follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Spec D headlight review

So I was able to get my hands on a set today. I've been asked to give my honest review of them. Pros and Cons.

I'll start with the easiest.. Pros

They fit the car...

And...

Well they fit the car..

They are not a horrible light, but the projector is crap. They through a H1 bulb in there with spacers/adapters in a slot that fits a D2S OEM style bulb perfect. If you install a hid bulb you have to use another washer to hold it in. This is crap because you have to play with the bulb for ever to get any kind of "proper" light, and I use proper loosely..

The "DRL" strip looks good in low lighting, but put it in the sun and it's washed away. You can still see it glowing a little, there is a difference between on and off in direct sun. But it's not much and from a distance you wouldn't be able to tell..

They are heavy.. About as heavy as the OEM JDM/10 series/monogram setup, with ballast and all.

They are molded to run OEM ballast bolted to the bottom and again OEM D2S bulbs so that's a positive, but even then it's not the best cut off.. Better then the H1. Finish looks very good. Plastic lens feels very cheap. And you can easily see "leaks" of lights around the strip.. I can actually see between the light defuser and housing to the led chips. There is no "DRL" function, but that's remedy by tapping it into the high beam positive wire. A DRL mod would work for this. Same way for the winjets that @fteightysix sells. I personally liked the blinkers, though as being led the viewing angle is pretty much directly in front.

Here are some pictures

Bottom of the housing again set up to run OEM ballast should you choose

H1 stock bulb that comes installed in it

Morimoto D2S XB35 bulb is a direct fit..

Cutoff with the D2S isn't nothing to be proud of, but I think is better the OEM... Maybe

Set up with the customers HID H1 kit

And after a few minutes moving the bulb all over I finally got this

I think with a proper retrofit, running OEM parts, it would be a decent setup.. I'd like to see how the lens stands up, but otherwise it's ok.. I'd personally change out the led chips to something better also.. That may help with the light being so washed out in the sun..

Overall I'll rank the winjets far above these as far as fit and finish and quality.. Looks well I like the looks and if that's what your going for, in lower light conditions I think you'll be happy.. But that's about all this light could do for me..
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-18-2014), Efferalgan (06-07-2014), Gundark (10-08-2014), HATED1 (04-15-2014), housecat (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
FRSHunter

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
How does the OEM ballast connect though? Theres usually a hole that connects the power to the bottom of the ballast
FRSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
@Gixxersixxerman @fteightysix this is very sad. I have Winjets and don't want to take a step back in terms of light output. Any chance that the set you received could have "defective" parts and manufacturing?

I want to like this headlamp.

You mentioned that there was no DRL function. How would one go about having the LED strip function as a DRL?

Can you post more pics of the headlamp showing more than the cutoff? How it looks installed on the customer's car and the LED strip + HIDs?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
oh my god. I was holding these lights in such high hopes

Im no electrical engineer so pulling these apart and rewiring them to work better isnt going to be my forté. Looks like the stock BRZ lights are still the best.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
So… what does the front look like?
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSHunter View Post
How does the OEM ballast connect though? Theres usually a hole that connects the power to the bottom of the ballast
That's just a rubber cap, once removed it's already got the cut out for the power wire to the bulb and all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
@Gixxersixxerman @fteightysix this is very sad. I have Winjets and don't want to take a step back in terms of light output. Any chance that the set you received could have "defective" parts and manufacturing?

I want to like this headlamp.

You mentioned that there was no DRL function. How would one go about having the LED strip function as a DRL?

Can you post more pics of the headlamp showing more than the cutoff? How it looks installed on the customer's car and the LED strip + HIDs?
It may have very well be a defective model. When we called Spec D, they told us that some of our order couldn't ship because "half the lights out there have a defect" but mainly bad LEDs from my understanding.. You can easily wire it to make it function as a DRL. Just splice the wire into the positive wire of the high beam. It's live when your driving as the OEM setup that's the DRL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 View Post
So… what does the front look like?
I personally didn't take pictures of anything else, but I'll post a link.. This might be what people are looking for and I tried to come up with as many positives as I could.. With some work I'm sure these can be a great piece.. Better projector, or maybe even some work on this one, I'm unsure, and some bright led chips.. And you have some better lighting going on here.. My job is centered around lighting, and for me this wouldn't cut it, but maybe that's fine for others, most seem to think the hid in OEM projectors is just fine

Here is a link, the customer loved it.. And in the end he spent his money and liked it, so that's all that matters I guess

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63402
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-17-2014), SkAsphalt (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
randomweather

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is the LED strip closer to 6k or 8k? What color HID would match it?

Some pics are more purple-ish, while some are more blue-ish...
randomweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
DJEQ1988

Drives: Red Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
spec-d hid kit

Hey can you show me how to install the h1 bulb kit, saw the picture you have but don't understand what's going to what wire.
DJEQ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote