follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #57
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1715 View Post
The cooler is mounted to the crash beam, the bottom mounts are to prevent it from rocking back and forth so the weight of the cooler is supported from above.

Sorry, no room for an intercooler and the oil cooler. It would require mounting the oil cooler in a different location or using our bottom mount kit.
Any developments on the larger Bell cooler? Top or bottom mount?
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:44 PM   #58
The Slow One
Track Junkie

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
you wouldn't happened to have a setup that would work with the jdl turbo kit would you?
The Slow One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #59
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
We finally wrapped up the top mounting location for the oil cooler, and have added the 619 Setrab core as an option. One of the key aspects for the top mount location was no drilling. I'm quite happy with the final mounting, I hope you guys are too!

We also have decided to add Banjo fittings to our options as clearance between the thermostatic adapter plate and many air intakes is very tight. The Banjo fittings while not ideal for flow will allow for those tight clearances.

Questions, and comments welcome.

Wanted to say that I'm really impressed with how responsive you've been with all the requests during development. The top mount, larger radiator and banjos for clearance pretty much complete the wish list from your original design. I have the cooler in the shopping cart right now. Was looking for the banjo option, but didn't see it. Are the banjos now a standard part of the kit, or is there still a little updating in progress for adding the banjos as optional?

Thanks again guys, this is awesome.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Jeff@Racer X Fab (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #60
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Toyota MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Any developments on the larger Bell cooler? Top or bottom mount?
We will have the Bell core option up shortly, but the dimensions will be similar to the Setrab cores. All cores will use the same mounting options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slow One View Post
you wouldn't happened to have a setup that would work with the jdl turbo kit would you?
The bottom mounting option should work with most forced induction kits as it pushes the oil cooler towards the front of the bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Wanted to say that I'm really impressed with how responsive you've been with all the requests during development. The top mount, larger radiator and banjos for clearance pretty much complete the wish list from your original design. I have the cooler in the shopping cart right now. Was looking for the banjo option, but didn't see it. Are the banjos now a standard part of the kit, or is there still a little updating in progress for adding the banjos as optional?

Thanks again guys, this is awesome.
We added the banjo fitting option this morning! I appreciate the feed back.
Jeff@Racer X Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff@Racer X Fab For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-19-2015), DAEMANO (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #61
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
We will have the Bell core option up shortly, but the dimensions will be similar to the Setrab cores. All cores will use the same mounting options.

The bottom mounting option should work with most forced induction kits as it pushes the oil cooler towards the front of the bumper.

We added the banjo fitting option this morning! I appreciate the feed back.

No problemo!

Question about the cores, what are the major differences between the Setrab and Bell?
Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #62
BigFatFlip

Quote:
Thanks always for the regular updates! It sounds like the lower mounting option will be my only choice then. Looking forward to pics.

Quote:
Question about the cores, what are the major differences between the Setrab and Bell?
As mentioned by @racerx1715 earlier in the thread:
Quote:
The bell core from the pictures above is slightly larger than the Setrab 613.

Setrab 613 core: 9.5"L x 2.0"W x 3.75"H
Custom Bell core: 10"L x 2.25"W x 3.8" H
So potentially slightly higher heat capacity. Not entirely sure how it would compare to a Setrab series 9, bu I believe they have some customers doing some testing for them now. Looking forward to your results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-19-2015), Jeff@Racer X Fab (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 02:43 AM   #63
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm looking into creating ducts where the fog lights would be and offsetting the oil cooler so that it receives fresher air and to prevent even hotter air to the rad (already through the intercooler). I would be mounting on the passenger side since the washer fluid is on the driver's side in that area. Would you be able to provide hosing long enough to reach that location?
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #64
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFR-s View Post
I'm looking into creating ducts where the fog lights would be and offsetting the oil cooler so that it receives fresher air and to prevent even hotter air to the rad (already through the intercooler). I would be mounting on the passenger side since the washer fluid is on the driver's side in that area. Would you be able to provide hosing long enough to reach that location?
I'm sure we can supply longer lines for the kit to fit with your desired location. When you are ready to order just shoot a PM or an email to info@racerxfabrication.com and we can get it set up.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #65
Trefoil

Drives: GBS BRZ Harrop SC/PTuning Header
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The larger setrab core has been installed and operating for a few weeks now on Mobil1 full synthetic 5w30 oil. The engine cools off much more quickly and warms up a bit more quickly too.... which is a bit of a surprise now that the car has a larger oil capacity than ever before. To illustrate, after parking the car for an hour, the coolant temps now drop to the lower 1/4 mark on startup. I do notice that the coolant operates ever so slightly higher temps on the gauge, but I need to run some data logs off of the OBD2 port to get numbers.

I tested the setup at Deal's Gap and the surrounding countryside in North Carolina this past weekend and there were ZERO issues! This is a really solid kit for an NA or FI compatible build!

BTW, noticed RacerX came out with an intake that he hasn't mentioned on the forums yet. Very interested in pairing it with an e85 flexfuel kit and tune.

Last edited by Trefoil; 11-11-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Trefoil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trefoil For This Useful Post:
Jeff@Racer X Fab (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #66
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefoil View Post
The larger setrab core has been installed and operating for a few weeks now on Mobil1 full synthetic 5w30 oil. The engine cools off much more quickly and warms up a bit more quickly too.... which is a bit of a surprise now that the car has a larger oil capacity than ever before. To illustrate, after parking the car for an hour, the coolant temps now drop to the lower 1/4 mark on startup. I do notice that the coolant operates ever so slightly higher temps on the gauge, but I need to run some data logs off of the OBD2 port to get numbers.

I tested this last weekend at Deal's Gap and the surrounding countryside in North Carolina this past weekend and there were ZERO issues! This is a really solid kit for an NA or FI compatible build!

BTW, noticed RacerX came out with an intake that he hasn't mentioned on the forums yet. Very interested in pairing it with an e85 flexfuel kit and tune.
Appreciate the feedback!!

We have finally finished the cold air intake. We are compiling all of the data now and should have a post shortly.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:52 AM   #67
BigFatFlip

Any news on the larger bell cores? I noticed on your store that you have added the slightly larger setrab 619 as an option, was this the substitute for the bell?
Old 02-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #68
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Appreciate the feedback!!

We have finally finished the cold air intake. We are compiling all of the data now and should have a post shortly.
quoting to ping you. any update on the bell cores? i'm about to pull the trigger but wanted some more info.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #69
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
quoting to ping you. any update on the bell cores? i'm about to pull the trigger but wanted some more info.
@racerx1715

Same here, looking for final word on Bell cores. If no Bell for now, I'll just pull the trigger on the bigger Setrab.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #70
Jeff@Racer X Fab

Quote:
@racerx1715

Same here, looking for final word on Bell cores. If no Bell for now, I'll just pull the trigger on the bigger Setrab.
We have 3 bell cores out for testing since October 2015, however we have not received any data from these guys yet. If you are interested we can build either kit using the bell core.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff@Racer X Fab For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-25-2016)