follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
eliminate rear deck popping with rear strut bar?

My understanding is that strut bars stabilizes a car's chassis, do you guys thinking installing a rear strut bar can eliminate the rear deck popping noise?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I don't know about that but just last week my rear deck noise problem was finally corrected by my Scion dealer. They first used a new kind of lubricant on the metal cross brace under the package shelf. That didn't correct the problem. They then removed the papckage shelf and laid down adhesive foam rubber on top of the metal cross brace and that corrected the problem. Having owned my car since last September it's almost like having a new car. It is now totally problem free.

If your dealership has a problem understanding this, tell them to contact Desert Toyota of Tucson and they will explain the procedure to him.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
FT_Monk

Drives: Over the hill WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
My understanding is that strut bars stabilizes a car's chassis, do you guys thinking installing a rear strut bar can eliminate the rear deck popping noise?
My WRX has rear deck rattle and was cured with a rear strut bar. Don't know if the 2 issues are the same, but then BRZ is just another reincarnation of the Impreza.
FT_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Wes

Drives: JRSC'd Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
No it doesn't, I have the Cusco rear strut bars on as well and I still get the popping noise, but I haven't had it much as of lately. You would need some lubricant to get rid of it. There was a tsb pdf on it.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
Vladror

Drives: Toyota 86 M High - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I don't know about that but just last week my rear deck noise problem was finally corrected by my Scion dealer. They first used a new kind of lubricant on the metal cross brace under the package shelf. That didn't correct the problem. They then removed the papckage shelf and laid down adhesive foam rubber on top of the metal cross brace and that corrected the problem. Having owned my car since last September it's almost like having a new car. It is now totally problem free.

If your dealership has a problem understanding this, tell them to contact Desert Toyota of Tucson and they will explain the procedure to him.
can you take (and post) a pic of where they inserted the foam?
Vladror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
whaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladror View Post
can you take (and post) a pic of where they inserted the foam?
Sorry, when I get to Google I'm already over my head when it comes to the computer. Open the trunk, lean in and look up. You will see a metal cross member running across the car under the package shelf where the third brake ligh sets. The foam was glued to the top of that cross member, between it and the package shelf. They didn't insert it. They removed the package shelf, put the foam on top of the cross member and then put the package shelf back in.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Is there an official Toyota TSB for it? From the sticky TSB list only Subaru has it so far. Or should I just go in and complain / bring the Subaru TSB as proof it is a known problem?

edit: looking at the TSB I think I'll do the procedure #1 myself and if that doesn't fix it I guess I'll bring it in as I don't want to remove my inner rear trim. I'm surprised I never noticed this issue till recently.. it's pretty annoying.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
whaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Is there an official Toyota TSB for it? From the sticky TSB list only Subaru has it so far. Or should I just go in and complain / bring the Subaru TSB as proof it is a known problem?

edit: looking at the TSB I think I'll do the procedure #1 myself and if that doesn't fix it I guess I'll bring it in as I don't want to remove my inner rear trim. I'm surprised I never noticed this issue till recently.. it's pretty annoying.
I'm not sure if it's in the form of a TSB or not. I do know my Scion dealership (Desert Toyota of Tucson) is aware of the problem and they know that Toyota is aware of the problem. I took my car in the day that a factory rep was there and that's how I finally got a fix. If your dealership acts as if they've never heard of this problem, ask them to call Desert Toyota of Tucson 1-520-296-8535.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm not sure if it's in the form of a TSB or not. I do know my Scion dealership (Desert Toyota of Tucson) is aware of the problem and they know that Toyota is aware of the problem. I took my car in the day that a factory rep was there and that's how I finally got a fix. If your dealership acts as if they've never heard of this problem, ask them to call Desert Toyota of Tucson 1-520-296-8535.
Is there a specific service advisor you are willing to disclose? I don't think it'll bode so well if I just tell them to call the dealership since some service advisors don't know much about the car.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
whaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Is there a specific service advisor you are willing to disclose? I don't think it'll bode so well if I just tell them to call the dealership since some service advisors don't know much about the car.
My service advisor's name is Kerry. I don't know his last name but he's the only Kerry there. He's been our service advisor since 1999 (on other cars) and knows his job very well. I forget the guys name but I also know the service manager is aware of this problem/fix.

p.s. It might help if Kerry knew whose car your man was calling about. I don't think he'd recognize whaap's FR-S. It's the FR-S owned by Bruce Powers that they did the fix on.

Last edited by whaap; 07-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
l0aded (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
My service advisor's name is Kerry. I don't know his last name but he's the only Kerry there. He's been our service advisor since 1999 (on other cars) and knows his job very well. I forget the guys name but I also know the service manager is aware of this problem/fix.

p.s. It might help if Kerry knew whose car your man was calling about. I don't think he'd recognize whaap's FR-S. It's the FR-S owned by Bruce Powers that they did the fix on.
I apologize for putting you on blast here but that is one of the most badass name I've ever heard.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
whaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
I apologize for putting you on blast here but that is one of the most badass name I've ever heard.
Then you will get a kick out of my middle name: Lee