follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
18 tS Pop/Clunk

Hey folks -

I have an '18 tS, the first time I noticed a pop, which sounds like it coming from the suspension, was after I got it washed/detailed/etc. for the first time. Figured it was just some water sitting somewhere that was popping out after sitting stagnant for a bit, because it quickly went away. It xontinued to happen after washes and rain as well. It would pop a few times, and then disappear.

Fast Forward to last week -- I picked up my car after having JDL Catted UEL Header and Catted/Resonated Combo/Front Pipe installed, and now I'm hearing a similar sound, but over almost every bump. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't, but it's a bit hard to narrow down the specific location. I'm wondering if these flexible v-bars and draw stiffeners are prone to this noise? Maybe the strut is blown? Perhaps one of the new pipes isn't clearly perfectly and hitting something? Or the big shield underneath is loose somewhere? Anyone with a tS getting a similar sound or anyone have any insight?

I'm going to bring it back to PTuning tomorrow and have them check over everything thoroughly since its been worse since its been there, but any insight to point them towards would be appreciated. Hopefully its nothing serious, that I will have to return to the dealer about, but so be it if I must.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, those sounds could be one (or two) of a 100+ things.

I think you're on the right track by having the tuner and maybe the dealership check it out.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #3
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, those sounds could be one (or two) of a 100+ things.

I think you're on the right track by having the tuner and maybe the dealership check it out.

humfrz
Figured that was the case, best hope was some other tS owners have experienced it and could put my crazy mind at ease, or had a similar issue and had it fixed.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
Figured that was the case, best hope was some other tS owners have experienced it and could put my crazy mind at ease, or had a similar issue and had it fixed.
Well, tS or not, this platform is noted for its unusual sounds.

My best guess would be that the initial popping sound has something to do with one of the underneath panels.

I would guess that the post exhaust sound has something to do with one of the new exhaust pieces is too close to something else.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (07-09-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
cirros

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have been driving a tS for 6 days now, and I have noticed the clunking noises from front bottom of the car when I drive over bump at parking lot speeds. The clunk was more apparent when the left and the right front tires have different heights of bumps.

It sounds like some bolts are not fully tightened. I checked the v-brace for loose bolts, but didn't find any. I would be checking the draw stiffeners and the front sway bars in the near future.
cirros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I wonder if the ball joints in the V bars/draw stiffener making a popping noise when they slip.
norcalpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #7
jfarkas

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Might sound silly, but check the undertray and splash guard, with headers being installed, it was likely taken off to access everything under there. Just chased down a similar noise on my 14 FR-S and checked everything from swaybar endlinks, tie rods, ball joints and the rest of the steering rack. Turned out the plastic between the bumper and the metal tray was loose from a broken clip and bouncing around against the metal. Made noise while turning like a tie rod or something was going out but went away after I tightened all the undertray pieces.
jfarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:48 AM   #8
Kine

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS WRB | 1991 Supra Turbo
Hey all, was able to fix the "from the dealer" clunk noise by tightening the front strut bars mounts. I posted more details here - https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128998

My car is stock so this wouldn't take into account anything from aftermarket mods being installed.
Kine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kine For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-17-2018), Tcoat (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
cirros

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YJgtX6q3EE[/ame]

Firstly, thank you Kine for helping in finding the source of the noise problem.
I thought I could reproduce the same clunk noise from the v-braces, so I made a short clip to describe it to the dealership if need be.

I tried tightening the bolts that hold the braces, but it couldn't change any noise level for my case. It almost felt convincing that the pillow ball joint of the v-braces are supposed to make such noise when I shook on them, but I'm hoping to be wrong.

I plan to visit the dealership sometime soon, and I will post for any different solution if found.

Cheers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cirros For This Useful Post:
botbs (08-27-2018), nikitopo (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirros View Post

Firstly, thank you Kine for helping in finding the source of the noise problem.
I thought I could reproduce the same clunk noise from the v-braces, so I made a short clip to describe it to the dealership if need be.

I tried tightening the bolts that hold the braces, but it couldn't change any noise level for my case. It almost felt convincing that the pillow ball joint of the v-braces are supposed to make such noise when I shook on them, but I'm hoping to be wrong.

I plan to visit the dealership sometime soon, and I will post for any different solution if found.

Cheers!
When I shake mine they make the same noise, and then go away just like yours. Also, when I grab the shorter sides of the V bar (closest to firewall) I can actually shake its mounting point independently of the firewall, as if it’s just tack welds holding it on. Does yours do the same?

Edit: Also I wonder how much tension is supposed to be on the ball mount before tightening down, and maybe that is subject to change as the chassis flex.

Last edited by norcalpb; 07-17-2018 at 08:22 PM.
norcalpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
cirros

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
When I shake mine they make the same noise, and then go away just like yours. Also, when I grab the shorter sides of the V bar (closest to firewall) I can actually shake its mounting point independently of the firewall, as if it’s just tack welds holding it on. Does yours do the same?

Edit: Also I wonder how much tension is supposed to be on the ball mount before tightening down, and maybe that is subject to change as the chassis flex.
Sorry for the late response!
No, I feel the braces are bolted solid to both the firewall and the top hat.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #12
Imprezzave

Drives: BRZ TS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Imprezzave
Hey cirros, any luck at the dealership? I have this same clunk/pop sound and it is annoying the hell out of me. I almost just want to remove the STi v braces and just go back to stock braces to make the noise go away.
Imprezzave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
DaBoBo21
Brett

Drives: ‘94 Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezzave View Post
Hey cirros, any luck at the dealership? I have this same clunk/pop sound and it is annoying the hell out of me. I almost just want to remove the STi v braces and just go back to stock braces to make the noise go away.
Any chance you or had the dealership check the strut top hats? There could be a bad bearing in one of them
DaBoBo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
Brz_racer

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
I also have an 18 tS, makes the exact noise your talking about. At first I was worried about it as well, but its just a noise this car makes. I'm sure other cars make this noise as well, it's just more pronounced on the BRZ because of the lack of sound deadening. It's nothing to be concerned about.
Brz_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz_racer For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (11-27-2018)