follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #85
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
You know this is what started this thread right?

Not necessarily. Might even end up seeing all specs with two engine options.

And Yes, 210 NA is fine, but I think it ought to have a turbo compliment. Even if it's form the 2nd production year or whatever.

You are preaching to the choir man, that is the exact same point I was trying to put across.

And no, A mid level FT-86 is not going to cost $22k, not a chance in hell, though we could all hope and pray that it did.
I don't really want it to be 22k either. If the mid level is 22K, expect to see high schoolers drive this car around and make it ricer. One more thing, what a point of buying a tC, again?
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #86
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I don't really want it to be 22k either. If the mid level is 22K, expect to see high schoolers drive this car around and make it ricer. One more thing, what a point of buying a tC, again?
Is that a bad thing? More sale of FT86 means more parts are available for cheap (which is hightly doubt it. Toyota always been expensive lol) and more after market company will involve in this car. Look at GC chassis Impreza. Yes, there maybe tons of parts to get in Euro or Japan for fairly cheap, but in US it'll cost you arm & leg for it and most of the time there's nothing, NOTHING NEAR BY SHOP THAT HAS IT!!! It's almost impossible to get parts for that car.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 AM   #87
Dark
Elite Padawan

I know what you're saying, but like I stated, tC base price is near 20K. If FT-86's mid level is 22K, base level will probably be 20-21K. Why would one buy a sporty tC for almost 20K over 21K boxer powered FT-86?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 AM   #88
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
20k for a TC?

I paid 23k for my GTI brand new
Also paid similar price for the Integra Type R brand new.

Yet, I see few GTI's on the street, but a buttload of TCs everywhere.

So I don't think there would be a bunch of kids driving the FT.....

funny ...i see alot of people drive the 350z though...from Grandmas to teenagers.
CyberFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #89
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFormula View Post
20k for a TC?

I paid 23k for my GTI brand new
Also paid similar price for the Integra Type R brand new.

Yet, I see few GTI's on the street, but a buttload of TCs everywhere.

So I don't think there would be a bunch of kids driving the FT.....

funny ...i see alot of people drive the 350z though...from Grandmas to teenagers.
I'm talking about the all new 2011 tC. It costs a bit less than 20K, but with all goodies, it's 20K or more.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #90
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
The FT-86 and tC will only compete on a "chick car" level really. The tC will ahve it's market (not sure how much as the current owners don't seem to like the new one) and the FT-86 it's own.

I expect the FT to go from $23k to $28k for all ranges, and not more not less.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #91
jonnyj

Drives: '93 Nissan 300ZX
This idea of "cannibalizing Scion tC sales" is what started the rumor that the FT86 could cost 30k starting. Automakers do this stuff all the time. Look at the Avalon/Lexus ES, milan/fusion, Land Cruiser/LX470. I can think up a ton of examples. RWD sports cars will always be a niche market. Tamer, FWD cars such as the tC will always be volume sellers. Not everyone is interested in performance, and some might view aggressive performance credentials as a negative in a car. A lot of people on the East Coast/Midwest could really be turned off to the fact that this car is a lightweight, RWD car. If it comes in at ~2700lbs and is rear wheel drive, it will probably be something like driving a Miata in the winter; not very practical.
jonnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #92
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyj View Post
When they say that a midlevel car will come in at 28,000, they're referring to the conversion from japanese yen to American dollars. http://www.ft86club.com/?p=276 "- Target price remains steady for mid-level spec FT-86 – approximately 2.5 million yen (approximate $29,000 USD) for Japan Market" These cars tend to cost a lot more in the Japanese market. Take for example the Honda CR-Z. It starts at $25,500 in the Japanese market when converted from Yen to dollars. http://www.insideline.com/honda/cr-z...rom-25500.html In America, it starts at $19,500, and that's a hybrid. If you take this difference and apply it to this car, it should be around 22k for a mid-spec model, which makes sense. Toyota's a smart company, they make mistakes, but I doubt they would jack up the price of a car to the point where it would be DOA because of its competition

Direct currency conversion never works out for car prices in North America. US prices are almost always lower and Toyota knows that the 30k sports car market is getting very crowded with 300-400+ hp cars. The FT-86 will definately come in a lot closer to 20k and top out around 27k so as not to be overshadowed by cars like the 370z, V6 Gen Coupe, Mustang GT, STi, EVO...etc

Things we need to take from this article are that the planned street date is NOV 2011 and, more importantly, the car is only 50% complete so a lot of things that we like about the concept vehicle could still change for better or worse.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #93
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Hey, if some chick is driving FT86 car, I would totally give thumbs up!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #94
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
This idea of "cannibalizing Scion tC sales" is what started the rumor that the FT86 could cost 30k starting. Automakers do this stuff all the time. Look at the Avalon/Lexus ES, milan/fusion, Land Cruiser/LX470. I can think up a ton of examples. RWD sports cars will always be a niche market. Tamer, FWD cars such as the tC will always be volume sellers. Not everyone is interested in performance, and some might view aggressive performance credentials as a negative in a car. A lot of people on the East Coast/Midwest could really be turned off to the fact that this car is a lightweight, RWD car. If it comes in at ~2700lbs and is rear wheel drive, it will probably be something like driving a Miata in the winter; not very practical.

What the n00b said.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #95
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
wow great news hope its real, I haven't been here for few months and going back with this new news makes me excited again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tune-Adam View Post
Guys, I think you all need to come over to 7tune and read the real news on what is going on with this car.

I was invited by Toyota to a very exclusive event on Wednesday and got a chance to talk with the people right at the center of this cars development. That is the people who are at the very top of the chain in the company.

I think I was the only foreign guy there out of about 20 other Japanese guys. Toyota is definitely looking after me.

I have the proper information on this as it stands - you can take heart. There's good news on the horizon and the car is on time and will be basically unchanged.
when you say "basically unchanged" is that including the dash and the zipper pockets? only thing i can confirm was they did have a press meeting last week but on my news letter it was only due to the valve spring recall. yes I did buy some shares on toyota, I did this when toyota shares went down 18% due to the break issues I know toyota will come back on top so I took it to heart I'll be part of the recovery.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #96
Matador
hashiryu

^^ I'd be happy with the interior the way it is minus the dash zippers.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #97
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Cannibalize all of Scion. No one will cry. I believe it was mentioned on here by someone wise that Scion shouldn't be a 'hip' brand, it should be a brand that keeps poor people out of Kias.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #98
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
The FT-86 will definately come in a lot closer to 20k and top out around 27k so as not to be overshadowed by cars like the 370z, V6 Gen Coupe, Mustang GT, STi, EVO...etc
i see we've got a comedian amongst us.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote