follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #43
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIG1992 View Post
which Toyota sports car would you like to be revived?
I would love to see a new celica, i loved each and every generation

I came to tears when I sold my 00' celica GTS, i put a lot of hard work into that car, but she was getting tired and old, especially because of how hard i was on that car and how many crazy memories. I shared the first kiss with my one true love in that car.

The cool thing about celicas it they were FWD, AWD, RWD, and turbo at one point or another, it was the car that wasnt afraid to change, but you still knew you were in a celica when you drove it.

If it were up to me i would want a FOUR-trac to come back and be sold in a america because the last one was over season only

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #44
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Im wondering what kind of drvetrain the lower more mass-market and cheaper sports car might have.

1. It is not very likely to be sporty, AWD, cheaper than 86 and appeal to the mass market. I find it hard to fit all those things in one car.
Typically AWD + sportscar= More expensive than GT86.

2. FWD is cheaper to produce. A little more room in the back seat should fit the "mass market". Sporty handling and coupe lines. That would fit pretty good!
But I personally would not call a FWD a sports-car. Its more like a sporty car if made right..
And there is a big BUT. Do we need another FWD car like that?
Look at this thread for a list of cars we have.
EU is filled with FWD hot hatches in all price ranges! Why make another one?
EU does not have many coupe like cheap FF cars. But if they would be popular im guessing cars like Nissan Altima, Honda Civic Si or Scion Tc would sell well. As far as I know, they don't. All of those are in the US + several hot hatches.. Does the US really need another car in that class??

3. So, a MR2 type of car would be great! Compared to 86 it could have 2 seats, small and light, smaller engine, smaller and cheaper drivetrain, smaller brakes.. Less airbags, less speakers.. That way they could make it cheaper, and a sports car.
Would it appeal the mass market?? Not sure.. But if cheap and sporty enough, maybe..
If not MR layout, what about a modern and larger Suzuki cappuchino?

Say a 1L turbocharged engine. 125hp. Below 900kg/2000lbs.
Again.. the "mass market" is a problem if price is not very low and the car is not large enough. But a car like that would be awesome!

4. RWD "normal car" with sports-car handling. There are currently no manufactureres making something like that. ZERO real competition.
1-series is premium and not that cheap, and not a proper sports car. Most cheaper coupes/hatches like Civic SI/ Scion tc are fwd.. So of they can make it affordable and have decent space. Thereby hitting the mass market. Then bring it on Toyota!
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #45
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Well this is news to me... so I'd consider a new MR to the list of cars I'd buy in the future.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
Giccin (11-09-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #46
be6sti

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR;
If not MR layout, what about a modern and larger Suzuki cappuchino?
[IMG
http://tuningcars.us/albums/userpics/10001/suzuki-cappuccino-tuning_28529.jpg[/IMG]
Say a 1L turbocharged engine. 125hp. Below 900kg/2000lbs.
Again.. the "mass market" is a problem if price is not very low and the car is not large enough. But a car like that would be awesome!

4. RWD "normal car" with sports-car handling. There are currently no manufactureres making something like that. ZERO real competition.
1-series is premium and not that cheap, and not a proper sports car. Most cheaper coupes/hatches like Civic SI/ Scion tc are fwd.. So of they can make it affordable and have decent space. Thereby hitting the mass market. Then bring it on Toyota!
Omfg initial d ftw that car is epic XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #47
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,078 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Haha "somewhat confirms" is like an oxymoron. It's a sure thing... maybe? :p
Old 10-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #48
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Haha "somewhat confirms" is like an oxymoron. It's a sure thing... maybe? :p
Basically Tetsuya Tada/Toyta is planning to make two new sport cars.. But it can not be confirmed since they are in a every early stage of planning. Since he is saying a team is on the work with the process of conceptualizing that means that they are planning for it to happen.

It like a girl saying. If you behave nicely you might be lucky tonight.
That translates: Most likely you will get some action of nothing comes in the way...
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #49
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
When asked if the higher-end sports car is the successor to the Supra, Tada said it could possibly be but that nothing is sure yet since his team is still in the process of conceptualizing the two other Toyota sports cars. He also noted that it takes five years to develop a sports car from conceptualization to production, as compared with the three years it normally takes to develop a regular vehicle.

Supra name trademark submitted in 2010, endless rumors of the FT-HS for 2015, 5 yrs of development... I think this is sort of coming together rather nicely.

Tada, please make this Toyota quality like how you used to make cars. No more joint partnerships w/Subaru but hell yes with BMW. You're done swimming with the fishes, now it's time to swim with the sharks.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #50
vh_supra26

Drives: Supra
Thanked 1,614 Times in 727 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I think the sub 86 car could be a two seater that would directly compete with the MX-5 Miata.

2011 Tokyo Auto Salon: TES Concept T-Sports Previews Baby FT-86

Quote:
Hardly the most attractive car on display at the Tokyo Auto Salon, the TES Concept T-Sports might be one of the most exciting for regular folks in search of an affordable sports car.

Since the first introduction of Toyota‘s FT-86 Concept, rumors have surfaced that the cost of development of the car has risen and that consumers will have to carry that burden by paying more for the vehicle. With Toyota’s plans for an affordable sports car in trouble, the automaker has reportedly been planning a more entry-level version of the car.

No one at Toyota is saying as much, but the TES Concept T-Sports might just be the answer. While about as pretty as Snookie, unlike the reality star, it’s what’s underneath that counts. You see, this early prototype was built by the Toyota Engineering Society (TES) in response to a questionnaire that asked what sort of vehicles they thought Toyota needed to build. The answer: an affordable sports car. And like the FT-86 it’s front-engine, rear-wheel drive.

Powered by Toyota’s 1.3-liter 4-cylinder engine this concept makes 109-hp, but weighs under 2,000 lbs. The car is 150-inches long and 65-inches wide, making it just over a foot shorter in length than the FT-86.

Toyota isn’t commenting, but this concept certainly hints at the fact that engineers are studying plans for a baby FT-86.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...aby-ft-86.html

Blast From The Past- Toyota TES Concept T-Sports

Quote:
Back at Tokyo AutoSalon exhibition in 2011, Toyota Engineering Society (TES) revealed their new concept car called TES Concept T-Sports.

The car was built, based on Daihatsu Copen chassis, coupled with 1.3 engine and transmission from Toyota Cami (Daihatsu Terios) and rear suspension setup and differential from Toyota Altezza. The car is built on FR layout, not like FF layout which the car based from.
http://smallcarworld.wordpress.com/2...-tes-t-sports/
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (11-10-2012), einzlr (11-11-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #51
vh_supra26

Tada-san & Sasaki-san hints at new Toyota Supra and sub 86 entry-level model

Quote:
This new 86 however, is just the beginning of Toyota's sports car renaissance. Soon, there will be an entry-level sports car, and of course, a Big Dog range-topper. You know the name.

"With my next sportscar," explains Tada-san, "I want to make a big... ‘wow'." His arms gesticulate large vortex circles. "Nobody expected us to build something like the GT 86. I want to give the world a shock." Does that mean we are - whisper it - getting a new Supra?

He laughs. Quite loudly. "Of course, anything is possible." Sasaki-san also chirrups in. "With the 86, we didn't want to use driver aids - that's the thinking. But new Supra means big power, so we need something for that. It'll be a different avenue of sports car from the GT 86."

Tantalisingly, neither of them would formulate anything concrete, so it remains as thus: the GT 86 is the hot new thing on the block, and a new Supra is "just one avenue of sports car Toyota could take. There are others too." One thing is for sure however: if Tada-san has his way, the new sports car definitely won't be a hybrid.

"Our LMP1 programme gave us a good insight into hybrid performance, but for me, I think current hybrid technology is not good for road sports cars. I don't really want that." I inform him about the cosmically-quick Porsche 918 Spyder - built by a company both he and Sasaki greatly admire from an engineering perspective - and he laughs again. "That's a very good hybrid drivetrain, but it's for the man who has an unlimited amount of money. I don't like that. I want to build a car that everybody can afford, a car for the ordinary people, not something that requires too much money." A champion of the everyday petrolhead, no?

It's certainly a vibe that emanates from the pair of them - just a couple of petrolheads doing something they love. As Sasaki-san regales, he was initiated into the School of Performance at an early age - specifically with the GT 86's granddaddy. "My father was a Toyota engineer, in charge of the very first Corolla Levin. He brought it home one day and asked if I wanted to join him on a test drive. It was the first time that I've been in a car that was so fast; I was pushed back into my seat. Then I decided - I will buy this car one day."

Buy it? He's only gone and built it.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/toy...-24?imageNo=01
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
einzlr (11-11-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #52
vh_supra26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
When asked if the higher-end sports car is the successor to the Supra, Tada said it could possibly be but that nothing is sure yet since his team is still in the process of conceptualizing the two other Toyota sports cars. He also noted that it takes five years to develop a sports car from conceptualization to production, as compared with the three years it normally takes to develop a regular vehicle.

Supra name trademark submitted in 2010, endless rumors of the FT-HS for 2015, 5 yrs of development... I think this is sort of coming together rather nicely.

Tada, please make this Toyota quality like how you used to make cars. No more joint partnerships w/Subaru but hell yes with BMW. You're done swimming with the fishes, now it's time to swim with the sharks.
+1 I love the looks of the FT-HS

Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #53
vh_supra26

Larger Photos of the TES Concept T-Sports

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (11-09-2012), einzlr (11-11-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #54
vh_supra26

Larger Photos of the Toyota GRMN Sports Hybrid Concept II

The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
einzlr (11-11-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #55
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Toyota just needs to remove the Hybrid emblem in place of a... XXth Anniversary

And please bring back the RSP!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #56
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,166 Times in 2,330 Posts
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Man I hope it doesn't look like the TES or GRMN or whatever concepts. barf.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback || Oh yeah and a 2013 Scion FR-S too..

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
M-17 (11-09-2012)