follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #71
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
No troll is ambitious enough or able to keep their facts straight to come close to the OP's responses.
Talk to Ultramaroon he was having trolldar calibration issues the other day as well.
Got some good results bench testing. Just have to watch for false positives until my maps repopulate.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #72
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saif View Post
SCION HERE I COME...in like a week...but I'm coming.
You had better leave that wad of cash at home.

Take a real test drive or we'll all kick your pre-med ass.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
saif (11-17-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #73
saif

Drives: Limited Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ITS DONE!

So after some searching around, I found that I was getting a better deal from Subaru on the BRZ than I was with Scion. They were the same out the door price in the end because scion was charging 800 for destination charges and subaru wasnt. That being said I checked out with several subaru dealers, the first one was terrible. Went to go test drive it, it was extremely fun! The salesman knew NOTHING! I asked him basic things and made conversations about the car:

me "Yeah im deciding between this and the FRS, They are giving me a good deal"(pulling his strings)

Him-"FRS? Isnt that by scion? That car looks alot like the BRZ, they are copying us"

:mad0 260:

I was furious at his lack of knowledge on the car. later:

HIM-"I cant seem to find the steering wheel controls, how do you answer the calls?"

ME-"You have to use the navigation "

He is asking me questions about everything, and didnt know crap. Plus after the test drive the BRZ wouldnt start up again. He said it was the battery, but for those of you that know cars know that this isnt how it would happen. Then I took a look at the manufacturing date: august of 2013 (its a 2014 model) and was turned off by that since it was an early 2014 model. Not wanting to negotiate after these several problems, I left and went to another subaru.

This Subaru was quick and to the point, and by this time it was night and snowing outside. They brought out the car and showed me it and seemed. Seemed perfect! and gave me an awesome deal. Got a spoiler to go along with it, and hopefully will get that installed next week sometime. Now heres the things. I was at the dealership around 8 (they close at 9) and was ready to buy and done negotiating at 8:30. The saleswomen went to get it "ready" while we did the financial stuff. We were out by 10 and back on the road down to Virginia. Side Note: went to Maryland to buy car and was a 3 hour drive. Everything seemed perfect and was a wonderful experience. I didnt get home till 3 in the morning. After I got home I passed out. Next morning im going over paperwork with family and I realized they did a terrible job last night. They definitly DIDNT wash or clean the car at all. There was dirt all inside the car with some marks around the interior. Though nothing I could do myself and get rid of. The cars paint has some weird swirl marks on them, very light. And she didnt include my window sticker with my paper work. Then to finish it off NO INSPECTION sticker done! Then when I opened up the hood to check everything (Even though I checked it up in maryland also) there was a spare screw sitting on the side of the engine!!!!! just sitting there! I mean its one screw, but what does that mean for the rest of the car! So I call them up and they basically say theres nothing that they can do unless I bring the car up to them 3 hours away. I definitely cant do that because I have school stuff to do and work on the weekends. Im guessing I have to find time to go up and get all this done by them again! I dont understand why they cant just shell out the money and let me get it done by my local toyota or subaru dealership. Though I thought I would go ahead and shell out the money and go to Toyota to get it inspected. They were nice enough to actually give it to me for free(I didnt even ask for a free one nor tell them about what happen)! Kind makes me think I should have gone with the FRS just because I feel like I might have gotten better service through them. Im thinking about complaining heavily to their GM because of this. When someone buys a car, especially a rarer car like the BRZ, I deserve better service. Though apart from the bureaucratic problems and the detail job of that subaru, im really happy with my purchase. Wonderful car and is too powerful IMO. I think thats because im jumping from my solara, which by the way sold in 1 day after putting the add up for it! Thank you guys for your help and Im loving the car. Also, Im suprised how many people look at the car. Kids look at it like its a supercar or something!

Ill create another post about my problems and see how I should approach them and see how I can get them fixed by the dealer, has anyone else experienced these buying problem? The worst is the paint on it even though its minor.
Attached Images

saif is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saif For This Useful Post:
AZOOZ_95 (11-17-2014), Fly Guy (11-18-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #74
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Never, ever let the dealer wash it! Take it in dirty (if you let it get dirty) and take it home that way as they will mess up the paint.
I had zero issues getting mine and my dealer has been great with the minor things I have been back in for since.
Do hope you are going to ditch those dealer plate frames quick though!
Old 11-16-2014, 12:08 AM   #75
saif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Never, ever let the dealer wash it! Take it in dirty (if you let it get dirty) and take it home that way as they will mess up the paint.
I had zero issues getting mine and my dealer has been great with the minor things I have been back in for since.
Do hope you are going to ditch those dealer plate frames quick though!
I've heard that so many times, I was so stuck up in the paperwork that I forgot to tell them not to did anything. Now telling my parents about it, they think I'm crazy. But Im waiting on the plates to come in from the DMV and get my previous plates transferred over. I'm going to ditch the dealer stuff and leave it without a border, I like that look the best. I'll probably get the local subaru to detail it for me when I get the spoiler done. But I'm afraid the same mistakes will be made. I remember once I got my solara washed by a BMW dealership in richmond when I had to get the alternator replaced, and they did an absolute amazing job. I might just ask them where they take it or if they do it themselves. If not then I was looking for local detailers. General prices ranged from 75-150$ for outside detailing. So I'll see what the subaru I bought it from offers for these stupid problems. If nothing, I'll take it up the chain of command. I don't want to be 'that guy' but I care way too much of the cars perfect condition than anything else.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #76
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Just remember it won't stay perfect no matter what you try (short of never driving it that is).
Don't know if they are legal there but you can get grey smoked covers for the plates here. They rock on the Lava and bet would look great on the red as well. Was never a fan of the whole bare edged plate look especial the front one just hanging down like they do.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #77
D.Scrye

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'd recommend SeCar Auto Wash in Annandale (you said you're in the DMV, yes?). I didn't get the interior done, I like to do that on my own, but they have their act together and charge a pretty reasonable price. My 2¢, if it helps.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #78
D.Scrye

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Garage
One other thing: if you have the time and space, it's better to do your own washing (I don't). Trying to not set a bad example...
Old 11-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #79
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
deleted - didn't realize OP bought a car...
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #80
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Saif, congrats on the purchase! Sorry again for calling you a troll.

Toyota or Subaru doesn't matter for most things. Subaru of America (SOA) is going to give you a harder run-around for warranty work than Toyota's American division (my best friend is the Service dept manager for Roy Robinson Subaru and I bought an FRS in Kirkland down the street.. what does that say)

But it comes down to the relationship you can create with the dealership. They are the ones on the ground helping you diagnose, detail, and repair and will be the ones who go up to bat for you in the event that you need warranty work done. Hope this helps. Welcome to the 86 fam
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
saif (11-17-2014), Tcoat (11-16-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #81
AZOOZ_95
Middle Eastern 86

Drives: RED GT86
I think it's functional enough if you don't have kids!
Old 11-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #82
AZOOZ_95
Middle Eastern 86

Drives: RED GT86
Congrats!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #83
InspGadgt

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Asphalt)
For me it was because I wanted a sporty rear wheel drive car and didn't want to pay a lot. I owned a Scion tC previously and really like the quality and reliability I had with that car. Of the cars you mention...Golf was not an option because it is front wheel drive, Hyundai...I'm not really sold on that brand yet. Not sure I would trust them. And the Mustang...first off if I were to get a Mustang I'd want the V8 and secondly it is pretty much impossible to get a Mustang in Hawaii for under $30K and would be more likely to be near $40k.

So the FRS was the first car in my price range that fit the profile. And I wanted to get one before I got too old to enjoy it
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #84
saif

A little review and 4 day experience.

For me it was a decent difference. I had the luxury of space in the solara but the power was terrible, even with a bigger engine: 2.4L 2az-fe 4 cylinder @ 3,300-3,500 pounds with 157 hp. The car was kind of ugly from the rear but beautiful in the front. The inside was pretty comfortable and gave a real smooth ride. But after driving a BRZ/FRS manual made it impossible to enjoy anything else. Plus the looks were amazing, and is a car that will definitely resell in no time if needed. Just like my Solara, I posted on craigslist Monday night, got 5-8 inquiries about the car the next morning, first person to see it bought it and the car was gone Wednesday afternoon and had the BRZ Thursday night. But after the fun I have with the car makes me love it. I dont mind the lack of backroom seat, enough for me and my favorite people one at a time. Enough storage space for my backpack and gives me just enough power. I love the nav/headunit that came with the car and absolutely love the lights around the car! I always wanted HID/LED's in the car. I just have to get the spoiler installed as soon as I get it in from the dealer. The one I had bought it from quoted me at 130 for 1 hour of labor to install but everyone down in williamsburg is charging me 2+ hours of labor at $160/hr. I might just have to go back up to Maryland . Oh well, in the end it'll be worth it. Just that I live in Richmond for school at my dorm, and dont want to park the brand new car on the side of the street. The other day I saw a beautiful WRX smashed onto a sidewalk on morning after someone hit and ran the night before, it hurt to see that. I see people hit other cars parked on the side all the time and dont want to risk that right now with my car, especially in richmond.

HUGE PLUS! the small tank! sure I might fill up more often but $35-$40 dollars for a tank of gas is not bad at all, especially premium. I used to pay about $50-$60 a tank for the Solara with the same premium gas.

One thing I notice alot more other than people staring at the car wherever I go, people want to race me everywhere! I was driving had a acura legend do a fly by, then soon after that a rsx, then mustangs and camaros cant resist trying to one up me. I dont respond because I know either they would beat me or I'd crash the car. It's annoying yet satisfying to know this is going to happen. Cant wait for a cherry bombed '95 civic to pull up and try something on me. Someone came up to me and asked "What car is that ? is that a aston martin?" Obviously not a car guy but made me tingle inside that people like the car. I absolutely love it and bought it for myself, but knowing I get a bit of respect from others is nice also. Forget about the other cars I mentioned. This car has the personality, the uniqueness and power that I need and want. Biggest downside is how low it is. I can sometimes hear the dirt and the pebbles coming off the car and hitting it .

Gen coupe= for those who just want power. (I think its an okay personality and uniqueness, it seems as if everyone has one)
Mustang= Every kid and middleaged guy has one and no respect unless its a 5.0.

I havent taken the car to its limits yet but as soon as I hit the 1000 mark I might take it for a little spin . I think Its really dirver oriented and I enjoy it, in the auto solara I would just press the pedal and go. I feel like the manual engages me more to what I am doing and I understand what I need to do to get what I need out of it. The steering is heavier, but I LOVE that. I feel in control. Pedals are cool, and the seats were biting at first since I was all bundled up but after taking off jackets I feel hugged and in place with the car. The seats keep my temperature PERFECT! I know I driven leather seated cars and I get too hot.

I can have just enough power to have fun and seem fast inside the car. My dads told me to slow down so many times even though im going exactly the speed limit. One thing That can get me into trouble is the car just wants to keep going. It never seems to be out of breath. I want to keep it going! Plus the audible sound in the car is perfect, like music to my ears . It doesn't sound rice but more muscle. Its been raining everywhere since I got the car so hopefully it dries up this weekend and I can take it for a ride in on some scenic drives. But as far as sleet (in maryland) and in rain (in virginia) it seems to handle really well, I feel a little scared because of the RWD but it doesnt feel like its not in control, it stays planted.

As of right now im stuck driving the mom mobile till Im back home for the weekend but I cant wait to get home and take it for a spin

you guys are awesome, thanks for your support and not one person complaining about how I went with subaru. Thank you for that! I have people telling me I should have gone scion, but those guys dont know about cars and especially the twins. I just liked the amenities the limited Subaru came with and I got it cheaper that most FRS's. So this fit my needs of needing a bit of luxury along with the sporty feel. Both are wonderful cars, heres to many fun years to come with this car I hope to see you guys around the forum!

P.S. its fine that you guys thought I was a troll, it was a special case and a weird one at it haha

Tags
solara, subaru brz, toyota 86 review