follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 AM   #15
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeWorker View Post

Which is reasonable but still not great. There's more I feel I can milk from this paint. Before committing to the permanence of ceramic, I want to reach that point. Perhaps a bit neurotic, but we all have our quirks
Ceramic coating isn't permanent it can be removed.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-03-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #16
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, today I tried to compound and correct after doing a wash, decon, clay, and taping the days prior.

Ultimate Compound with an orange pad further reduced but did not eliminate the swirl marks. Before wetsanding, I tried one last step, which was M105. M105 + orange pad worked well - I believe it is one of Meguiar's most aggressive compounds, and while developed for a rotary, it plays nice with a DA. On one side, I would estimate a 95% correction. On the other side, probably 85% as I got progressively more tired and intoxicated. The stupid short working times and ridiculous amount of dust were a pain to deal with. But damn it cuts.

After the M105, I decided to hit it with M205. After M205, I washed the car because there was so much dust on it. Fun fact I learned...don't do this before blowing the dust off with compressed air...the water does NOT easily remove the dust. Rather, it makes it stick to glass and paint. After getting most of the adhered dust off the now washed car, I gave it a coat of McKee's 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant. I will eventually have to claybar several areas to remove some of the dust I missed and then touchup the polymer sealant.

It's not perfect but I think it came out reasonably well for someone who is still a beginner in this game. I do think I am going to use M205 in the future in place of both UC and UP - it seems like a super versatile product!

The first picture shows the worst spot during high sun
The second picture shows the same spot after M105
The third picture shows M205
The fourth/fifth pictures show after the sealant was applied
Attached Images

OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OfficeWorker For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #17
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
nice work...now see how that sealant will hold up...beading will be awesome

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #18
OfficeWorker

Annnnnnnddddd....less than 24 hours later, someone rear-ended me. HARD. It's bad. The towtruck driver did compliment me on the paint though!

FUCK
MY
LIFE.
humfrz (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #19
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Annnnnnnddddd....less than 24 hours later, someone rear-ended me. HARD. It's bad. The towtruck driver did compliment me on the paint though!

FUCK
MY
LIFE.
That sucks man! Keep in mind, it can be fixed or replaced.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #20
OfficeWorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
That sucks man! Keep in mind, it can be fixed or replaced.
With how much damage it sustained, I'm honestly hoping it gets totaled. Having had it for only two months, I know I am going to lose a fortune whether they repair or replace...but with the amount of damage it sustained, I don't see it ever being exactly how it was.

On a positive note, the car did a splendid job at absorbing a tremendous amount of energy and distributing it throughout the entire frame. If this was a car from say 10-15+ years ago, instead of taking an Uber home it seems very possible I could have been taking a helicopter to Shock Trauma...
humfrz (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #21
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
With how much damage it sustained, I'm honestly hoping it gets totaled. Having had it for only two months, I know I am going to lose a fortune whether they repair or replace...but with the amount of damage it sustained, I don't see it ever being exactly how it was.

On a positive note, the car did a splendid job at absorbing a tremendous amount of energy and distributing it throughout the entire frame. If this was a car from say 10-15+ years ago, instead of taking an Uber home it seems very possible I could have been taking a helicopter to Shock Trauma...
You're right about that! These cars are amazing at taking a hit. You put a ton of work into it. Best of luck with everything!
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
OfficeWorker (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #22
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

FUCK
MY
LIFE.
Ooooooo...........damn ..........

Sorry to read that.

Are you OK ....??

Do you feel like posting a picture of the damage ..... ??

Are you sure it won't "rub out" ...?? Sorry, maybe too soon for that bad joke .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
OfficeWorker (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #23
OfficeWorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Ooooooo...........damn ..........

Sorry to read that.

Are you OK ....??

Do you feel like posting a picture of the damage ..... ??

Are you sure it won't "rub out" ...?? Sorry, maybe too soon for that bad joke .....

humfrz
Luckily just my feet are bruised up...I've been in cars during fender benders and loss of control/wipeouts but never like this before. It was a pretty substantial amount of force. I assume it was the car that absorbed this amount of force since I walked away from this without back or neck injuries. And in the at sense, while I am really, really, really sad - all I do these days is work and the car has been my way of enjoying that small amount of free time I have when not working - I should also be thankful to be in one piece.

While it can definitely do some amazing things with corrections, I don't think M105 is going to correct this one http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126920
humfrz (04-15-2018)

Tags
7424xp, correction, da polisher, meguiar's, porter cable