follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
BRZ and NA Miata Comparison Pics

Hi Guys,

Essex Parts had the chance to get a peek at a pre-production BRZ at a local dealer yesterday, and we took the opportunity to snap some pics next to my NA Miata. I know a lot of people have been anxious to see exactly how big the BRZ is vs. other sports cars. These pics give a good idea of the relative size of the BRZ vs. one of the existing benchmarks in lightweight road cars. Check out our Facebook page for a few pics, and we have a bigger gallery on our website. Thanks, and enjoy.

Last edited by JRitt; 03-28-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Made hyperlink more obvious
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks a lot!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't know if you had better luck there at Folger, but I was shocked by not only the lack of interest but the lack of knowledge by essentially every rep there. It seems like the only person there who cares about the BRZ is the guy with all the preorders (mine included).
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
JRitt

A few comments vs. some of the other cars that I'm very familiar with...I'll just sort of ramble on, so please bear with me.

The BRZ definitely feels quite a bit bigger than the Miata when you're sitting in it. Everything about it is bigger. It's wider, more shoulder room, far more legroom, headroom, etc. In the Miata, I feel like I'm on the verge of bursting out of the car. It borders on discomfort for me during a long haul. Frankly, the Miata feels like a tin can, and you feel a bit vulnerable in it when you're on the road with big trucks, etc. I didn't get that feeling at all with the BRZ. It feels more substantial.

I bought one of the first 350Z's to hit our shores back in 2002, and the feel of the BRZ cabin is very similar to that car in my opinion. By feel I mean how the car fits around you. The roof, side sills/shape of the windows, view to the ground and out the back window are all reminiscent of the 350Z. The side windows even do the same little stunt of opening an inch when the doors are opened. That said, the BRZ feels a bit more snug, like everything is on a 3/4 scale to the 350Z. I think sight lines are also a bit better in the BRZ than they are in the 350Z.

The materials, color scheme, and overall design direction also remind of the Z interior, except I think the materials in the BRZ are definitely nicer. The seats in the Limited model we previewed were really nice. I have a 32" waist, and they were extremely comfortable and fairly snug on me. Also, the steering wheel is sweet. It's definitely one of the nicer wheels I've ever seen on a relatively inexpensive car. Not only is it small and comfortable to hold, its range of adjustment is excellent. With harnesses on, I don't think most people will have any trouble getting it into a comfortable driving position. Also, you sit very low in this car. My instant reaction when I plopped down into the seat was "NSX." It has the same feel that the NSX has...you sort of fall down into it, which is awesome. When these cars are lowered you are really going to be down there.

Headroom was pretty solid. The roof has bubble cutouts to allow for extra space. I'm pushing 6'4" with a 34" inseam. With a helmet, I'd probably just be brushing the left side of the headliner with my visor if I turned my head, and I don't think it will be problematic.

I had tons of legroom. I couldn't believe how much I could stretch out.

The shifter felt closer to the S2000 than anything else I've ever touched. It was a little longer than my miata throw, and not quite as notchy. It felt awesome, and should be a treat to row.

The gauge layout was very clean and tidy.

The ****pit is definitely wider than the S2000. I think part of that feeling is because the center tunnel in the BRZ isn't as tall as the S2000. You therefore don't feel as separated from the passenger as you do in that car. Also, there's more spread to the dash than there is in the S2000. In other words, the S2000 might as well be a one person car, because the dash is barren to the right of the center tunnel. I had more shoulder room than I do in an S2000 (I have fairly broad shoulders and wear a 44 suit coat).

I'm actually impressed with how substantial the car feels with the weight being so low. My Miata weighs about 2100 lbs., and as I mentioned above it feels like a thin-skin tin can. After we strip some weight out of the BRZ, I'm thinking 2550 lbs. will be well within reach. I owned a '98 Integra Type R, which weighed about that much and had very similar power. I think this car is going to be blast with that power-to-weight ratio. Again vs. the Type R, the interior feel of the BRZ is much more comfortable, substantial, upscale, and finished.

That's about it for now. My overall impression sitting in the car is that it feels like a shrunken, more upscale, lower 350Z.

One final note...the car is too quiet...almost silent at idle. It sounded much better as I approached redline...just kidding. I sadly didn't get to drive it! Soon.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
JRitt

Quote:
I don't know if you had better luck there at Folger, but I was shocked by not only the lack of interest but the lack of knowledge by essentially every rep there. It seems like the only person there who cares about the BRZ is the guy with all the preorders (mine included).
I think that is pretty much par for course. Over the past ten years, I don't think I've ever gone into a dealership and not known far more about their products than their own employees do. It's pretty normal. To top it off, Subaru seems to be pretty cagey about the info they have provided to the dealers regarding the BRZ. If their people don't take the initiative to educate themselves via other channels, they really don't have all that much info to share!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
A few comments vs. some of the other cars that I'm very familiar with...I'll just sort of ramble on, so please bear with me.

The BRZ definitely feels quite a bit bigger than the Miata when you're sitting in it. Everything about it is bigger. It's wider, more shoulder room, far more legroom, headroom, etc. In the Miata, I feel like I'm on the verge of bursting out of the car. It borders on discomfort for me during a long haul. Frankly, the Miata feels like a tin can, and you feel a bit vulnerable in it when you're on the road with big trucks, etc. I didn't get that feeling at all with the BRZ. It feels more substantial.

I bought one of the first 350Z's to hit our shores back in 2002, and the feel of the BRZ cabin is very similar to that car in my opinion. By feel I mean how the car fits around you. The roof, side sills/shape of the windows, view to the ground and out the back window are all reminiscent of the 350Z. The side windows even do the same little stunt of opening an inch when the doors are opened. That said, the BRZ feels a bit more snug, like everything is on a 3/4 scale to the 350Z. I think sight lines are also a bit better in the BRZ than they are in the 350Z.

The materials, color scheme, and overall design direction also remind of the Z interior, except I think the materials in the BRZ are definitely nicer. The seats in the Limited model we previewed were really nice. I have a 32" waist, and they were extremely comfortable and fairly snug on me. Also, the steering wheel is sweet. It's definitely one of the nicer wheels I've ever seen on a relatively inexpensive car. Not only is it small and comfortable to hold, its range of adjustment is excellent. With harnesses on, I don't think most people will have any trouble getting it into a comfortable driving position. Also, you sit very low in this car. My instant reaction when I plopped down into the seat was "NSX." It has the same feel that the NSX has...you sort of fall down into it, which is awesome. When these cars are lowered you are really going to be down there.

Headroom was pretty solid. The roof has bubble cutouts to allow for extra space. I'm pushing 6'4" with a 34" inseam. With a helmet, I'd probably just be brushing the left side of the headliner with my visor if I turned my head, and I don't think it will be problematic.

I had tons of legroom. I couldn't believe how much I could stretch out.

The shifter felt closer to the S2000 than anything else I've ever touched. It was a little longer than my miata throw, and not quite as notchy. It felt awesome, and should be a treat to row.

The gauge layout was very clean and tidy.

The ****pit is definitely wider than the S2000. I think part of that feeling is because the center tunnel in the BRZ isn't as tall as the S2000. You therefore don't feel as separated from the passenger as you do in that car. Also, there's more spread to the dash than there is in the S2000. In other words, the S2000 might as well be a one person car, because the dash is barren to the right of the center tunnel. I had more shoulder room than I do in an S2000 (I have fairly broad shoulders and wear a 44 suit coat).

I'm actually impressed with how substantial the car feels with the weight being so low. My Miata weighs about 2100 lbs., and as I mentioned above it feels like a thin-skin tin can. After we strip some weight out of the BRZ, I'm thinking 2550 lbs. will be well within reach. I owned a '98 Integra Type R, which weighed about that much and had very similar power. I think this car is going to be blast with that power-to-weight ratio. Again vs. the Type R, the interior feel of the BRZ is much more comfortable, substantial, upscale, and finished.

That's about it for now. My overall impression sitting in the car is that it feels like a shrunken, more upscale, lower 350Z.

One final note...the car is too quiet...almost silent at idle. It sounded much better as I approached redline...just kidding. I sadly didn't get to drive it! Soon.

Bolded is why I'm buying this car. From this and other reviews there is no other car, new, that has these things.
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Where can I find those other pictures? I dont see a link in the original post. I have been dying to see this thing next to an NA so thank you!

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
merlin2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'd like to see more pics. Nice post.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2111 View Post
Where can I find those other pictures? I dont see a link in the original post. I have been dying to see this thing next to an NA so thank you!
The words 'Facebook posts' is a hyperlink to his FB account.

Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
that miata isn't at OEM ride height though.. is it?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
that miata isn't at OEM ride height though.. is it?
You are correct. It is lowered. By the looks of it, at least an inch and a half.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
JRitt

Sorry guys. I was trying not to be overly 'commercial' on this post. I didn't mean to send anyone on a wild goose chase. All pics and info are here:
http://www.essexparts.com/about/news
Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
You are correct. It is lowered. By the looks of it, at least an inch and a half.
Not enough low.

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
merlin2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
JRitt

For reference, the Miata is a 1992, lowered about 3/4" vs. stock on a Fat Cat Motorsports non-adjustable coilover setup. The wheels are 14" Volk Racing CE28N's, and the hard top is an OEM unit.

Tags
big, essex, miata, size, weight