follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
2013 Scion FR-S: Autocross Prep

Sorry if this is a repost

Last Wednesday, the Edmunds HQ closed early for the Turkey Day holiday. I figured that'd be my chance to get into our shop to get the Scion ready for the Black Friday autocross.

The first order of business was to swap the new wheels and tires out for the originals. This was done so we could compare stock vs. stock setups between the Focus ST and the FR-S. It also gave me a chance to get a little hoonage going.

By the way, what a luxury it is to have a Craftsman compressor and impact wrench at our disposal!

Just a side by-side comparison of old and new should be an indication of the performance gap. I'll be posting more on the autocross itself shortly as I get back into the work mindset after my gravy-induced coma.

In the meantime, think about this: In a minute-long autocross, how many seconds do you think the new and stickier tires are worth on track?

Mark Takahashi, Automotive Editor @ 9,140 miles

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...ross-prep.html

2013 Scion FR-S: Black Friday Autocross, Arrivals

After the Thanksgiving feast, I was not feeling all that confident in my upcoming autocross performance. I overindulged in everything and I felt like my heart was pumping gravy. Call time on Friday was 7am in Fontana, which meant I had to leave CasaHashi no later than 5:30am. It doesn't happen often, but this was one time I wish I had more restraint.

My internal clock woke me up three minutes before my alarm went off. I still felt the effects from the night before. I was at least happy I packed the car the night before.

Just as I approached the main gates of the speedway, I caught a glimpse of my sister's STi Limited and that was comforting. We found a spot and began unloading our cars, leaving room for Kurt and the Focus ST, which he'll be covering separately. There were plenty of FR-S' that showed up, and quite a few had some pretty aggressive rubber mounted to their aftermarket wheels, so the pressure I was placing on myself was building.

Kurt showed up a bit later and we started adjusting tire pressures. I set the FR-S pressures at 41 psi all around. Some people suggested 45 pounds, but I thought that'd be too much. We made our way to registration and tech inspection and had plenty of idle time left.

We headed out on foot to walk the course to get a better idea of what we were in for.

The course was sufficiently wide for the handful of Corvettes to navigate without mowing down cones. That meant there was a ton of room for our long-termers, and that's when a feeling of dread began to creep in. You see, Kurt is fast. He doesn't brag about it, instead, he sandbags his skill.

"Oh, I'm not a good autocrosser," he says. "You'll probably kill my times out there."

B.S. The wider track means he has a better chance of getting into the power on the Focus. Freakin' sandbagger.

Kurt and I both got assigned to the first work group, which meant we had to manage the cones for a full hour before we got into our respective driver seats. That gave us a little time to familiarize ourselves with the first section of the course. The second half was a complete mystery to us.

My apologies if I haven't gotten to the meat of the story yet. I'm still working on the videos, but please stay tuned. It's good stuff.

Mark Takahashi, Automotive Editor @ 9,140 miles

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-arrivals.html
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
2013 Scion FR-S: Black Friday Autocross, Lap One

Kurt and I were assigned the first work group, which meant we were out on the course picking up cones. That gave me the opportunity to at least learn the first section of the Autocross.

The time passed quickly and it was finally our chance to drive.

My first lap was a "getting-to-know-you" run, where I was really just trying to learn the course and find out how much grip I had (or didn't have, in the case of the stock tires).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ns_bVGAzPI"]GOPR0036clip - YouTube[/ame]

The lack of adhesion to the asphalt made for some entertaining moments behind the wheel. It's far too easy to get the tail whipping out, and just as easy to control a drift. So. Much. Fun.

But fun isn't all that fast. My first silly lap took 75.261 seconds. Not a problem, I was well aware that it would be easy to pare that time down into the mid 60s. My next lap was a 70.914, with some slides here and there. Kurt and I agreed that a time in the low 60-second range would be respectable. As we rolled through the lineup, though, we were told that we were only getting six laps before lunch and six laps after. The pressure was on.

Mark Takahashi, Automotive Editor @ 7,140 miles

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...s-lap-one.html
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
The car needs a front sway bar badly. That video is hard to take seriously though, the guy is constantly letting go of the wheel.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
great read!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Jeffsu350

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
what happened to the rest of the laps?
Jeffsu350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Good stuff! but I would strongly suggest changing your habits when it comes to handling the steering wheel. Too much hand sliding when it isn't necessary.

Also, this should be in the proper sub-forum. AutoX/HPDE.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
the guy is constantly letting go of the wheel.

+1... One of the 1st lessons I learned. It's so ingrained in me know, I CAN'T let go of the wheel, even just tooling around.

Perfect example--see abt 1:12 in where I almost loop the car in a sweeper, then after the run moving the car around the grid area--can't let that wheel go! lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4NqFe1GlI&feature=plcp"]George Bonafede MSCC (almost) quickest run in FR-S 11/11/12 - YouTube[/ame]

Nice read.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post

Love how low-slung the FR-S is stock compared to the econoboxes.

In my experience, the FR-S is a lot of fun to autocross because of the way it's setup from the factory. I think some sticky tires and maybe a front sway would be enough to make it competitive.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote