follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #1
Kristian

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cusco Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Install

Hopefully, this is helpful to others. I shared this on my blog too - http://apexrally.blogspot.com/2017/0...ing-wheel.html . Cheers.

Installing an aftermarket OEM style wheel on the FR-S / BRZ is not as difficult as you might think. The process took me about an hour.

This video below shows the overall process. Below I'll share some things about my experience also.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nxaFG4vxI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nxaFG4vxI[/ame]

Tools needed:
socket wrench
10mm socket
short socket extension
17mm socket
phillips screwdriver
flat head screwdriver
shop light (helpful but not required)

Photos from the process in the video. Be sure to disconnect the battery before you start!! Be safe too. After you're done watch out for warning lights, etc... This post is for educational use only. I assume no liability for your actions.

Notes from my install:
1) OEM steering wheel with my electric tape at the top

2) Taking the airbag out is easy just be careful with the wires. Need to have battery disconnected (use the 10mm socket). Use phillips head screwdriver on three holes by the wheel to release it. One wire should come out fairly easily. The other too just need to be released using a flat head screwdriver.

They seem to have mechanics in mind because it's quite easy to release the airbag section.

3) Now that it's out it's just a matter of using the 17mm socket on an extension to loosen the nut, pull on the wheel to break it loose, and then remove the nut.

All of the Cusco instructions were in Japanese so the video above was a great help!

4) Getting the components from the stock wheel onto the aftermarket wheel takes a little patience but it's worth it. Use the phillips here again.

5) After the components are on you can carefully thread the wires through the wheel, place it on, and snug the nut down with the 17 mm socket.

The finished product looks great. Although, I plan to have carbon fiber for the lower trim soon too.
Attached Images

Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kristian For This Useful Post:
sato (04-01-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 03:13 AM   #2
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nicely done video
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags