follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #1821
MI FR-S

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On cold days, the first 5 minutes or so of driving can result in the gear stick refusing to go into 1st or 2nd on a downshift. If that occurs I have to:

disengage clutch, select neutral, engage clutch, disengage clutch, select desired gear, engage clutch.

It's a bit annoying but it usually just results in me being slower away from the stoplight by half a second if it had changed to green just as I pull up.
MI FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #1822
Skidrcn

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate Race Shop View Post
Well keep us posted you are luckily at low enough miles they probably won't ask any questions. I have almost 30k miles on mine and I get interigated everytime I have a little warranty issue.

Sent from my Q10
Well car is OK Wheel Speed Sensor just freaked out from the wheels spinning in the snow. I guess a lot of Toyotas came in yesterday with the same problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
For the peeps who are still driving their twins in the winter, how is your MT holding up in cold weather? Just curious to know.

EDIT: What I particularly meant was, are you guys able to shift in to 1st and 2nd gears without any problems? I did read a couple of threads, but wanted to know how the Michigan drivers are doing in this 'really warm and pleasant weather'?!
My car is really hard to get into 2nd gear sometimes when it is cold and I though about changing the fluid but my friend who is a tech at Fox Toyota and who also has an FRS said it wont change anything its just the trans... So for now I just deal with it. Once it gets warm I don't have the problem. It is normally only for the first few shifts.
Skidrcn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skidrcn For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (01-10-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #1823
Mac1235

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI FR-S View Post
I shall dub this day: Counter Steer Thursday

Awfully slippery out there this morning. Hopefully everyone got where they were going safely.

Winter tires disappointed me (x ice 2's), too much traction control on very slow turns and gentle acceleration. They were pretty solid under braking though.

Windshield wipers are starting to show their age.
Any recommendations on replacement wiper brands?
I can't remember their specific name but the top end Bosch wiper blades have been good for me for a while. Not sure what they are like now but in previous years they have been very solid.
Mac1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mac1235 For This Useful Post:
MI FR-S (01-23-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #1824
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsinaname View Post
It's been quite decent once I followed someone's suggestion on this board that I should start in second and idle there for 20 seconds or so.

Today was bad though. It hit -25 yesterday night for an extended period of time. Had to let the car warm up for quite a bit. (It got so cold, the interior temperature displays started lagging).
I had the exact same thing happen to me today! Was worried for a second, but then assumed that the weather had to do something with it. It's back to normal now.

I'm gonna try the second gear technique tomorrow, hopefully it should work for me!
ZeHeadBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #1825
Mac1235

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
I had the exact same thing happen to me today! Was worried for a second, but then assumed that the weather had to do something with it. It's back to normal now.

I'm gonna try the second gear technique tomorrow, hopefully it should work for me!
They use a tranny oil that is quite bad in the cold. I feel like their testing was not conducted in these temperatures. There is quite a few threads that have a list of oils that perform much better in the cold and still give the track day performance.
Mac1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #1826
whatsinaname

Drives: 1998 Ford ZX2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone drive on M-14 and I-96 around Farmington Hills today? Are the roads bad?
whatsinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #1827
Travisty75

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Garage
Just picked up my new wheels and tires, sold my factory wheels the day after I listed them! Just need to sell my factory tires now.. Anyone want them? 2500 miles and two AutoX's.

Wheels are 17x9 +38 Drag DR-38's, 358 shipped from discounttiredirect.com
Tires are 255/40 Nitto N555's

I had to take my camber bolts back out of the front to be able to stick these on, otherwise they rubbed the spring perch. They clear now, but I'm in the market for coilovers right now. Does anyone have any suggestions? Car is a summer DD, will be AutoX'd as much as I can afford to, but I'm not overly competitive (try to better my own times, but don't pay attention to others'). Fortune Auto v5 500's are at the top of my list. I'd look more seriously at the ST's, but I want something that comes with upper mounts/front camber mounts.

Anyone know anything about the Stance or BC's? Trying to keep this around 1000-1100, considering I'll need LCA's too.

Still looking for someone to swap trunks, too.
Travisty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #1828
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty75 View Post
Just picked up my new wheels and tires, sold my factory wheels the day after I listed them! Just need to sell my factory tires now.. Anyone want them? 2500 miles and two AutoX's.

Wheels are 17x9 +38 Drag DR-38's, 358 shipped from discounttiredirect.com
Tires are 255/40 Nitto N555's

I had to take my camber bolts back out of the front to be able to stick these on, otherwise they rubbed the spring perch. They clear now, but I'm in the market for coilovers right now. Does anyone have any suggestions? Car is a summer DD, will be AutoX'd as much as I can afford to, but I'm not overly competitive (try to better my own times, but don't pay attention to others'). Fortune Auto v5 500's are at the top of my list. I'd look more seriously at the ST's, but I want something that comes with upper mounts/front camber mounts.

Anyone know anything about the Stance or BC's? Trying to keep this around 1000-1100, considering I'll need LCA's too.

Still looking for someone to swap trunks, too.
I have the same rims for mine that I track with. I run nitto nt05. I think you would be a little better BC. Another one to look at is Megan racing. They are fully adjustable and can be custom ordered for the same price.

Sent from my Q10
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #1829
Travisty75

Garage
Quote:
I have the same rims for mine that I track with. I run nitto nt05. I think you would be a little better BC. Another one to look at is Megan racing. They are fully adjustable and can be custom ordered for the same price.

Sent from my Q10
I was under the impression that Megan's were basically bottom of the barrel? I'll definitely give them a look see, thanks!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #1830
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
I was under the impression that Megan's were basically bottom of the barrel? I'll definitely give them a look see, thanks!
I have a set of custom ordered Megan Racing Coils on my car. I track my car and pulled the fastest time on a tight road course out of 9 FR-S/BRZ. The biggest mistake people make is associating price with quality. Megan may not be the best but they are not the worst. If you want on a nice day (maybe tomorrow) you can come drive my car and see if you like them.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #1831
Travisty75

Garage
Quote:
I have a set of custom ordered Megan Racing Coils on my car. I track my car and pulled the fastest time on a tight road course out of 9 FR-S/BRZ. The biggest mistake people make is associating price with quality. Megan may not be the best but they are not the worst. If you want on a nice day (maybe tomorrow) you can come drive my car and see if you like them.
I really appreciate the offer, but I'll take your opinion of them on word alone! What are your spring rates at, and where do you have them adjusted rebound-wise?

The Megan's look great, but like I said I just assumed from hearsay that they weren't worth my time. I'll try to find a supplier for them tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #1832
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
I really appreciate the offer, but I'll take your opinion of them on word alone! What are your spring rates at, and where do you have them adjusted rebound-wise?

The Megan's look great, but like I said I just assumed from hearsay that they weren't worth my time. I'll try to find a supplier for them tomorrow.
My spring rates I believe are 60MM they are pretty aggressive for the street you are going to feel every bump in the road. If you have not ran a coil in the past I highly suggest you ride in a car that has them. Another great way you could go is good shocks and lowering springs will help on the ride. I am no longer a vendor here so I cannot advertise my products but message me if you need to know what a good price would be on different items.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #1833
Travisty75

Garage
Quote:
My spring rates I believe are 60MM they are pretty aggressive for the street you are going to feel every bump in the road. If you have not ran a coil in the past I highly suggest you ride in a car that has them. Another great way you could go is good shocks and lowering springs will help on the ride. I am no longer a vendor here so I cannot advertise my products but message me if you need to know what a good price would be on different items.
I had non-adjustable GReddy coilovers on my last WRX. To be honest, they were only slightly worse than what the BRZ ride is like from the factory. I know coils are going to be much stiffer, but that's just the nature of the beast.

The spring rate combinations I've been able to find are either 8k front/6k rear, or 10k front/8k rear.

Ideally I think I'd like to have a square 8k/8k setup, but I don't know if the vendors will do that.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #1834
Travisty75

Garage
Here's a review for anyone who may be interested in a Master Cylinder Brace.

Clicky click