follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #57
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeH78 View Post
I paid @ 700-800 and got alot of stuff as a package deal. HMU if you want the exact details. Prob about everything u would wanna do to keep u happy 4 a while.
Yes.. I'd like details. You can PM me if you prefer it that way for whatever reason.
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #58
MikeM7

Anyone have experience with this?

JL Audio BRZ Subwoofer Stealthbox

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CGYQpiswAA
Old 01-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #59
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
If you go with clear side markers, be sure you also get AMBER replacement bulbs to go inside them. It's not legal in the US to run white lamps in clear side markers. Either the lamp has to be amber, or the lens has to be amber, so that it shows amber light to other motorists.

I bought a set of amber LEDs for mine for $6 each from a guy on the member classified board. Cheap LEDs that work just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
Side Markers (Super White LED) $150
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57650
Careful, as extrashaky pointed out, you need amber LEDs if you have a clear side marker.

Quote:
Anyone have experience with this?

JL Audio BRZ Subwoofer Stealthbox

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CGYQpiswAA
I don't have experience with that, but you could search around the forums, thats probably your best bet. Searching forums is easier in google, type "site:ft86club.com JL audio subwoofer" and it'll search the forums for "JL audio subwoofer"

From what I've seen though, people seem to like the package from "OEM+ Audio" http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/brz-...rade-1443.html

Its pricey though.. I personally plan to just swap out the 6.5" woofers in the doors and add some sound deadening while I'm in there. I feel like adding a subwoofer is just asking for more rattles.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #60
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post

From what I've seen though, people seem to like the package from "OEM+ Audio" http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/brz-...rade-1443.html

Its pricey though.. I personally plan to just swap out the 6.5" woofers in the doors and add some sound deadening while I'm in there. I feel like adding a subwoofer is just asking for more rattles.
1,500 dollars.. holy cow. Yeah I don't think I'm ready for that.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #61
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
1,500 dollars.. holy cow. Yeah I don't think I'm ready for that.
The system is a bit pricey, but it literally transforms the driving experience with the car.
Jonsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #62
Tenament05

Drives: fast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
The system is a bit pricey, but it literally transforms the driving experience with the car.
It's hugely pricey. One could source a custom fiberglass box, JL W6V3, and appropriate amp for well under that.

It wouldn't say "OEM+" on it, or be a one-click purchase, but lets be honest here it's just a sub and amp with an OEM-designed trunk box. Absolutely nothing special about it
Tenament05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #63
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenament05 View Post
It's hugely pricey. One could source a custom fiberglass box, JL W6V3, and appropriate amp for well under that.

It wouldn't say "OEM+" on it, or be a one-click purchase, but lets be honest here it's just a sub and amp with an OEM-designed trunk box. Absolutely nothing special about it
It's meant to be a good system with components all picked and designed to work together well. It replaces pretty much the entire system except for the head unit, it's not just adding a subwoofer. And come on, that sub enclosure does look nice.

Yea you can source different parts and do your own research and build your own sub enclosure for less, but that takes more time and some hit/miss effort. I wouldn't say the OEM+ system isnt worth it though.

I'm personally just going to swap out the door woofers on my own since I don't need a sub, but if I wanted a sub I'd probably just go the OEM+ route.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #64
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
2. Intake: I was going to just get a drop-in filter until I saw the SuperTek intake kit. $90 for new intake + filter + sound tube delete.
There has been plenty of debate and intakes have been proven to have very little benefit. The stock intake is almost as good as you can get.

Quote:
3. OFT or any other Tune: I'm gonna avoid this since I think the gains are negligible. And I also want to go FI in a year or so, which means the OFT would be a waste..
The OFT has been PROVEN to make not only a noticeable difference, but a SIGNIFICANT one. There is no question that the basic OFT ROM on a stock vehicle makes a huge difference.
AND how is the ability to tune your car yourself a "waste" when switching to FI?
Wont you still need to tune after FI?? As a matter of fact, OFT has some FI tunes, so there is a chance you wouldnt need to pay for a tune after your FI install.
If you purchase the OFT, there is support to help youcustomize the tune by sending datalogs (which the OFT can capture).

IMO there is zero downside to purchasing an OFT.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #65
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
There has been plenty of debate and intakes have been proven to have very little benefit. The stock intake is almost as good as you can get.
Yep I'm aware of that. I like that intake because its a clean way to do the sound tube delete and it comes with an air filter. The actual intake tube itself is just a bonus to me.

Quote:
The OFT has been PROVEN to make not only a noticeable difference, but a SIGNIFICANT one. There is no question that the basic OFT ROM on a stock vehicle makes a huge difference.
AND how is the ability to tune your car yourself a "waste" when switching to FI?
Wont you still need to tune after FI?? As a matter of fact, OFT has some FI tunes, so there is a chance you wouldnt need to pay for a tune after your FI install.
If you purchase the OFT, there is support to help youcustomize the tune by sending datalogs (which the OFT can capture).

IMO there is zero downside to purchasing an OFT.
Significant difference? Maybe I've been looking at the wrong threads.. For a Stock NA car it seems to give you at most 10HP difference from the dyno charts I've been seeing. It seems handy if you want to go E85 or have the option to switch back and forth. It also seems handy if you like to do a lot of bolt-on mods for the NA engine and be able to quickly update the tune to match.

I like the OFT and the whole idea it represents. I would like it even more if I was a tuner of some sort but I wont pretend to be. It's definitely a powerful and useful tool, but for a stock car I don't see it making a SIGNIFICANT difference. Again, I don't have the OFT, so I'm just judging based on posts and reviews I've read.

Also for FI, all of the kits I've been looking at so far still use Ecutek for their tunes. Maybe this is changing or has changed recently? I've been focusing on the Full Blown kit, and now I'm following the FT86SpeedFactory kit in development.

For a guy who just got his BRZ and has $700 to spend, I think using it for things other than just the OFT would be more satisfying.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #66
Tenament05

Quote:
It's meant to be a good system with components all picked and designed to work together well. It replaces pretty much the entire system except for the head unit, it's not just adding a subwoofer. And come on, that sub enclosure does look nice.

Yea you can source different parts and do your own research and build your own sub enclosure for less, but that takes more time and some hit/miss effort. I wouldn't say the OEM+ system isnt worth it though.

I'm personally just going to swap out the door woofers on my own since I don't need a sub, but if I wanted a sub I'd probably just go the OEM+ route.
What I'm saying is that it really is a $900-1000 MAX system (a majority of that being the 'molded' box). To have the box paint matched is an incredible $+200 addition. 33-45% markup for the convenience of not spending 20-30 minutes researching subs and speakers and calling up your local sub shop to have a fiberglass box made (or just buy one of the custom boxes from a vendor on here for ~400-600) for a system that would blow the doors off this OEM+.. some think it's worth it due to warrantyable and plug and play/OEM looking out the box. Others love the DIY. I can see merits to both.. until you look at the specs

the sub amp is 120W @ 2ohms and 14L of air in the box driving an 8 inch DVC sub. I'm sorry but that is pathetic. That's a $50 amp at best. The door amp is decent. The factory harnesses are cool, but worth less than $50.

P.S. Look at Integrity Concepts' fiberglass box. Blows this one out of the water and at a pricetag that makes the OEM+ one laughable. There's not many packages I flame on but the OEM+ people are really gouging the hell out of us just because Scion endorses/warranties it.

Integrity Concepts-
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31813

Last edited by Tenament05; 01-12-2015 at 11:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tenament05 For This Useful Post:
Integrity Concepts (04-21-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #67
Tenament05

Quote:
Significant difference? Maybe I've been looking at the wrong threads.. For a Stock NA car it seems to give you at most 10HP difference from the dyno charts I've been seeing. It seems handy if you want to go E85 or have the option to switch back and forth. It also seems handy if you like to do a lot of bolt-on mods for the NA engine and be able to quickly update the tune to match.

I like the OFT and the whole idea it represents. I would like it even more if I was a tuner of some sort but I wont pretend to be. It's definitely a powerful and useful tool, but for a stock car I don't see it making a SIGNIFICANT difference. Again, I don't have the OFT, so I'm just judging based on posts and reviews I've read.

Also for FI, all of the kits I've been looking at so far still use Ecutek for their tunes. Maybe this is changing or has changed recently? I've been focusing on the Full Blown kit, and now I'm following the FT86SpeedFactory kit in development.

For a guy who just got his BRZ and has $700 to spend, I think using it for things other than just the OFT would be more satisfying.
You forget that peak hp gains aren't the only benefit that comes with a tune........

Myself and hundreds, if not thousand+ others will testify, even a stage 1 91 octane off the shelf OFT map blows the DOORS off the stock tune, all around- throttle response, power, smoothness/operation across the entire powerband... I believe that's what @stugray is trying to underline here. It's much more than just a raw power increase mod.

plus data logging and ability to upgrade tunes + E85 potential... picking one up for $400-500 is a no brainer best bang for your buck in the performance department.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #68
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenament05 View Post
You forget that peak hp gains aren't the only benefit that comes with a tune........

Myself and hundreds, if not thousand+ others will testify, even a stage 1 91 octane off the shelf OFT map blows the DOORS off the stock tune, all around- throttle response, power, smoothness/operation across the entire powerband... I believe that's what @stugray is trying to underline here. It's much more than just a raw power increase mod.

plus data logging and ability to upgrade tunes + E85 potential... picking one up for $400-500 is a no brainer best bang for your buck in the performance department.
Yea I get what you're saying. Unfortunately all I have to judge upon is the dyno charts. And across the dyno charts I don't see much of an improvement (not looking at just the peaks).

I just worry that a lot of people get the placebo + butt dyno effect lol.

But again, I do agree that the OFT has a lot of potential, its useful if you're a tuner, its useful if you want to go E85, and its useful if you plan on doing a lot of bolt on mods for your NA car.

This guy has $700 to spend right now though. I still dont know if putting 500+ into a single thing will be more satisfying.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #69
Tenament05

Quote:
Yea I get what you're saying. Unfortunately all I have to judge upon is the dyno charts. And across the dyno charts I don't see much of an improvement (not looking at just the peaks).

I just worry that a lot of people get the placebo + butt dyno effect lol.

But again, I do agree that the OFT has a lot of potential, its useful if you're a tuner, its useful if you want to go E85, and its useful if you plan on doing a lot of bolt on mods for your NA car.

This guy has $700 to spend right now though. I still dont know if putting 500+ into a single thing will be more satisfying.
Look at the logs in addition, plus "butt dyno" is much more relevant when discerning overall car response and powerband characteristics.

People downplay being able to 'feel' mods and often times adversely attribute the term "butt dyno" to discredit others' findings. The proof is in the pudding, I suggest you take a friend's OFT tuned car for a drive or find someone at a meet who has it done, with similar mods to yours. Let us know your experience

Don't forget OFT is perfectly capable of boosted tuning, with OTS maps available for variety of kits right now, more on the way, including custom tuning of FI maps via romraider.

$500 for data logging + E85 potential + scalable maps + ability to alter cold start/flat foot shifting/launch control/rev limit altering....

you'd think I was a fanboy for OFT but I'm just a very, very satisfied customer who has a long track record with opensource applications and subaru engines. The OFT is so far my most enjoyable experience yet in that arena.

Ecutek is a close rival and depending on his end goals, another significant rival. But so far OP seems to be in line with what OFT does.

Opensource is the shit and is expanding all the time, regardless of what OP does he's come to the right forum to get advice
Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #70
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:

Significant difference? Maybe I've been looking at the wrong threads.. For a Stock NA car it seems to give you at most 10HP difference from the dyno charts I've been seeing. It seems handy if you want to go E85 or have the option to switch back and forth. It also seems handy if you like to do a lot of bolt-on mods for the NA engine and be able to quickly update the tune to match..
It DEFINITELY made a noticeable difference.
I felt the difference immediately (torque dip is not there any more), AND my passenger noticed right away.

It was definitely NOT the placebo effect.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote