follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #1555
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDotG View Post
Debating running a 18x9.5 with a 255/35. How do you guys who run this set up find it is on near stock power? I have a header and a proper Drift Office dyno tune. Is this set up going to be overkill?
i make 176whp. had this type of big setup for a while now, sure it feels a bit sluggish in 1st and low end of 2nd but honestly once you get going its not really noticeable.

There is always a trade off, but i dont think it really takes that much away from the car, even with smaller tires it isn't exactly fast going straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTipp View Post
What alignment are you guys running for your tires and why? Anyone still at stock height?
What negatives are there for leaving it at stock alignment?
A lot of people run alignments for clearance reasons.

If you dont rub then leave it mild for tire wear purposes, however i do alignments to make the car drive better, turn in better, use all of the tire at auto-x or track.

I run -2 up front and -1.6 in the rear because its now on DD duty. It all depends on how much adjustability you have, you look stock, so at most you can mess with front camber since rear is nonadjustable factory. I would advise you to toe in the rear a bit for more stability.

otherwise, its all preference and is relative to your offset, suspension (strut clearance if springs) and what look you are going for.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #1556
86ish

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
Am I in the meaty club? I don't know the Meaty Manifesto.

17x9|40 Rays 57xtremes with 255/40/17 RS3s. (no spacers. no rolling)

What are you lowered on, any rubbing issue?
86ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #1557
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Feal 441s. I recently added a tad more -camber to the front and found that there is a little rub at max turn. I haven't rolled the fenders or anything. It is minor rub and I only get it when parking
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #1558
Baramzisyan
turbo turtle

Drives: exit GT86 enter STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hello! stock fenders and stock suspension

i'd like to ride 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear

please help with correct offset and how wide tyre can i ride?
Baramzisyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #1559
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramzisyan View Post
hello! stock fenders and stock suspension

i'd like to ride 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear

please help with correct offset and how wide tyre can i ride?
265 rear. 235/245 front.

offset depending.

will look goofy 100% stock height

Old 10-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #1560
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
@Jive Turkey:

On a somewhat separate subject, how are those MPSS compared to the RE11s you were running? I imagine that the MPSS doesn't have the level of grip the RE11s do, but I'm guessing they're a much more compliant street tire.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #1561
Metabrz
001 of 012

Drives: MY12 NZDM Subaru BRZ "BRZ001"
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Joined the meaty club

18x9.5+38 Enkei RPF1 - freshly painted
255/35/18 MPSS
Attached Images

Hicklinc (02-25-2018)
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #1562
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What's the reasoning for running such wide tires? Are you all making 300whp?
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #1563
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered_memory View Post
People mainly do it for looks with a stock engine.. I just picked up a set of 18x9.5 wheels, and I actually never expected id have wheels this large on my car. Theyre fairly light though at 20 lbs. I actually wanted 16's lol. I just came up on a solid deal for a beautiful set of wheels, but if I ever take it to the track im going to put the stockies back on with a sticky tire.
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #1564
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
@Jive Turkey:

On a somewhat separate subject, how are those MPSS compared to the RE11s you were running? I imagine that the MPSS doesn't have the level of grip the RE11s do, but I'm guessing they're a much more compliant street tire.
i love them so much more. RE-11 yes, so much more grip, more feel as sidewalls were stiffer, but they also sucked unless it was a warm day and i got them warm and they were AWFUL in the rain.

thus since mine is more of a DD now, i will run the MPSS which are comfy, good in wet, don't need to get up to temp to have some grip, higher tread wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered_memory View Post
your'e being ignorant.

more grip, more cornering speed.

before you say this is over kill for the car, for those of us who use this as a dual purpose car (auto-x/track + daily) it really isn't at all. Consider this, the Spec 86 series cars run a 255 race slick (closer to a265 really) and those cars have very basic mods and a basic tune NA and they still can use even more tire. We are running a street tire, i can still get the car to rotate quite easily even with this size.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jive Turkey For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (11-05-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #1565
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
i love them so much more. RE-11 yes, so much more grip, more feel as sidewalls were stiffer, but they also sucked unless it was a warm day and i got them warm and they were AWFUL in the rain.

thus since mine is more of a DD now, i will run the MPSS which are comfy, good in wet, don't need to get up to temp to have some grip, higher tread wear.

your'e being ignorant.

before you say this is over kill for the car, for those of us who use this as a dual purpose car (auto-x/track + daily) it really isn't at all. Consider this, the Spec 86 series cars run a 255 race slick (closer to a265 really) and those cars have very basic mods and a basic tune NA and they still can use even more tire. We are running a street tire, i can still get the car to rotate quite easily even with this size.
I'm not at all. I'm asking a legitimate question on the reasoning behind wider tires. No need to get offended.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:29 AM   #1566
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
your'e being ignorant.

I completely disagree

Who says a skinnier tire can't corner as quick, if not quicker, than a wider tire... All you really need is a good compound and a good driver. It's all about the lines, especially if we only have 200 to the crank. A 9.5 inch tire is overkill
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #1567
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estey View Post
I completely disagree

Who says a skinnier tire can't corner as quick, if not quicker, than a wider tire... All you really need is a good compound and a good driver. It's all about the lines, especially if we only have 200 to the crank. A 9.5 inch tire is overkill
Physics says

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #1568
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
Physics says
I can't prove it on the BRZ setup but generally, a thinner tire in the front will have better turn in. Physics wise, think of it as these two examples, two wheels far apart and twowheels close together. Now imagine the distance between the two tires in these two examples as the width of a single tire. When 2 wheels are far apart, one wheel does all the turning while the other wheel creates understeer. Now for example two, place these two wheels close together in the middle. They both act together to turn instead of one creating understeer/ one wheels slower than the other. Now squish this theory into a single tire. Larger the tires, the greater the travel circumference between the inner and outer side of the tire.
That's why some people run a staggerred setup with thinner tires in the front for better turn in and entry speed. This is my best shot at a simple physics lesson.
So physics wise, a skinner tire may be faster. There's so many variables though. So whoever you quoted may actually be right.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote