follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Site Announcements / Questions / Issues

View Poll Results: What do you the best solution would be?
Make a new sub-forum for controls 1 14.29%
Split the existing cosmetic modification forum. 1 14.29%
No change is warranted/ it wouldn't improve the situation 4 57.14%
Other: (Please comment!) 1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
A Suggestion: Controls Forum

This is just a suggestion for a possible sub-forum.

There is currently not a good central location for controls. IE, A steering wheel may be a costmetic mod and go in that department. However, many of us might swap our steering wheel for a wheel better suiting for a particular type of driving, which is not exactly a cosmetic mod.

Short shifters and shift knobs also fall into this category, with short shifters also possibly falling in the trans department. Pedals, dash lights/ gauges are other examples.

I think it would be helpful to have a section dedicated to controls modifications, seeing as the sub-forum for cosmetic modification contains a WORLD of other stuff that really isn't the info some might be looking for.

I know that these items already have a place in the forum, but it feels so spaced out and decentralized. I think we might benefit from this new sub-forum.

I know the traffic/ thread count would have to warrant this, and I am not sure whether or not this is something others would like to see as well.

just my $0.02.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't think it has to be that specialized; splitting it up into exterior and interior cosmetic modifications would be sufficient.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I vote its fine. Everyone just uses Google to pull up the 600 threads we have on everything anyways
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
This is just a suggestion for a possible sub-forum.

There is currently not a good central location for controls. IE, A steering wheel may be a costmetic mod and go in that department. However, many of us might swap our steering wheel for a wheel better suiting for a particular type of driving, which is not exactly a cosmetic mod.

Short shifters and shift knobs also fall into this category, with short shifters also possibly falling in the trans department. Pedals, dash lights/ gauges are other examples.

I think it would be helpful to have a section dedicated to controls modifications, seeing as the sub-forum for cosmetic modification contains a WORLD of other stuff that really isn't the info some might be looking for.

I know that these items already have a place in the forum, but it feels so spaced out and decentralized. I think we might benefit from this new sub-forum.

I know the traffic/ thread count would have to warrant this, and I am not sure whether or not this is something others would like to see as well.

just my $0.02.
Interesting idea... but here's an issue with Control Modification section. What counts as "Control" mods and what doesn't? Isn't tires/wheels count as control mods? How bout suspension stuff? aeros/spoilers &/or splitters? How bout seats? Everything to anything can be "control" mods imo. One person might not think certain parts are control mods, but just a cosmetic mods. How to differentiate that?

Just my 2 yen
Old 10-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Interesting idea... but here's an issue with Control Modification section. What counts as "Control" mods and what doesn't? Isn't tires/wheels count as control mods? How bout suspension stuff? aeros/spoilers &/or splitters? How bout seats? Everything to anything can be "control" mods imo. One person might not think certain parts are control mods, but just a cosmetic mods. How to differentiate that?

Just my 2 yen
On the first half of what you've said, you're talking about things that increase control of the car. What is meant by controls is driver controls- the things the driver immediately touches and sometimes the things they immediately see from the vehicle. So, pedals, steering wheel, seat gets counted here as it positions you, e brake, gauges, shift knob/shifter, start/stop, shift light, etc.

As for the differentiation between cosmetic and control- this is where I see a problem for separating it. I have trouble thinking about it as well. Really, even if a mod is done for cosmetics, if it is a controls mod, it's a controls mod, no matter the purpose. The problem items would be things like seats- folks wouldn't know where to put the thread for that. Interior or controls?

To @go_a_way1 's point, I know we can search- but I don't always know exactly what I'm looking for. To me, it would be cool to have a place where I could just freely search controls threads.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Controls without context are meaningless.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
^ that
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote