follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
BierMeister

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brakes Overheating

This winter has been a bit of a disappointment in NJ, and I've only had 2 opportunities to do some sliding in the snow. Now I'm trying to figure out why my front passenger side brakes were cooked after each time. This led to dangerous rides home where the car was pulling to the left whenever I hit the brakes. I could clearly feel the heat coming off of the front passenger set when I got home.

So my theory is that even with the traction control and stability control set to "off" (holding the "off" button for 5 seconds) the stability control was actuating the front passenger brakes in an effort to correct the slide. It just so happens that I was drifting to the left 90% of the time.

What do you guys think? Could the stability control do something like this? Or are my pads/rotors/calipers defective? I might have a Subaru tech look into it when I go for an oil change.
BierMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
The long press does not disable the electronic brakeforce distribution and E-diff. The EBD is likely interfering, though I have not heard of it doing it to that degree. Youtube "pedal dance" and try that next time.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Caliper sticking could cause this. I drive around in snowstorms using the long press and get no interference.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMeister View Post
This winter has been a bit of a disappointment in NJ, and I've only had 2 opportunities to do some sliding in the snow. Now I'm trying to figure out why my front passenger side brakes were cooked after each time. This led to dangerous rides home where the car was pulling to the left whenever I hit the brakes. I could clearly feel the heat coming off of the front passenger set when I got home.

So my theory is that even with the traction control and stability control set to "off" (holding the "off" button for 5 seconds) the stability control was actuating the front passenger brakes in an effort to correct the slide. It just so happens that I was drifting to the left 90% of the time.

What do you guys think? Could the stability control do something like this? Or are my pads/rotors/calipers defective? I might have a Subaru tech look into it when I go for an oil change.
I'd suggest you take your car in for a brake inspection right away and not wait for your next oil change.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 AM   #5
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
My money is on a stuck caliper. Could be a guide pin, or the piston. Either way common problem in places with lots of rain/snow/or salted roads.

Simple fix. Any auto mechanic can fix it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The long press does not disable the electronic brakeforce distribution and E-diff. The EBD is likely interfering, though I have not heard of it doing it to that degree. Youtube "pedal dance" and try that next time.
For 17+BRZs with a manual transmission the e-diff is disabled by a long press, the pedal dance is not necessary.
Attached Images

NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
Interlocker (02-22-2019), NoHaveMSG (02-22-2019), TRAKRAVN (02-22-2019), Tristor (02-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
^^ I wonder if that's something that can be programmed into the older cars.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
TRAKRAVN

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS - Raven
Would the brake LSD still activate with a clutch type LSD installed, or would there not be enough of a wheel speed difference to activate it?
TRAKRAVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #9
BierMeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
For 17+BRZs with a manual transmission the e-diff is disabled by a long press, the pedal dance is not necessary.
So I guess this disproves my original theory. I plan on bringing it to the dealer next week but I'm afraid they won't discover anything. My pads appear to be worn evenly and the brakes haven't been heating unevenly either. It drove just fine over the last few days.

This has only happened the 2 times that I did donuts in the snow.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:08 AM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKRAVN View Post
Would the brake LSD still activate with a clutch type LSD installed, or would there not be enough of a wheel speed difference to activate it?
It doesn't just look at wheel speed difference there's accelerometer type sensors it takes into account as well. It would still activate I believe.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
TRAKRAVN (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMeister View Post
So I guess this disproves my original theory. I plan on bringing it to the dealer next week but I'm afraid they won't discover anything. My pads appear to be worn evenly and the brakes haven't been heating unevenly either. It drove just fine over the last few days.

This has only happened the 2 times that I did donuts in the snow.

Make sure they check everything brake related as well as suspension related, older fluid may over heat. Also make sure the tire pressures were equal before you do any drifting in the snow type stuff. It's very odd for a 2017 to have brake issues....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
It's a '17, is this it's 2nd winter?

I'm no expert in US weather, but you might be having some brake seizing issues if they've never been dismantled, cleaned and had brake lube applied appropriately. Winter is ROUGH, and road abrasives and salt are ROUGH on disc brakes. Here in Quebec, most disc brake pads that have been lubed will seize solid in the rack in about a year in a half if they're left alone. Considering most cars leave the dealer lots with completely dry brakes, it wouldn't be a surprise to see them starting to jam within a year after they're put in service.

It may not be completely stuck and work in normal driving, but if more heat is being put into them like during "spirited" driving, it's possible for the pads to expand and bind, causing more expansion and binding and more expansion and binding.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
BierMeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
It's a '17, is this it's 2nd winter?

I'm no expert in US weather, but you might be having some brake seizing issues if they've never been dismantled, cleaned and had brake lube applied appropriately. Winter is ROUGH, and road abrasives and salt are ROUGH on disc brakes. Here in Quebec, most disc brake pads that have been lubed will seize solid in the rack in about a year in a half if they're left alone. Considering most cars leave the dealer lots with completely dry brakes, it wouldn't be a surprise to see them starting to jam within a year after they're put in service.

It may not be completely stuck and work in normal driving, but if more heat is being put into them like during "spirited" driving, it's possible for the pads to expand and bind, causing more expansion and binding and more expansion and binding.
I bought the car new in April of last year so this would be its first winter. Like I said, there hasn't been much snow in nj this winter.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #14
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Not sure why there is so much discussion about the brake LSD being the cause when he said it was the FRONT brakes that were overheating...?

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-23-2019)