follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 01:44 AM   #225
Ro_Ja

Drives: TOYOTA
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
A good example was a large bump (wasn't there before) in the middle of a corner. When the car hit it, it didn't get airborne or get upset, the weight just shifted. I was able to counter it with a slight lift of the gas and turn of the wheel and the car just stayed in the lane and kept going
Interesting. A few of the roads I drive have some nasty dips and bumps that, to me, really seem to unsettle the car (it feels like I lose traction, but I'm not entirely sure, but really makes me feel unconfident in the car) and make it feel slightly unpredictable whereas the stock suspension seemed to have no difficulty handling it. My alignment is setup to be pretty much on-par for a good street/light track setup, so I wonder if it's the bumps/dips (angle of attack, size, etc.), my tires (PSS), suspension, my inexperience with the car/RWD (I come from years of driving FWD on the same roads), or a combination of these things.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:19 AM   #226
nimble

Drives: 2013 WO FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@Kostamojen What are your wheel and tire specs?
Old 04-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #227
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
Getting popping noise when moving slowly on these. Nothing hitting, both front and rear are right in the middle of recommended range, everything else suspension wise is stock except OEM camber bolts in front. Mounting nuts are tight. Sounds like it's coming from front passenger side. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple times. What's going on?
Old 04-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #228
mpross

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
Getting popping noise when moving slowly on these. Nothing hitting, both front and rear are right in the middle of recommended range, everything else suspension wise is stock except OEM camber bolts in front. Mounting nuts are tight. Sounds like it's coming from front passenger side. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple times. What's going on?
Popping or knock/rattle? Front or rear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #229
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpross View Post
Popping or knock/rattle? Front or rear?

Definitely popping. Both front and rear. Only happens at low speeds (<10 mph) and seems to happen over small bumps, bigger bumps don't cause popping.

Have been under the car +10 times trying to fix this. Everything is torqued to spec, have tried disconnecting sway bars and doesn't go away. Sounds like popcorn being popped slowly. I tried to take a video, but didn't turn out well.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #230
mpross

Garage
Quote:
Definitely popping. Both front and rear. Only happens at low speeds (<10 mph) and seems to happen over small bumps, bigger bumps don't cause popping.

Have been under the car +10 times trying to fix this. Everything is torqued to spec, have tried disconnecting sway bars and doesn't go away. Sounds like popcorn being popped slowly. I tried to take a video, but didn't turn out well.
Well my friend it appears we're in the same boat except mine clunks instead of pops... Are yours pillow ball front and rear?

The Following User Says Thank You to mpross For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (04-16-2024)
Old 04-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #231
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
Well my friend it appears we're in the same boat except mine clunks instead of pops... Are yours pillow ball front and rear?

Stock top hats, stock end links, stock sway bars, stock everything except front camber bolts. My popping sound seems to happen on small bumps only and almost sounds like it happens on rebound rather than compression, but hard to tell. When I first got these, I set them WAY lower than Bilstein recommends (didn't realize there was a recommended range of adjustment, first coilovers, thought the whole threaded body was fair game, oops!). I drove on them for about a week before I realized they rode like shit and made the same popping noise I'm getting now. Readjusted to 120 mm front/155 mm rear and still getting the same noise :S
Old 04-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #232
mpross

Garage
So how much lower than stock are you now? I'm thinking my issue is the rear end links (mostly. I do get some pops along with clunks). The front end links can hit the control arm if you're fairly low and the rear end links get preloaded and bound up if you go too low and still use the stock ones. I've got white line end links in the mail as we speak to try and remedy the sound. That may be your issue

kevaughan (04-16-2024)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #233
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
So how much lower than stock are you now? I'm thinking my issue is the rear end links (mostly. I do get some pops along with clunks). The front end links can hit the control arm if you're fairly low and the rear end links get preloaded and bound up if you go too low and still use the stock ones. I've got white line end links in the mail as we speak to try and remedy the sound. That may be your issue

Unfortunately, I'm as high as Bilstein recommends. I've got slightly less than 2 finger wheel gap in front and slightly more than 2 in back. No idea how that compares to stock, but it's 120 mm from center of top strut bolt to collar in front, 155 mm from center of strut bolt to top collar in back. Do I need an adjustable sway bar or end links? Nothing seems to be hitting, nor does this sound like anything hitting anything else :S Think I'm going to give Bilstein a call tomorrow and see what I need to do to get them revalved.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #234
mpross

Garage
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm as high as Bilstein recommends. I've got slightly less than 2 finger wheel gap in front and slightly more than 2 in back. No idea how that compares to stock, but it's 120 mm from center of top strut bolt to collar in front, 155 mm from center of strut bolt to top collar in back. Do I need an adjustable sway bar or end links? Nothing seems to be hitting, nor does this sound like anything hitting anything else :S Think I'm going to give Bilstein a call tomorrow and see what I need to do to get them revalved.
Hmm, I wouldn't think so because that's not that low. If it's not end links, torque specs, top nuts, or incorrect preload that's pretty much every possibility I've read about on here :/ coilovers are kind of a PAI I'm realizing lol

kevaughan (04-16-2024)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #235
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I had to use adjustable front endlinks with mine to prevent the swaybar from hitting, thats my first guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (04-16-2024)
Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #236
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
I had to use adjustable front endlinks with mine to prevent the swaybar from hitting, thats my first guess.
With the front end jacked up and both wheels off, I've used a jack to fully compress each side one at a time and can't see any contact anywhere. From the reading I've done, seems like lots of people go back to OEM end links because the aftermarket ones tend to hit the front control arms (although this doesn't make much sense to me). It's definitely not clunking and ride is not bouncy at all, so guessing they aren't blown.

Not sure if this helps, but seems to happen after I make turns at low speeds, they start popping like mad and keep popping for a short time after straightening the car out. Can feel it in the steering wheel. It's not particularly loud, but you can definitely feel it.

Have tried to tighten the strut nuts, but the passenger side allen key is stripped pretty bad. Can't go in or out with it and my impact gun does nothing :S

Last edited by xxBrun0xx; 04-18-2016 at 07:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xxBrun0xx For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (04-16-2024)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #237
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Have tried to tighten the strut nuts, but the passenger side allen key is stripped pretty bad. Can't go in or out with it and my impact gun does nothing :S
That might be your issue. I've had three suspension noises: camber plate rubbing on itself, sway bar endlinks, and loose top nut on the struts.

I figured out the loose top nut by jacking the car up, taking off the wheel, grabbing the strut and lifting it up and down and boom there's the noise.

You may have screwed yourself by the allowing the damper to strip. There might be ways to fix it, sending back to Bilstein might be an option. I don't like using the impact on the struts, always used a pass through wrench and torqued by hand, with the exception of the one shop that's worked on them, I know they used an impact.

Edit the curse of posting your problem in two places, confusion.

In any case jacking the car up and shaking stuff by hand, a good hearty pull like you're trying to pull the car off the jack stands, has so far been my must effective diagnostic tool, once I get my rear sway bar end link shins for my aftermarket LCA my Bilstein setup will be quiet, and it's almost as frankensteined as Kosts.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (04-16-2024)
Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #238
SG02WRX

Drives: SWP WRX HATCHBACK
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Any one have any suggestion for front camber plates, besides Raceseng. Although the Raceseng plates are nice. They're quiet pricey.

Thanks in advance

Closed Thread