follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2015, 01:13 AM   #15
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreteAuto View Post
So today I put my best foot forward, but they denied warranty. I was mentally prepared to hear it, so I'll just deal with it and move on. Now I suppose the best I can do is research preventative measures so the car will hold up. Probably diff risers, and eventually a Tomei 1.5 way LSD. Then whatever else I can find to reduce axle movement. Now that warranty is gone, I'm all in.
You can always upgrade the axles as well.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #16
AreteAuto
Racing Enthusiast

Drives: Bone stock 2019 BRZ manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You can always upgrade the axles as well.
I did think about that. I saw that someone broke the DSS axles too in the same way as the factory ones. I figured they must be stronger, but still not built for that extreme angle. If my axles break again, I'll be upgrading.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #17
BlueSky

Drives: 2015 Aozora BRZ
Garage
So is it for sure the CV snapped and messed up the diff?
anybody know what a oem diff and axles would cost?
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So today I put my best foot forward, but they denied warranty. I was mentally prepared to hear it, so I'll just deal with it and move on. Now I suppose the best I can do is research preventative measures so the car will hold up. Probably diff risers, and eventually a Tomei 1.5 way LSD. Then whatever else I can find to reduce axle movement. Now that warranty is gone, I'm all in.
Well......pooooo.......no warranty coverage .....

Here is a good primer on CV joints.

One can see the potential "weakness" of this "link" in the drivetrain; however, I would think any type of CV joint should be able to hold together under a 1-2" drop (lowered & loaded car) from the differential to the wheel .....

(after all, that's their job ...... )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #19
AreteAuto
Racing Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well......pooooo.......no warranty coverage .....

Here is a good primer on CV joints.

One can see the potential "weakness" of this "link" in the drivetrain; however, I would think any type of CV joint should be able to hold together under a 1-2" drop (lowered & loaded car) from the differential to the wheel .....

(after all, that's their job ...... )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint

humfrz
Weakness... link... The weak link

It's weird because speed academy hasn't had any CV issues on their Targa car, and they're on coilovers. My only guess is that the coilovers allow the axles to travel less and prevent it... Lowering springs, of course, will not do near as much.
humfrz (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #20
AreteAuto
Racing Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
humfrz
Here's a good look at the axle during an autoX on someone's car. You can see the axle is already not level from the get-go. I can only imagine what Road Atlanta has been doing to those poor axles!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PToOkNim7I"]KoniYellow RceSprings - YouTube[/ame]
humfrz (06-04-2015), Hyper4mance2k (06-04-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #21
sqd

Drives: '13 SWP GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Well, today marks my first week with the car, and now I have this ticking/clicking from the rear left as well. 12.4k miles. It's a '13 so still under warranty, gonna have to see what Toyota says on Monday..

Car hasn't seen a track or anything like it. Yes, spirited driving on the street has of course taken place, but not anything near what it shouldn't be able to handle.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #22
AreteAuto
Racing Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
Well, today marks my first week with the car, and now I have this ticking/clicking from the rear left as well. 12.4k miles. It's a '13 so still under warranty, gonna have to see what Toyota says on Monday..

Car hasn't seen a track or anything like it. Yes, spirited driving on the street has of course taken place, but not anything near what it shouldn't be able to handle.
As long as your tires look nice, there should be no issues for warranty. Many times they just call it a day after torquing the axle-nut though. For some, this helped. For others, the clicking returned and joints broke. Just be prepared for either situation, good luck!
sqd (06-11-2015), strat61caster (06-10-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #23
sqd

Quote:
As long as your tires look nice, there should be no issues for warranty. Many times they just call it a day after torquing the axle-nut though. For some, this helped. For others, the clicking returned and joints broke. Just be prepared for either situation, good luck!
First off, thanks for the info! Secondly, my axles are fine, it seems. I was convinced the sound was mechanical, or atleast coming from the axle, but I only heard to very shortly, because I was close to home when it happened, and when I heard it, I drove home and parked. Then two days later I decided to check how bad the noise was and when it happened (only turning left, only acceleration etc) - but when I then drove it, it sounded more like something was stuck in the tire, and indeed I had a rock lodged between the tire thread.

Now, it sounds silly, but it hasn't made a click since. But I can't shake the feeling how it did sound like a CV joint at first! I even had a full-time mechanic with in the car when the sound first occurred, and he agreed!

I had the TC and VSC off when I heard the noise though, and had them on again on the next drive, but that shouldn't matter right? All those do is act when the car is actually slipping/losing grip?
Old 06-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #24
AreteAuto
Racing Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqd View Post
First off, thanks for the info! Secondly, my axles are fine, it seems. I was convinced the sound was mechanical, or atleast coming from the axle, but I only heard to very shortly, because I was close to home when it happened, and when I heard it, I drove home and parked. Then two days later I decided to check how bad the noise was and when it happened (only turning left, only acceleration etc) - but when I then drove it, it sounded more like something was stuck in the tire, and indeed I had a rock lodged between the tire thread.

Now, it sounds silly, but it hasn't made a click since. But I can't shake the feeling how it did sound like a CV joint at first! I even had a full-time mechanic with in the car when the sound first occurred, and he agreed!

I had the TC and VSC off when I heard the noise though, and had them on again on the next drive, but that shouldn't matter right? All those do is act when the car is actually slipping/losing grip?
I do hope that it was indeed a rock! As long as it isn't doing anything anymore, I'd say don't worry about it unless any future noises come up. The electronic aids shouldn't make a difference, because I believe they are only wired to the brakes rather than the diff. If you had them off, then that's discards any thought that they had something to do with it. Yes, correct, they are reactive to slipping sensed by wheelspin. TC is made to prevent slippage in a straight line, VSC is made to keep the car from losing control in corners.
sqd (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 02:24 AM   #25
sqd

Quote:
I do hope that it was indeed a rock! As long as it isn't doing anything anymore, I'd say don't worry about it unless any future noises come up. The electronic aids shouldn't make a difference, because I believe they are only wired to the brakes rather than the diff. If you had them off, then that's discards any thought that they had something to do with it. Yes, correct, they are reactive to slipping sensed by wheelspin. TC is made to prevent slippage in a straight line, VSC is made to keep the car from losing control in corners.
Oh yeah, I'm well aware of when they activate/what they prevent, what I meant was that they are purely electronical until they act, so to speak. It's not like it's mechanical and should make any difference if it's on and off, until they are supposed to kick in All they do is cut power and apply brakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to sqd For This Useful Post:
AreteAuto (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #26
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Hey thats my video ha.

Also I had my axle replaced last year or the year before. Drivers rear was clicking. Was done under warranty.

Quote:
Here's a good look at the axle during an autoX on someone's car. You can see the axle is already not level from the get-go. I can only imagine what Road Atlanta has been doing to those poor axles!
AreteAuto (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #27
AreteAuto
Racing Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
Hey thats my video ha.

Also I had my axle replaced last year or the year before. Drivers rear was clicking. Was done under warranty.
Haha it's an enlightening video! Very good view of what's going on down there.

Daggum, I should have had it replaced when the clicking started before it broke. Oh well, I'm just glad it works properly for now!