follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
encity5

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Something softer than sportlines

I am currently lowered on eibach sportiness with stock shocks.

Looking to return to a ride comfort closer to stock. Been out of researching the car for a few months now, lots of new information I'm trying to take in...

Does anyone have a suggestion on what kind of setup i should be looking out for to reach something closer to stock level of ride comfort?

I was thinking of either getting a set of blistens or koni shocks, and either going back to stock springs or something that lowers only .5inch or so. (RCE yellows?)

On the other hand i was thinking if its worth going coilovers (if its more cost effective) at which point, there are a wealth of options that i am still sifting through... But i am not looking for performance really, just something with a really minor drop with a softer ride.

I don't have stock springs. but i suppose i can always go back to those.
suggestions? set me in a good direction!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
I have the hotchkis springs. I can say they feel like stock +. A smidge more aggressive than stock, but wont beat you up.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to post_break For This Useful Post:
encity5 (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by encity5 View Post
I am currently lowered on eibach sportiness with stock shocks.

Looking to return to a ride comfort closer to stock. Been out of researching the car for a few months now, lots of new information I'm trying to take in...

Does anyone have a suggestion on what kind of setup i should be looking out for to reach something closer to stock level of ride comfort?

I was thinking of either getting a set of blistens or koni shocks, and either going back to stock springs or something that lowers only .5inch or so. (RCE yellows?)

On the other hand i was thinking if its worth going coilovers (if its more cost effective) at which point, there are a wealth of options that i am still sifting through... But i am not looking for performance really, just something with a really minor drop with a softer ride.

I don't have stock springs. but i suppose i can always go back to those.
suggestions? set me in a good direction!
The big drop of the Sportlines is what hurts the ride so much. You'd be happy RCE Yellows. Especially with some Bilstein HDs.

Coilovers IMO aren't worth it unless your focus is on performance.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
encity5 (02-27-2015), Koa (02-27-2015), wparsons (02-28-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
^ this

However I will say, I'm lowered on sportlines with Bilstein B8 shocks...

absolutely love the overall look and performance. Haven't taken it to the track but BOY does it perform. RCEs/Swifts would be even better, I can wager that much.

Love the drop of sportlines, though. Couldn't beat it for $150 for the set from a member ( also came with stock struts on because he couldn't figure out how to take them off )
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
encity5 (02-27-2015), Racecomp Engineering (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
As already said, as a general rule: lowered = stiffer springs required. It's because you're losing suspension travel. Coilovers can get around this a bit, as does a well matched spring and shock setup.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check out the springs from Mach V Motorsports in Sterling, Va. Dan has these installed on his BRZ and it looks great. I think about an inch drop and the fenderwell to tire clearance looks right. http://www.fastwrx.com/collections/springs/products/mach-v-lowering-springs-for-brz-fr-s

Once you click the page, wait for the pics to scroll. I'm sure Dan would be glad to talk to you if you gave him a call.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
encity5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
The big drop of the Sportlines is what hurts the ride so much. You'd be happy RCE Yellows. Especially with some Bilstein HDs.

Coilovers IMO aren't worth it unless your focus is on performance.

- Andy
When you say aren't worth it, are you talking about value?
A full set of RCE yellows and shocks will run me about 1400, while a set of tein basis coil overs can run me 800... So my dilemma of going to coilovers was more price driven since I seem to find a number of reputable basic coil overs under a grand.

I would love to run yellows, don't get me wrong (you guys didn't have them available when I bought my sport lines )
But since I wanted to replace my shocks and springs was wondering if it's worth going to coilovers unless the ride quality won't be as good (or some other factor that I'm missing)
Old 02-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
When you say aren't worth it, are you talking about value?
A full set of RCE yellows and shocks will run me about 1400, while a set of tein basis coil overs can run me 800... So my dilemma of going to coilovers was more price driven since I seem to find a number of reputable basic coil overs under a grand.

I would love to run yellows, don't get me wrong (you guys didn't have them available when I bought my sport lines )
But since I wanted to replace my shocks and springs was wondering if it's worth going to coilovers unless the ride quality won't be as good (or some other factor that I'm missing)
Coilovers aren't automatically better! The Koni or Bilstein damper will be much higher quality than anything you find under a grand.

- Andy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
encity5 (02-28-2015), wparsons (02-28-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
encity5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Coilovers aren't automatically better! The Koni or Bilstein damper will be much higher quality than anything you find under a grand.

- Andy
I definitely know a quality shock/spring setup is better than a cheap coilovers setup.

I guess I was wondering what kind of benefits can I expect if all I'm looking for is a really minor drop from stock height, with similar ride quality. Just thought this answer might differ if I am not looking for performance.

Longevity? Comfort? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm trying to learn!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
If ride quality is your overall concern, I would go with the suggestion of RCE Yellows + shocks. Another option is Eibach Pro Kit. Like others have said, the lower you go, the more ride quality you give up. Also, without a shock meant for the shorter stroke, you'll also be giving up ride quality.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
I definitely know a quality shock/spring setup is better than a cheap coilovers setup.

I guess I was wondering what kind of benefits can I expect if all I'm looking for is a really minor drop from stock height, with similar ride quality. Just thought this answer might differ if I am not looking for performance.

Longevity? Comfort? Sorry for my ignorance but I'm trying to learn!
Coilovers (generally) have an advantage if you want a larger drop. They usually use shorter shock bodies so you can have more drop without giving up too much travel. For mild/minor drops, a quality set of springs and a quality shock will perform and ride better unless you spend the money for a quality coilover.

- Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-01-2015)