follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #43
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
If its already loose you may be too late for that to work.
??? it works fine. i never said mine isnt working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
Don't just extend, get a splitter as well

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
yeah i should get splitter
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #44
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
??? it works fine. i never said mine isnt working.
Oops sorry about that, I confused you with someone else.

For those of you that don't have issues yet, definitely grab an extension cable or splitter now in order to keep those pins safe in the future. Re-pinning the connector was less than fun...which reminds me, what kind of jerk puts two black wires with yellow stripes in the same harness, on the same row, separated by only 1 pin? Keep track of which one goes where if you do have to re-pin it. I wrapped the outermost black/yellow wire with a small piece of electrical tape so i could more easily identify one from the other.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:29 AM   #45
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Oops sorry about that, I confused you with someone else.

For those of you that don't have issues yet, definitely grab an extension cable or splitter now in order to keep those pins safe in the future. Re-pinning the connector was less than fun...which reminds me, what kind of jerk puts two black wires with yellow stripes in the same harness, on the same row, separated by only 1 pin? Keep track of which one goes where if you do have to re-pin it. I wrapped the outermost black/yellow wire with a small piece of electrical tape so i could more easily identify one from the other.
Jesus. Mine is currently not working(sorry for cross post). Flashing with OFT works but no dongles work. Come to think of it I believe it may have stopped working properly when I installed my OBD2 extension. I have since returned it. Anyone got a pic of a damaged plug? Cab we just bend the pins? Here's mine: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yunstdfah...cF3j675b4FBcha

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #46
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I know this is over a month old. Not sure resolved your issue DC2R, but your image isn't there anymore.

After receiving my personal FR-S back form the dealer, I was concerned about the OBD port as well. Just about to order parts to repin it, and couldn't think of a reason why the OBD fuse might have been blown but..... it was.

It's such a duh thing but:

1) check OBD fuse
2) play around with port

At least I ordered a right angle extension and will be able to leave that in now.

-Chris @ FT
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #47
DC2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
I know this is over a month old. Not sure resolved your issue DC2R, but your image isn't there anymore.

After receiving my personal FR-S back form the dealer, I was concerned about the OBD port as well. Just about to order parts to repin it, and couldn't think of a reason why the OBD fuse might have been blown but..... it was.

1) check OBD fuse
2) play around with port

At least I ordered a right angle extension and will be able to leave that in now.

-Chris @ FT
Thanks for the reply yes I did fix it. I put a splitter in the board and bent the pins in adapter on the other side of the splitter. Can't get my USB one to work though.....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #48
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Mine stopped working mid flash once. Bend the pins on your plug *in*. In this pic, bend the top row down, then the bottom row up. Fixed the issue on both of the ecutek cables I had. Only bend them 1-2mm.

post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to post_break For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (11-23-2016)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #49
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
K so old thread but, is there any updated or different less flimsy pins you can swap to that will stop this problem?
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #50
DC2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
K so old thread but, is there any updated or different less flimsy pins you can swap to that will stop this problem?
My answer is buy an OBD2 extension or y cable and leave it connected. Then just play with the other end. Less risk of breaking factory port. Most of these cheap OBD2 devices have crap pins. I compare to my OFT as the gold standard

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DC2R For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (05-30-2016)
Old 12-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #51
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
Mine stopped working mid flash once. Bend the pins on your plug *in*. In this pic, bend the top row down, then the bottom row up. Fixed the issue on both of the ecutek cables I had. Only bend them 1-2mm.
This worked for me on two cables. However, I bent them 1mm or less; otherwise I was not able to plug in the cable. Tight tolerances in the connector.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #52
dave-

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thread revival!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
If you run an OBD2 BT adapter like OBD2MX the male pins are very thick and the factory OBD2 female pins will get damaged after only 10 or so connections. Always use an extension cable for these.
Was switching between a scanguage for daily use and tactrix whenever I had to flash, no issues for 12mths. Used an ODBLink MX a dozen times and since had 2 writes fail mid flash, luckily they worked on second attempt. Not to say the MX is the only culprit, the ports really aren't designed for repeat use but interesting that you mention it.

Might try bending the pins a bit next time but probably time to replace the pins and leave an extension cable connected instead.
dave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #53
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Bringing this thread back from the dead.

I've been using a Veepeak OBD2 Wi-Fi reader with DashCommand on the iPhone. Has worked perfectly, and was only $16. http://amzn.to/2heIwkI

I've also flashed my car with an OFT, and used it for logging a couple of times. Flashed back to stock last weekend, no problems.

Today, my mechanic flashed a Delicious ECUtek tune and that worked fine. When he went to log the tune, the connection to the OBD kept crapping out. We tried 2 different cables, same results. We had to keep jiggling it to keep the connection. He used one of the cables to flash a different FR-S after mine, and it was fine.

So it seems like my OBD2 pins are slightly bent, and are being finicky.

I bought a low profile OBDII extension cable for 10 bucks: http://amzn.to/2ghLoM0
Plugged it in, and now both my ECUtek cable and OBD2 Wi-Fi adapter work fine. Problem solved.

I just leave the cable plugged in, and tuck it up under the panel with the supplied velcro. A small part of the cable is visible where it comes out of the port, but it's not in the way at all. Happy with the solution.

Last edited by TofuJoe; 12-06-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Solved the issue
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TofuJoe For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (02-11-2022)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #54
ysu

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post

1) check OBD fuse
2) play around with port

-Chris @ FT
Which one is the OBD Fuse if I may ask?
My port has stopped functioning for multiple devices, so I suspect it's not just a connector issue.

Edit: nevermind, found it. I was looking in the main fuse box of course, under the bonnet.
For later reference, it's under the steering wheel on the side, and it's clearly labeled "obd".

And yes, it was blown, which is extremely hard to tell it seems. Only after replacing it I could be sure.

Last edited by ysu; 02-23-2017 at 12:17 AM.
ysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #55
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
I tried this and it worked perfectly. Good call! Now can you tell me how to recover the license it ate?! lol
B T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #56
G_Rossney

Drives: 2013 BRZ, Limited, 6spd MT, GBS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to G_Rossney Send a message via MSN to G_Rossney Send a message via Yahoo to G_Rossney
AIM Data Logger is having issues

Seems like the OBDII port issue could be a real problem. I was at the track and my AIM Solo DL stopped getting info from the ECU. I also noticed that at times it was not getting power from the OBDII port, but if I wiggled it, It would connect. I also had an extension cable, but I think the years of connecting readers, BT adapters, etc my pins have been shot.

I'm going to see about bending the pins to make contact and attach my extension cable and use that.

I also saw a video where a guy bought this as a replacement for his OBDII port on his FRS. Seems like an pretty good kit for $40
https://iwireusa.com/products/obd2-p...40734201118873
G_Rossney is offline   Reply With Quote