follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
spookyz

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bluetooth Disconnects (Android 4.3)

Hi all, I know this has been disjointedly discussed a few times, so I apologize for the new thread, but I'd like to try to start working toward a remedy for this problem that is plaguing quite a few people with Android phones (not just here, but everywhere after the 4.3 update specifically).

I've had my 2014 BRZ for just over a month now, and everything was going swimmingly with the Bluetooth handling the Streaming Audio and Phone Calls.

This morning Verizon pushed the 4.3 update for the Samsung Galaxy SIII, I stupidly neglected to read about the Samsung version of Android 4.3 and installed it. Everything went clean on the install. Get in the car and start driving to work, streaming podcasts like I have done since the day I got the car, streams for about ~2 minutes and then stops as the car loses connection with the phone, about 10 seconds later they re-pair and the streaming continues again. This goes on for the entirety of the ride to work (about ~10 drops in ~40 mins).

I know other people have experienced this with other phones and other setups, but I think I'm in a fairly confident spot to effectively rule out the car's hardware (given I streamed for a month with 0 problems (on 4.2.1) until 4.3 was installed) and place this pretty squarely in the Android 4.3 camp (specifically Samsung's version of it, lesser so Verizon's).

What I've tried so far:
  • Re-pairing the car and phone
  • Clearing the cache on the Bluetooth App on the phone
  • Battery pull restart

What I'm going to try:
  • Re-pairing the car and phone and NOT allowing the phonebook sharing (I read somewhere people having a modicum of success with this method)

Proposed Fixes:
  • NONE

Proposed Workarounds / Band-aids:
  • Turn off BT on phone, Let headunit turn on in Car, Turn Bluetooth back on on the Phone - Thanks @Kimsey47 Link to Post

I'll try to keep this list as updated as possible with any suggestions.

Thanks for any input. (Also, as the title implies, I'd like to keep this specifically to Android and, if possible, 4.3)

Last edited by spookyz; 01-09-2014 at 08:01 PM.
spookyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
As another member stated as a work around, if I turn the BT off on the phone, then start the car/head unit, then turn on BT, it works with no issues. This is a Galaxy S3 on 4.3 with 2013 head unit.

Very annoying when I forget to do this... If I don't it will continually connect and drop every few moments. If I turn off/on BT on my phone it does connect correctly at that point and no more drops until the head unit is turned off again. Then it's "rinse and repeat" so to say.
spookyz (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
spookyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post
As another member stated as a work around, if I turn the BT off on the phone, then start the car/head unit, then turn on BT, it works with no issues. This is a Galaxy S3 on 4.3 with 2013 head unit.
Not a bad work around, thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Kimsey47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyz View Post
Not a bad work around, thanks for the info.
It sounds OK but actually really sucks! It just isn't hands free enough!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Kimsey47

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=49360&page=2

I can't take credit for this! It was Gintsuki who posted originally!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Also try keeping a minimal amount of text messages if you sync your phonebook. I found that too many text messages overloads the HU and it can't load your messages and continually disconnected and reconnected for me. I now keep less than 50 messages total at a time and just keep backups of the rest.
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
MysteryMachine

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Maybe it will be better with 4.4? My Moto X running 4.4 has never disconnected.
MysteryMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
My phone just updated this weekend from 4.1.2 to 4.3.

I have major bluetooth connectivity issues if my HU turns on after I have the phone's BT turned on. So, I need to turn on BT on my phone after my car starts and once that's done, then I have no trouble.

Now, however, the HU doesn't display the Pandora track info like it did with 4.1.2, but my bt controls still work.

I'm definitely going to have to get a new HU. The Subaru Nav HU positively sucks with 4.3 compared to 4.1.2.

I'm using a GS3 on Verizon.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
spookyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
My phone just updated this weekend from 4.1.2 to 4.3.

I have major bluetooth connectivity issues if my HU turns on after I have the phone's BT turned on. So, I need to turn on BT on my phone after my car starts and once that's done, then I have no trouble.

Now, however, the HU doesn't display the Pandora track info like it did with 4.1.2, but my bt controls still work.

I'm definitely going to have to get a new HU. The Subaru Nav HU positively sucks with 4.3 compared to 4.1.2.

I'm using a GS3 on Verizon.
The Nav HU is pretty horrible for sure, but the Samsung push of the 4.3 update is even more to blame imo. These problems aren't only linked to our head unit, people have seen similar issues all over the place with this Samsung 4.3 update, along with a bunch of other issues. How this update ever made it live is beyond me.

I think I may just end up rooting the phone, at least then I have some options on ROMs.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
What other problems? Besides the single BT issue, everything seems okay with the phone. Cloud print through google works pretty well (I printed my Phoenix Comicon ticket through the HP printer at work from my phone without issue), and my regularly used apps all work well besides the BT track info.

Though the BT controls seem to at least be consistent finally. On 4.1.2, it was very inconsistent.

And I'm more apt to blame VZW than Samsung on the 4.3 stuff since they're the reason it's so late releasing.

And I'm probably going to use the modified drive-link app with the Sony HU so that should get around the 4.3 issues, and Pandora control is via the HU app that interfaces directly with the phone's pandora app so that should be less trouble as well. And if that isn't good, I can always just stick a USB drive of my phone's music tracks into the factory USB port (which will be spliced into a USB cable that will connect to one of the Sony HU's rear USB ports) for music. Easy.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
ProTekk

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Change ROMs. Seriously.

http://aokp.co/devices/d2vzw
ProTekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTekk View Post
Change ROMs. Seriously.

http://aokp.co/devices/d2vzw
The last time I ROM'd my S3, it eventually bricked itself due to heat issues. Thankfully it bricked so hard, it wouldn't start up any more and thus I cashed in on the one year manufacturer's warranty (b/c they couldn't prove I'd rooted and ROM'd the phone if they couldn't boot it up) and got a replacement for free. It's worked perfectly fine rooted (and now not rooted) since then on stock ROM.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Anomie

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Have the same problem with my S3 since the update. Constant disconnects.
Anomie is offline   Reply With Quote