Must be my age but some of these fwd hatches are pretty friggin quick.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #73
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgaldi View Post
Yea but I’m talkin light jumping...so no 1/4mi. And generally not even making it to 60...I can stay in gear a couple seconds longer
Just wait til the lady in the minivan needs to be somewhere.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Sgaldi (06-10-2019), Summerwolf (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 PM   #74
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Does the Focus/Fiesta ST actually come in an auto though?

Edit: Just looked it up. Ford offers an auto now. More evidence that my ability to buy a manual is slipping.
Quote:
Those kinds of numbers are where the driver matters more ...I will smoke a auto Camry every time no doubt
Original quote.

Directly preceded by a list of multiple camrys that have a significantly quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile time. I dont believe they even make a Camry with a manual anymore. Most of the v6 camrys are rated at over 300hp.

This is where I'm at.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #75
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hmmm, that a head scratcher for a guy who think auto is better ain’t it
Please show me where I said that.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #76
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by korhun View Post
I'm thinking of buying a new car. These are my options:

Ford Fiesta ST Mk8 (with LSD option)

Subaru BRZ (automatic transmission, its the only option here)

I'm 1.84cm tall and around 122kg. Fat for these cars I know

I'll use it almost every day, mainly on low traffic areas, half nice village roads, half highway (autobahn.) (I make ~25000 km a year)

Cargo space and fuel consumption is important (... for my wife ... who rules the earth! )

I love karting and want a car that would give me some feelings like a go-kart does.

Winters are around 0 to -10 degree Celsius here, and it snows for a month or so, every year.

I'm not a fan of how FiST looks. I'm in love with Subaru BRZ. It gives me similar feelings when I look at a Ferrari 360 Modena. But I just want choose the one that I would have more fun while driving it.

It is impossible to have a test drive these cars in where I live. I haven't seen a Fiesta ST yet but sat inside a BRZ. Its driving position was really nice, but I would want the steering wheel could be extended more, I like it closer.

I don't have much experience on RWD cars, except karting. In driving simulations, I like to choose FWD cars more; and drifting is not my thing. However I like making some donuts when it snows.

I will not modify the car. I want to use it the way it is designed.

Any thoughts are very appreciated.

Hi Korhun,

I own one of those blue automatic BRZ
Messaged you

Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Busybee For This Useful Post:
korhun (06-14-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 04:09 AM   #77
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I could get the car at last

I've changed the oil on ~180 miles, and plan to change again on ~1800 miles. I haven't push the throttle pedal more than around %40-60 and did not exceeded 3500rpm yet. So I don't know the car yet. So I can't say anything on performance, engine noise and breaking. However, my first impressions for the car:

* Comfortable. In rough road surfaces, it is more comfortable than a Renault Clio.
* Great driving position, but I wish I could get the steering wheel upper and nearer. Front visibility is the best I've ever driven. But its hard to see right back side (with your head turned, not the mirrors) which is required sometimes.
* I can turn off the infotainment-radio completely. That's great.
* It is noisy. That's what I wanted.
* I loved the steering wheel responses and feeling. I couldn't forced it yet, but it feels wonderful on the corners. It really is another level, very close to go-kart feeling.
* My car does not have a reverse parking camera or sensors etc. Turn radius is bad. Parallel parking is not easy.
* AT transmission is not bad as I imagined. I still wish it was a manual.

* I think the speedometer (yellow circle) is completely unnecessary.
* I don't hold the wheel 9:15 but ~10:10 so the flappy pedal are out of my reach. I wish it was something like I've drawn in green.
* Manual shifting with the stick is required on some very slow corners. But it is in the false direction. When you push the stick to front, the gear increases. Come on, this is a sports car, it should be the opposite.
* I put the keys to the trunk. Then closed the trunk. Sit in the car, and the car does not start. Requires the key nearer. OK. I get out, tried to open the trunk.. Ugh... I does not open? Thank god this happened in front of my house, so I got the spare keys from home and started the car... I haven't read the manual yet.. I'm sure I'm doing something very wrong, but this seemed dangerous to me.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (07-28-2019), ScoobsMcGee (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #78
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I believe their are extended paddles you can buy. Search around because there are DIYs on swapping the shifter direction to the correct way. As for the RR blind spot. Try adjusting your mirrors correctly. The correct way is to lean you head to the left and press your face to the glass and then adjust the mirror out until the car is just out of the frame. Then for the other mirror you lean to the right placing your head right above the center line of the cockpit and adjust the mirror out until the car is just out of frame. The rear view is only for looking out the rear and the side views are only for looking out the side. If you adjust them this way you will no longer have a blind spot. In fact, you don’t even have to turn your head to see everything. I was one of those that didn’t adjust my mirrors correctly either. I’ve never had a blind spot to deal with until I got this car and then I discovered that for 20 years I’ve been setting my mirrors incorrectly. Hahaha
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Busybee (07-31-2019), Feistyfrog (07-28-2019), korhun (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #79
scotto79

Drives: 2016 Ablaze FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
https://www.ft86motorsports.com/cata...dle+extensions
Here are just a few of the paddle extensions for the automatic shifters
scotto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotto79 For This Useful Post:
korhun (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #80
korhun
Database error

Quote:
I believe their are extended paddles you can buy. Search around because there are DIYs on swapping the shifter direction to the correct way. As for the RR blind spot. Try adjusting your mirrors correctly. The correct way is to lean you head to the left and press your face to the glass and then adjust the mirror out until the car is just out of the frame. Then for the other mirror you lean to the right placing your head right above the center line of the cockpit and adjust the mirror out until the car is just out of frame. The rear view is only for looking out the rear and the side views are only for looking out the side. If you adjust them this way you will no longer have a blind spot. In fact, you don’t even have to turn your head to see everything. I was one of those that didn’t adjust my mirrors correctly either. I’ve never had a blind spot to deal with until I got this car and then I discovered that for 20 years I’ve been setting my mirrors incorrectly. Hahaha
Hey. I've been actively driving for 25 years (almost.) I like watching defensive and advanced driving techiques videos. I've given a seminar on defensive driving in the school (amateur thing.) However, your post made me realize that I didn't even know how to adjust the mirrors properly! Oh my god. Thanks..
The Following User Says Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
Busybee (07-31-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #81
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey. I've been actively driving for 25 years (almost.) I like watching defensive and advanced driving techiques videos. I've given a seminar on defensive driving in the school (amateur thing.) However, your post made me realize that I didn't even know how to adjust the mirrors properly! Oh my god. Thanks..
I was reading some discussion on Facebook about the new Mazda 3 and how it looked like it would have a mega blind spot. A bunch of people were talking about how no car has a blind spot if you set your mirrors correctly. I always set mine so that the car was just out of frame while my head was in the normal driving position. I had no idea you were supposed to put your face on the glass. Hahaha.

Took a few weeks to get used to not being able to use the side views to look behind me though. It also took a while to trust the new settings. I still glance over my shoulder even though it's a bit redundant.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #82
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
A bunch of people were talking about how no car has a blind spot.
A bunch of people have obviously never driven a Camaro!
why? (07-30-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #83
korhun
Database error

I have a feeling that parking a Lamborghini Countach is easier than the twins.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #84
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have a feeling that parking a Lamborghini Countach is easier than the twins.
Ummmm...
No.

The twins are as easy to park as any modern, inexpensive, two door coupe. Probably easier than many actually.