follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ebola Virus...

I don't watch the news much, but my wife is panicking and it's making me nervous.

I don't mean to spread incorrect information so please feel free to correct me or add to me, but I heard a guy from Africa flew down to the Dallas area and died very soon afterwards. The nurse(s) that were taking care of him have it now?

Another family about 70 miles south of Dallas has it and they blocked off the city...

I read that Ebola has caused about 4,000 deaths in Africa.

Anyone know how bad this could get here? I hear it's spreading, just don't know how quick...

Pardon me if this has been posted somewhere here already.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So far there has been 3 cases of this Ebola strain outside of the effected area. One nurse in Spain, and the 2 nurses now in Texas that treated (name here). And yes he did did shortly after. Over 4,000 people according to WHO have died, over 8,000 have contracted it in total. The newest development is that the nurse just diagnosed was on a plane the day before she was admitted to hospital. Experts say that you can't pass it on without showing symptoms, but they're still going to monitor those people on the plane.

Theoretically it shouldn't get far in devoleped countries, theoretically you can only catch it through bodily fluids. But then again the first nurse said she followed protocol "to the letter" and she still got it. After the second nurse got it people have been saying they weren't trained, or given proper gear.

Scary shit, but unless the virus evolves it's not the biggest risk right now for people In developed countries.

I also just read that if more effort isn't put into the effected zone in Africa that new cases could reach 5,000 new cases every month. I got this from the bbc.

Edit: WHO actually said it could be 5,000 new cases a WEEK, instead of a month. It quilt mentions the other cases but that's another strain supposedly? Haven't seen anything else mentioned.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29632433

Last edited by Muskokan; 10-15-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muskokan For This Useful Post:
Choco (10-20-2014), Texas BRZ (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Here's everything that needs to be done to control the spread of Ebola.

http://xkcd.com/734/
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We're all gunna die.

/thread

Or....

\thread
destiny becomes a reality and we all move to the moon
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
In my opinion, what Duncan did was not only selfish but extremely stupid. This whole clusterf**k is his fault. What amazes me even more is how so many are attempting to turn this case into a race related issue.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Did the OP just crawl out from under a rock or something? Seriously.

The virus basically disappears from the human population once all affected patients are isolated. That is what has happened several times in past outbreaks. The difference is that the virus reached urban areas. So, transmission is difficult to prevent as it is difficult to isolate all those affected before they are fully symptomatic.

The only reason Ebola still exists in humans is that it stays in the system of wildlife who are immune and is then reintroduced to humans when they consume affected "bush meat".

It is difficult to imagine how they will stop this outbreak. It seems inhumane to seal borders, but once medical triage, isolation wards, and mass facilities to treat symptoms are in place on a sufficient scale (if it is possible) isolation is probably the only solution. Then hopefully the healthy population can be inoculated with the vaccine.

The scary part is despite extreme precautions health care workers are being affected. A lot of health care workers are needed in Africa, but at the risk of their lives??
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Oh yeah? Try being a "second generation Liberian immigrant" whose last name is Duncan(no relation...I hope).

I kinda wanna deactivate my facebook right now because of that...

Honestly unless some major steps are taken to stop the disease where it is spreading, we're going to have a bunch more people like this guy in Texas. Anyone with the means to get out of the area if they think they might have been exposed is going to do so. Human survival instincts will ensure that.

The lucky thing for us over here is that the vast majority of the people over there will never have the means to leave.

I definitely don't like hearing all these jokes/comments about how we should just kill all of the infected, as if that wouldn't be as ineffective as it is inhumane.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to murdoc For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Time for us to go. Humanity's time has long past due...

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
In my opinion, what Duncan did was not only selfish but extremely stupid. This whole clusterf**k is his fault. What amazes me even more is how so many are attempting to turn this case into a race related issue.
Seriously. "Let me help a sick woman to a taxi in Liberia and then get on a plane to the US. Nothing could be wrong with that idea!"

And people are trying to lay blame on the hospital. "They should have known/reacted faster/magic wand!" Really? No ebola cases diagnosed in the US in... EVER, and they're just supposed to know? How about dumbshit tells more people than just the secretary that he had recently traveled from Liberia. Knowing there was an ebola epidemic in Liberia, I'd have been telling the triage nurse, the doctor, the student nurse taking my temp, everyone. Not just the secretary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-15-2014), whataboutbob (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Seriously. "Let me help a sick woman to a taxi in Liberia and then get on a plane to the US. Nothing could be wrong with that idea!"

And people are trying to lay blame on the hospital. "They should have known/reacted faster/magic wand!" Really? No ebola cases diagnosed in the US in... EVER, and they're just supposed to know? How about dumbshit tells more people than just the secretary that he had recently traveled from Liberia. Knowing there was an ebola epidemic in Liberia, I'd have been telling the triage nurse, the doctor, the student nurse taking my temp, everyone. Not just the secretary.
And sadly, Mr. Duncan's failure to disclose his recent travels might just be the reason for what might have been a preventable demise.

They currently take the temperature of travelers leaving West Africa before flying. Soon many countries will probably highly restrict the entry of any passenger aircraft from those areas.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
And sadly, Mr. Duncan's failure to disclose his recent travels might just be the reason for what might have been a preventable demise.

They currently take the temperature of travelers leaving West Africa before flying. Soon many countries will probably highly restrict the entry of any passenger aircraft from those areas.
I think we should restrict flights out of those areas. And maybe set up a 10 day quarantine at that end before they can even get on the plane.

I'm just waiting on this to get into the homeless population in a major city. What happens if someone flies into JFK and then pukes in an alley?
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
pche (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atticus808 For This Useful Post:
M-17 (10-17-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
His travel disclosure is still up for debate. The above is not widely accepted as fact. IMO there's a lot of CYA going on amongst the airlines, TSA, and hospitals here.

Read here please
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/la...ephew-says.ece

Last edited by DAEMANO; 10-15-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added hyperlink
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
His travel disclosure is still up for debate. The above is not widely accepted as fact. IMO there's a lot of CYA going on amongst the airlines, TSA, and hospitals here.
What can be up for debate is whether or not the second nurse should have even been cleared to travel after such extended exposure to Duncan?
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MokSpeed For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-15-2014)

Tags
maplesyrupyum, my other ride is motaba