follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Basti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another Perspective on Tuning BRZ/GT86/FR-S - Latest issue: Shift knob comparison

Greetings!
Most of you might not know me yet, contrary to some ofthe users from Germany.

I'm that weird guy living in Germany who actually spends his free time organizing group buys from Japan or the USA about whatever parts the domestic enthusiast likes. So far, I've done 6 of those over the last three years and there will be more coming.

During this time, hundreds of parts have wandered through my hands.
So I thought: That's all nice and well, I'm helping people to the parts they want and in return, I get the occasional free beer(s).

But once the group buy is over, I'm left with a truckload of unique impressions: I get the chance to hold in my hands so many different parts, something that the average enthusiast doesn't get any chance for until after the purchase which he may regret. I write regret not in the sense that the bought item might be bad at all, it might just not be "it" for the buyer.
The result might be that individuals' trip to the Selling section.
But why? Because they don't have the luxury, like me, to see the part, just hold it in their hands, without buying it. The aftermarket part market is set up in a way that in most cases, purchases will be made based on a few ad pictures, member reports and, if luck will so have it, a run-in with someone running said part during a meeting.
Not the kind of research I'd find sufficient personally for a buying decision. I'm very perfectionist when it comes to that. Others might think the same and would like some of that insight.

Here's where I come in: I don't want to tell you what to buy. Each part has its target consumer. What I want to do is just give you my personal opinion on what I get my hands on and hope it'll make your personal buying decision a little easier.
Since I'm not installing most of these items myself I won't bother with performance talk in the widest sense. There are other threads for it and besides, it depends on what other parts you've got in your setup anyway.
My engineering background helps in the analysis, I'm an enthusiast without being a fanboy for anything in particular and my opinion is not supported by financial interest.
And, most importantly, I'm ONE person who's seeing all these parts. That makes a difference when comparing lots of items.

This is just the start. Goal is to build up a sort of database which Toyobaru (and, to a certain extent, other) enthusiasts may use to help their decisions.
Plus, who knows; maybe some aftermarket manufacturer might find his way to the blog and get inspired as to how to deliver to the community parts even better fitted to their needs?

But for now, without any further ado, enjoy:

http://secondlookatparts.blogspot.de/