follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2017, 10:58 PM   #15
fields

Drives: DGM '17 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I got a idea. Get yourself some wide-angle side mirrors for under $100. Totally enhanced visibility. Make driving easier for yourself while still focused at the wheel.

I bought my mirrors online the day I picked up my car. Drove it with stock mirrors for 3-5 days and would never go back.
fields is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fields For This Useful Post:
FLYFISHR (08-24-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #16
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fields View Post
I got a idea. Get yourself some wide-angle side mirrors for under $100. Totally enhanced visibility. Make driving easier for yourself while still focused at the wheel.

I bought my mirrors online the day I picked up my car. Drove it with stock mirrors for 3-5 days and would never go back.
Or you could simply adjust the stock mirrors correctly out to cover your blind spots so you only see a slither of your cars body appear in them (if at all).

Our mirrors are huge, compared to many older cars I've driven. Never have I had an issue with blind spots in this car.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
HKz (08-23-2017), Kimsey47 (08-24-2017), Tcoat (06-29-2017), TheRoops (06-30-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Or you could simply adjust the stock mirrors correctly out to cover your blind spots so you only see a slither of your cars body appear in them (if at all).

Our mirrors are huge, compared to many older cars I've driven. Never have I had an issue with blind spots in this car.

The blind spot indicator is not intended to replace using the mirrors anyway. It is very handy to know there is somebody coming up beside you before having to check the mirror. It stops flashing you know you are good, check the mirror, shoulder check and then change lanes. It is actually less distracting then checking your mirror every few seconds to see if there is anybody there.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #18
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The wife's 17 Impreza has it. At first I was all like "oh great more nannies" but after using it for a couple of longish drives I really enjoyed it. That distance maintaining cruise is beautiful.
I call it the Distracted Driver package since it will all but slap you if you do dumb shit..
I love the cruise control, I remember when my dad came and visited us last year, we are just cruising down the highway chatting it up and he says to me "you know they're slowing right" and I casually responded "yeah the car has it taken care of"... the look on his face when the car slowed itself to nearly a crawl then sped back up to highway speed when it was clear was priceless. He thought I was punking him so I had to pull off the next exit so he can try it...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #19
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Toyota Corollas come standard with eyesight tech like adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning even on the manual models. Not sure if it has automatic braking though on stick.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uItQcHIcs5I"]2017 Toyota Corolla SE 6-Speed – Redline: Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHduiWXPNo"]Semi Autonomous driving in a manual 2017 Toyota Corolla? Driving episode 10 - YouTube[/ame]
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #20
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
No manual transmission cars are available with auto stop features. Adaptive cruise control and lane assist have very little, if anything, to do with the limitations presented by a manual transmission.

You cannot have an auto braking feature on a car with a manual transmission because it could result in the engine stalling out, creating an even more dangerous driving situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #21
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Truly hoping never. I bought a twin because it DOESN'T have this stuff.
I agree 100%.

I no longer have my BRZ because I bought my Grandfather's mint condition 1991 British Racing Green Miata (only has 78k miles now..had like 68k when I bought it from him).

The BRZ/86/FR-S are the last of the few analog cars remaining.

I think Eyesight is a great feature; I just do not want it on a Twin.

Then again, maybe it could just be an option...but I would prefer it not lumped in with the Limited trim.

I would like 3 option/standards...

Premium: leave as is

Limited: Leave as it CURRENTLY is

Limited Plus: It would be a limited with Eyesight and Blindspot warning etc etc.
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #22
towch

Drives: in my dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
I agree 100%.

I no longer have my BRZ because I bought my Grandfather's mint condition 1991 British Racing Green Miata (only has 78k miles now..had like 68k when I bought it from him).

The BRZ/86/FR-S are the last of the few analog cars remaining.

I think Eyesight is a great feature; I just do not want it on a Twin.

Then again, maybe it could just be an option...but I would prefer it not lumped in with the Limited trim.

I would like 3 option/standards...

Premium: leave as is

Limited: Leave as it CURRENTLY is

Limited Plus: It would be a limited with Eyesight and Blindspot warning etc etc.
I'm really only interested in blind spot warning. The side mirror indicator will do just fine.
towch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #23
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I wish more manufacturers would adapt this type of driver side mirror. This is one thing I miss dearly from my Golf.

krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Atropine (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #24
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by fields View Post

Me, too. The wide angle driver's mirror takes some getting used to, as the traffic in it really is much closer than it looks, but I love seeing literally everything. Remember Gallagher, the pumpkin smasher, stuck in the 60s? He once riffed on these mirrors that say "OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR. ya know what that means? It means "THIS FUCKIN THING DON'T WORK!"

A terrific driving helper for less than $100 the pair. Just pop the stock lenses out of the pods and snap the new ones in.
krayzie (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #25
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I wish more manufacturers would adapt this type of driver side mirror. This is one thing I miss dearly from my Golf.

That is cool.

My wife's 2500 Ram Truck (she has horses...she actually tows with it) has something similar, but its very gaudy and intrusive. The her mirrors are huge and flip up etc, they do get the job done, but are just huge.

The picture you showed looks really "normal".
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atropine For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #26
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
This mirror is not standard equipment here in North America but I was told it is standard in the EU for most makes. I ordered the OEM part from an online shop in Germany when I drove a Golf. I was able to change lanes stupidly quick and safe without shoulder check.

I think I've seen the new Honda CRV has something similar.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #27
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL Yep I agree . . . The sad part is that the people that could use these features the most will just start paying even less attention since the car really does watch out for you. It truly is the distracted driving package and I can see it preventing a pile of accidents. At least until people stop paying any attention at all that is.
Yer so right! Those of us of a certain age remember the Disney Tomorrowland segments on Sunday nights which illustrated the occupants of self-driving cars (including the driver) playing cards while being whisked down the superhighway at 80 mph. Unfortunately, many dingbats think that day has arrived, equipment or not. We have Eyesight on our Legacy, and it is great, but the thought of relinquishing anything to an automatic nanny on the BRZ just seems antithetical. Who would want their twin telling them what to do? The other way around is the nature of things, isn't it? As Tcoat's tag line tells us, from Scripture: " . . . because racecar." You can't be a distracted driver in a Twin -- you'll kill yourself and several others in a second.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #28
chad1376

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
A couple dumb questions/thoughts regarding these systems. More for discussion than anything...

1) I had a co-worker with driver assist. The car jammed on it's brakes after a shopping bag was flipped out from under another car towards the camera. Maybe it's safer in the long run, but does it increase risk of getting rear-ended by a following car who's not expecting you to hit the brakes?

2) Are these systems defeatable, like during an autocross? In other words, does the system get activated by driving closer to the cones than the car thinks is safe? (Maybe more relevant to VW, where the camera is down low.)
chad1376 is offline   Reply With Quote