follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #3921
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
@catcha @ZionsWrath beat me to it. That's normal VSA.

I'm not a "volunteer" or "trackday discount" coach, but generally speaking, I will start off EVERY student with all aids off. As the coach, if the student loses control, it's my fault. However, it's also my job to make sure they understand WHY they lost control, and how to prevent it from happening again in the future. Ideally, I can get my student to get close to the point of losing control, and feel the instability, without actually losing control. On a skidpad, I will intentionally have my students lose control, so that they can safely experience it, and practice recovering.

The only time I will leave aids on, is if the car has a system that is not so intrusive that it will hinder learning, or if the car is way, way too fast for the student.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-27-2016), Uplink (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #3922
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Haha that reminds me -- a couple of years ago I went to a new track and requested an instructor to learn the lines. The instructor asked that I run with traction control on, which I had never done before but agreed to out of respect to him as a passenger riding in a stranger's car. But then he wouldn't sign me off for solo until I did some "clean" laps where the traction control light didn't flicker at all. OMG.

I could generally drive around the light, but I remember there was one particular off-camber exit with a few small bumps where the light would flash with seemingly no provocation. The whole test was actually a little dangerous because I was used to keeping my eyes up in case I needed to react to oversteer or incidents ahead, and this forced me to drive with my eyes down looking for that annoying TC light. I tried not to say anything and just did what he asked.

I don't know how common this is, but seems like a strange "test" for signing someone off. I also don't know how novices are supposed to learn throttle control or countersteer driving with traction control on. You could seemingly do anything and the car wouldn't let the rear end rotate.

Pedal dance, and then show them that the buttons don't work, and you're unable to turn the systems on (which is true).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (05-27-2016), ZionsWrath (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #3923
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Generally, novices aren't learning that. They are learning to be aware of flagging stations, traffic and point-bys, the basic line and how to use the whole track, etiquette like pit in/out procedures, understanding how to be smooth on braking (while straight, not trail braking) and being easy on the inputs. All things that can be done without the system interfering.

The guys at the Boston Chapter BMW CCA put together an excellent evaluation form called SLIP (Skill Level Instruction Program) to help gauge in black and white (yes the chart is in color ) a student's level and properly review/analyze where they are and if they are progressing. Here's the old prototype chart to give you an idea: http://www.drivingevals.com/sites/dr...P%20sample.png

That sucks about your experience, I'm sorry. In the future if you run into the same problem, explain to the instructor how sensitive the system is and they may let you put it in sport mode for the first few laps or even after seeing you have a good handle on the car but that it keeps intervening. You could also opt to have him drive for a few laps to see if he experiences the same issue and will then understand the system better. You also always have the option of requesting another instructor. The CI will do their best to accommodate provided they have the staffing.
I really, really like that graphic.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Uplink (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #3924
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I wonder what an instructor at an event with the rule about traction control would say if I showed up in my GTI.
He'd probably say 'cool!' and ask you questions.

These rules are for guys showing up in 300, 400, 500 horsepower rwd cars for their first ever track day in their first sports car. Showing up in a low horsepower old car to flog at the track probably means you've got the right mindset about the whole thing and aren't trying to show off, go fast, and put people at risk.

Quote:
Also, you actually can use them as tools to help the student learn. It's additional feedback that their inputs aren't smooth, they're not being consistent, they're overdriving the car or worse the car is driving for them. While working with a student you can make progress on consistency with tasks like, 'I want to see how many laps you can hit all your marks at speed without engaging the system.' Off is not always better it's just another tool.
100% agree, it's not some absurd handicap to leave the TC on or sport mode or 5s press on this car. Yes everyone interested in getting better should work towards gaining confidence and running the the brake dance, but the biggest key to a good track day imo is checking your ego at the door.

I like that SLIP chart you posted
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Uplink (05-27-2016), ZionsWrath (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #3925
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Was it a red B6 that was really pretty and nicely built? If so I think I know who you're talking about from my old AudiWorld days.
It was this one:

That car sounded like thunder when on throttle, and it was mostly a 4wheel drift out of slow corners (like the hairpin right in front of the pits where I was watching while waiting for my next session).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #3926
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Generally, novices aren't learning that. They are learning to be aware of flagging stations, traffic and point-bys, the basic line and how to use the whole track, etiquette like pit in/out procedures, understanding how to be smooth on braking (while straight, not trail braking) and being easy on the inputs. All things that can be done without the system interfering.

The guys at the Boston Chapter BMW CCA put together an excellent evaluation form called SLIP (Skill Level Instruction Program) to help gauge in black and white (yes the chart is in color ) a student's level and properly review/analyze where they are and if they are progressing. Here's the old prototype chart to give you an idea: http://www.drivingevals.com/sites/dr...P%20sample.png

That sucks about your experience, I'm sorry. In the future if you run into the same problem, explain to the instructor how sensitive the system is and they may let you put it in sport mode for the first few laps or even after seeing you have a good handle on the car but that it keeps intervening. You could also opt to have him drive for a few laps to see if he experiences the same issue and will then understand the system better. You also always have the option of requesting another instructor. The CI will do their best to accommodate provided they have the staffing.
Oh no need to apologize, it certainly wasn't anything you had done! My guess is the instructor didn't realize how sensitive the system is in these cars, but I just tried to comply and he eventually figured it out and signed me off after a couple of sessions. Honest mistake, no harm done.

I've since progressed to non-instructed run groups, but I think experiences like that tend to have students trying to shed their instructors as quickly as possible, which is unfortunate. The longer novices stay with instructors, the more they can benefit from their experience and knowledge. But it can also be frustrating for the student if the instructor doesn't listen or trust the feedback the student is giving them (whether about something like the sensitivity of traction control, or even how they best process information, etc.)

It's a difficult job for instructors given the danger they put themselves in, but the best and most fun experiences I've had with instructors are the ones where communication has been a two-way street. I think ideally that's how it should be. I'm still friends with some of those old instructors, and we still have fun at the track swapping cars and doing ride-alongs and just laughing and having fun.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-27-2016), Uplink (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #3927
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Kind of OT but anyone can recommend a brand of reusable gloves? Something I can touch moderately warm parts with.

I had tried the Mechanix brand from autozone but I wore through the thumb and forefinger. I think I wore through 3 pairs last year, total waste of money.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #3928
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Kind of OT but anyone can recommend a brand of reusable gloves? Something I can touch moderately warm parts with.

I had tried the Mechanix brand from autozone but I wore through the thumb and forefinger. I think I wore through 3 pairs last year, total waste of money.
I use these. Very cheap. Last several months at a time.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Superior-S13BFNT-Dexterity-Glove-Thickness/dp/B00BHMCTY0?ie=UTF8&keywords=superior%20glove%20s13 bfnt&qid=1464378762&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2"]Superior S13BFNT Dexterity NT Nylon String Knit Glove with Foam Nitrile Coated Palm, Work, 13 Gauge Thickness, Size 11, Black (Pack of 1 Dozen): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

Jake
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #3929
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post

Wait for Alpine Stars to do their annual sale

Or, cheap Snap-On gloves for around $15-20 a pair when they're on sale (sometimes a slow as 25/3 sets)
Old 05-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #3930
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
It was this one:

That car sounded like thunder when on throttle, and it was mostly a 4wheel drift out of slow corners (like the hairpin right in front of the pits where I was watching while waiting for my next session).
Ha! Yep, that's him.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #3931
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Ah these seem like the gloves they used to supply me when I worked at FedEx. I'll give these a shot thanks. But I use size 8 in latex sterile gloves. Do you know if the sizing is the same?
Old 05-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #3932
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I really, really like that graphic.

Thanks! I can't take credit for it, it's Dan, Matt and the crew from Boston. Really well thought out, right? Makes our job with student assessments and expectations really easy for both instructors and students alike.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-27-2016), Pat (05-27-2016), strat61caster (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #3933
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Interesting, G-Loc uses the same color for their pads equivalent to Carbotech's... and the packaging is nearly identical. I knew they were essentially a spin-off of Carbotech, but it's pretty shameless, lol. Looking forward to not murdering these things in a weekend though

DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #3934
ZionsWrath
Thanks

My Carbotechs have been orange, but yea they look identical