follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #29
meltover

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I bought the Exedy FJK1005 kit a few months ago from 86speed, and I emailed them asking if the kit came with the revised bearing (since they also sold the revised bearing separately on their website and were aware of it), and they told me it did.

I inspected it when the kit came in, and used the thread on here that compared the old vs new bearing, and it looked exactly like the new one, just without the white dot, so I trusted their word. But now you're showing that the old bearing can look exactly like the new one according to Google images.....so when did Toyota/Subaru update the old bearing design? And why do that without saying anything, and still sell it under the old part number?

I'm just hoping I didn't put another crappy bearing in and 86speed wasn't aware of this.

I will also add I still hear transmission whine when clutch-out and in neutral, which goes away with clutch-in. This happened with my old clutch and also my new one w/ new bearing, so it cannot be the TOB, still too fresh. I've been using Motul 300 in the trans the whole time, could be whine due to that? I've had my new clutch/TOB for about 3k miles now, no issues other than that pesky soft whining I can't get rid of.
meltover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #30
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Yeah idk, I guess that explains why they use the white dot to differentiate the two versions. Since I'm not 100% sure I'm just going to spend the $35.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #31
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I also asked Exedy a month ago before buying a new clutch from them to go in with the valve spring recall and they told me it was the old bearing so I bought an updated one from Toyota. AFAIK that is the only bearing that is an upgrade from the old one.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #32
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I got the new/revised TOB from Toyota for $35 which has the white dot.

But now my TOB noise has gone away completely and it operates 100% like normal (never had functional issues, just a noise). I think I am going to ride out my Amazon return window for the clutch and if I still have no issues I'm going to return it. I will hang onto the revised TOB for when and if it's needed.

In other news, I went to a BMW dealer which was right next to the Toyota dealer to see an M2 they had on the sales floor. I think my next car has been determined. I sat it in it and it feels 100% better than the S3/RS3 I test drove. Looks way better in person than it does in pictures. Now just need to hunt down a clean 2018 model for ~$40k. Leaning towards the automatic DCT but not 100% sure.
Attached Images

B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote