follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #253
HapaHaole

Drives: Grocery cart
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86BRZ View Post
My car is arriving Sunday from CO, it takes 4 days because of stops, and will go to DMV next week to register. I will find out this smog thing for all of us.
Let me know how that goes, CA DMV rules state the car must of been registered in another state and have over 6 or 7K miles on it for them to let you register the car in CA. I am very curious how they will handle your situation.
HapaHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #254
86BRZ

Drives: BRZ Limited arrived on 9/1/2012
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FINALLY!! My wait is OVER!! WRB MT Limited arrived Saturday. One day sooner. The biggest on-line/mail order sight unseen no test drive purchase ever! Odometer just like the document - 5 miles only landed in my front door! The only thing I can be picky about is the bumper and windshield is full of bugs after travel 1000+ miles, and the body is stick with a thin layer of Nevada desert dust. It comes off from a 40 foot long car transporter truck/trailer. Needs a good hand wash, that's all. I can tell the driver is a Pro do this load/ unload cars everyday so many times. My worry about the car may got a ding or scratch is over (or I should not be worry at all). Price? I have it @ MSRP shipped, plus license/tax of course. CO dealer also provide a temporary plate (paper) and CO tag so I can drive 60 days in CA until registration. "Someone" suggested me to register almost 60 day to get full use and save a couple months of CA registration fees.

I will post the DMV process after my visit to them, soon.
86BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86BRZ For This Useful Post:
PMok (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #255
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
FINALLY!! My wait is OVER!! WRB MT Limited arrived Saturday. One day sooner. The biggest on-line/mail order sight unseen no test drive purchase ever! Odometer just like the document - 5 miles only landed in my front door! The only thing I can be picky about is the bumper and windshield is full of bugs after travel 1000+ miles, and the body is stick with a thin layer of Nevada desert dust. It comes off from a 40 foot long car transporter truck/trailer. Needs a good hand wash, that's all. I can tell the driver is a Pro do this load/ unload cars everyday so many times. My worry about the car may got a ding or scratch is over (or I should not be worry at all). Price? I have it @ MSRP shipped, plus license/tax of course. CO dealer also provide a temporary plate (paper) and CO tag so I can drive 60 days in CA until registration. "Someone" suggested me to register almost 60 day to get full use and save a couple months of CA registration fees.

I will post the DMV process after my visit to them, soon.
I just got my car from CO last week.. Maybe I should wait too... hhhmmmm.. Now I need to look for CO temp tags in my paperwork.
Norkoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #256
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
I just got my car from CO last week.. Maybe I should wait too... hhhmmmm.. Now I need to look for CO temp tags in my paperwork.
curious to see how it was handled, since you bought from Heuberger too right? I thought my sales person told me they would handle registering in CA for me, she said their title/reg people did CA sales all the time...
PMok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #257
vubaru
Now with Boost!

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaHaole View Post
Let me know how that goes, CA DMV rules state the car must of been registered in another state and have over 6 or 7K miles on it for them to let you register the car in CA. I am very curious how they will handle your situation.
I bought my BRZ in Portland, OR and drove it 600 mi to CA. Then I registered it with the DMV at 700 mi on the odo after getting it smogged and inspected, no problemo. I have tags, registration, etc.

My dealer did not take care of sales tax. The DMV did that when I registered the car, although they apparently f***ed something up so I need to go back, but I think it had something to do with my paperwork rather than an issue with the laws. I'll go back and handle it without an issue, most likely.

Just a FYI.
vubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #258
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
I bought my BRZ in Portland, OR and drove it 600 mi to CA. Then I registered it with the DMV at 700 mi on the odo after getting it smogged and inspected, no problemo. I have tags, registration, etc.

My dealer did not take care of sales tax. The DMV did that when I registered the car, although they apparently f***ed something up so I need to go back, but I think it had something to do with my paperwork rather than an issue with the laws. I'll go back and handle it without an issue, most likely.

Just a FYI.
so you are required to smog even if the car is brand new??
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #259
vubaru
Now with Boost!

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 View Post
If it is purchased out of state, yup.

California
vubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #260
Norkoastal

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
curious to see how it was handled, since you bought from Heuberger too right? I thought my sales person told me they would handle registering in CA for me, she said their title/reg people did CA sales all the time...
I honestly feel like I got the rookie finance guy on my deal.. He wasnt in sync with the sales person at all... In addition he was looking for the "easy path" to submit title.. Im headed to dmv thursday to get paperwork filed.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #261
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 View Post
ANY car that is not purchased in CA needs to be smogged to be registered.
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #262
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
hmmm I am a AAA member so I wonder if I can go into a local AAA office and get the registration taken care of when the time comes, without having to deal with DMV. I avoid the DMV like the plague.
PMok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #263
86BRZ

Drives: BRZ Limited arrived on 9/1/2012
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
The little business card like tag is to put inside the car. The paper plate with a big hand written expire date is to display from the rear window inside.
86BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86BRZ For This Useful Post:
Norkoastal (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #264
Norkoastal

Garage
Quote:
The little business card like tag is to put inside the car. The paper plate with a big hand written expire date is to display from the rear window inside.
Considering i'm running 35% all around, we'll just be ridin dirty for a few more days
Old 09-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #265
Deepmist

Drives: Honda Prelude
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
just backed out On a Whiteout MT in Chico...we had it on hold but it's now for sale. Chuck Patterson Scion ask for Eric
Can I ask why you backed out? You seem to be the second one in here who walked away at Chico.
Deepmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #266
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepmist View Post
Can I ask why you backed out? You seem to be the second one in here who walked away at Chico.
I live about 3.5 hours away, and my dad and I got the option of getting a car with less options on it and with 0 miles on the odometer (even though it starts at 1) and we get to wash and detail the car ourselves..we also didn't want the paint protection on the hood, the rear bumper appliqué nor the BeSpoke unit.

If we didn't get the option of getting a *technically* base FR-S we would've bought that one in Chico despite the medium-long drive. They were selling it to us for MSRP, with no aftermarket stuff. We had the car on hold and were supposed to pick it up last Friday but last Thursday my dad got the option of our preferred FR-S.

If we did buy the one in Chico, we would've peeled the protection film and bumper appliqué off. And the bespoke would've been useless. We'd rather wait a little longer than spend $1500 on options we don't like.

I believe that the Whiteout is still available. There might be 2...one has around 185 miles from a dealer trade, and the other one with 10 miles we were going to get.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote