follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headers & downpipe/overpipe installation

So, I'm curious how hard is the nameless dp/op install? Can it be down with just jack & stands?

I've heard you have to lift the engine to install it. Is that true? I don't own an engine lift unfortunately.

How about headers? Do these require the engine to be lifted?

Thanks... 90% sure I want to go nameless op/dp combo, not sure on headers yet.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I heard the over/front pipe is doable without a lift but is a squeeze, regarding the headers you won't need any type of lifting and I guess it's easier than the overpipe (I guess)
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Argento_FR-S

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
With my SRT header-back the hardest part was just getting the stock overpipe out. Takes a good bit of twisting and maneuvering, but isn't too bad. I managed to do the whole exhaust on jackstands.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
GOT FR-S

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Firestorm)
I just installed the Rev Works header and Invidia Resonated top pipe today. Both simple and super easy. But the down pipe or over pipe (whatever you want to call it the one that connects the two and goes over the frame). We couldn't remove that piece at all and I had the car on a lift, but maybe if it was on jack stands it may have allowed the wheels to drop creating a little bit of room. But I doubt it..
Vortech SC. Rev Work Header, Perrin over pipe, Invidia resonated top pipe, Greddy EVO3 exhaust, Perrin Light weight crank pulley, Gofast bits lightweight waterpump & alternator pulleys, Perrin Trans & Shifter mount, MTec Shift springs. Cusco rear diff brace, 1pc Alum Drive Shaft (Drive Shaft Shop), ATC performance clutch & Flywheel, Whiteline Positive traction bushings. Grimspeed hood struts. EcuTek Tune.
GOT FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT FR-S View Post
I just installed the Rev Works header and Invidia Resonated top pipe today. Both simple and super easy. But the down pipe or over pipe (whatever you want to call it the one that connects the two and goes over the frame). We couldn't remove that piece at all and I had the car on a lift, but maybe if it was on jack stands it may have allowed the wheels to drop creating a little bit of room. But I doubt it..
If you take the heat shields off, the stock over-pipe comes out towards the back with a little twisting.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-23-2015), GOT FR-S (04-29-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had my car on ramps and use a Jack lift to lift the engine a few inches to get it out
Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdragonxb0i View Post
I had my car on ramps and use a Jack lift to lift the engine a few inches to get it out
No need to even jack the engine up if you take the heat shields off.

cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
tokiokun717

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Are you getting it with the resonator or without? Because that makes a big difference. With the resonator you'll probably have to lift the engine a little (I've Experienced the install twice, one for mine and another for a friends and both required it).

With that said, the amount you have to lift is merely a couple inches max so you can get away with jacking the engine.
tokiokun717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You can take out the stock overpipe without jacking up the engine. Just take off the heat shields and with a little bit of maneuvering you can take it out towards the rear. Installing an aftermarket overpipe will involve jacking up the engine though.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
So, I'm curious how hard is the nameless dp/op install? Can it be down with just jack & stands?

I've heard you have to lift the engine to install it. Is that true? I don't own an engine lift unfortunately.

How about headers? Do these require the engine to be lifted?

Thanks... 90% sure I want to go nameless op/dp combo, not sure on headers yet.
Specifically for the nameless over / front combo with the helmhotz you do have to lift the engine. I put the car up on jack stands (front and rear for ground clerance) then took out the one bolt on the bottom side of the mount on the passanger side then carefully jacked the engine up from the bottom side using my floor jack with a foot long 2x4 across teh oil pan IIRC. You will need to jack it up a few inches to get enough clearance to get the over / front pipe in position then you can let it down.

Do NOT waste your time removing heat shields... that will help you get out the stock over pipe, but you still have to lift the passanger side of the engine to get the nameless over / front pipe in place. So you may as well pull off the stock over pipe after you lift the engine and save yourself 15 minutes.

I did the whole install (not expecting to need to lift the engine) in just over 1 hour.

EDIT: I think i put the 2x4 across under the factory headers... anyway, use something to spread the load across the contact area and go slowly, should not be a problem since you are not supporting the whole weight of the engine.

Last edited by mad_sb; 04-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mad_sb For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (09-23-2015), Sonolin (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Specifically for the nameless over / front combo with the helmhotz you do have to lift the engine. I put the car up on jack stands (front and rear for ground clerance) then took out the one bolt on the bottom side of the mount on the passanger side then carefully jacked the engine up from the bottom side using my floor jack with a foot long 2x4 across teh oil pan IIRC. You will need to jack it up a few inches to get enough clearance to get the over / front pipe in position then you can let it down.

Do NOT waste your time removing heat shields... that will help you get out the stock over pipe, but you still have to lift the passanger side of the engine to get the nameless over / front pipe in place. So you may as well pull off the stock over pipe after you lift the engine and save yourself 15 minutes.

I did the whole install (not expecting to need to lift the engine) in just over 1 hour.

EDIT: I think i put the 2x4 across under the factory headers... anyway, use something to spread the load across the contact area and go slowly, should not be a problem since you are not supporting the whole weight of the engine.
Awesome thank you! That's where my misunderstanding was, I didn't even realize you can just use a jack to lift it up (I thought you had to lift the entire engine up with an engine lift).

Sounds like a pretty easy install!
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
GOT FR-S

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Firestorm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
If you take the heat shields off, the stock over-pipe comes out towards the back with a little twisting.

Good to know! thanks, I work around it. lol. I eventually want to change that out as its the last stock pc on my entire exhaust system. lol
Vortech SC. Rev Work Header, Perrin over pipe, Invidia resonated top pipe, Greddy EVO3 exhaust, Perrin Light weight crank pulley, Gofast bits lightweight waterpump & alternator pulleys, Perrin Trans & Shifter mount, MTec Shift springs. Cusco rear diff brace, 1pc Alum Drive Shaft (Drive Shaft Shop), ATC performance clutch & Flywheel, Whiteline Positive traction bushings. Grimspeed hood struts. EcuTek Tune.
GOT FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I installed the Borla header and catted+resonated Nameless over/front pipe with the car on jackstands (front only). I did have to jack up the engine a few inches, and maneuvering the Nameless pipe into place was tight, but doable.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can anyone post a picture of where exactly the jack is when lifting the engine?
I had no idea about this.
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote