follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #85
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota is about to encounter a Huge pending Problem with this one. This thread does need a sticky.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carwhisperer For This Useful Post:
2forme (06-05-2013), TemeCal (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #86
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
We're not the only ones having issues.

http://arrowsdiary.blog.shinobi.jp/Date/20130604/
Looking at these pictures, seems pretty similar to mine. 2 injectors looked quite a bit worse than the other 2. My guess (from my own experience and @Carwhisperer 's comments), is that the driver side injectors are the ones getting fried the most/first.

@CSG Mike -
Do you recall how your 4 injectors looked the first time you had the issue? Did the passenger side look quite a bit better than the driver side?
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #87
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
Looking at these pictures, seems pretty similar to mine. 2 injectors looked quite a bit worse than the other 2. My guess (from my own experience and @Carwhisperer 's comments), is that the driver side injectors are the ones getting fried the most/first.

@CSG Mike -
Do you recall how your 4 injectors looked the first time you had the issue? Did the passenger side look quite a bit better than the driver side?
I've never *actually* seen them, but any soft codes thrown were always cylinder 2, which I believe is the passenger side.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #88
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've never *actually* seen them, but any soft codes thrown were always cylinder 2, which I believe is the passenger side.
How were you able to pull the soft codes? Didn't someone mention they clear themselves immediately?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #89
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
How were you able to pull the soft codes? Didn't someone mention they clear themselves immediately?
Ours weren't cleared immediately, but would clear themselves automatically after a short period of driving.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #90
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
This is such a disappointing issue. Whether you track your car or not, its something that's just so typical of OEMs. Its things like this where you can see why people go with companies like Porsche and Mazda for spec racing and track. Their American engineering support and involvement exist, you have contacts, support.

This entire issue would have already been addressed. The fact that its not is just another sign how half baked this car is in so many ways.
Don't be too sure about that. IMO, all manufacturers are the same. Ask the GT3 guys how well they think Porsche dealt with catatrophic coolant hose failure, centerlock failure, and variocam adjuster failures. Then there's the 996, 986, 997.1, and 987.1 IMS failures...

I'm hoping Subaru will do right by us soon enough. I've mentioned this in another thread, but I purchased a 2004 STI when they first came out. The factory tune had bad detonation issues. I demonstrated to the dealer the pinging sounds, and they came out with a reflash which fixed the problem. I expressed my concerns about future reliability of the engine since it had already suffered episodes of detonation and they gave me a free 100k extended warranty upgrade. Let's hope they continue to do the right thing.

Last edited by orthojoe; 06-05-2013 at 04:41 PM.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #91
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Its summer and im 100% sure we will see tons of cars with blown engines or at least injector seal leaks because the heat will accelerate the process. Hopefully they start to take notice and do something about the stupid direct injection issue.

Quote:
Ours weren't cleared immediately, but would clear themselves automatically after a short period of driving.
Yup, when it happened to me my car lost power and threw a code that went away when i regained power after 3 secs. After 2 minutes the car went into limp mode and threw 2 permanent codes.

Cant believe my engine died at 4K miles .
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #92
enderr

Drives: 2013 Toyobaru FT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Questions

(I'm kinda new here so be gentile)

So...

> Does anybody know if this has happened with an automatic transmission?

I drive to red line and shift down to 5500 - 5800 A LOT. I drive aggressively enough where I'm thinking about installing a shift light that i can mount on the A-pillar because I'm constantly hitting the fuel cutoff. I've never tracked the car and this thread is making me wonder if I should.
enderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #93
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderr View Post
(I'm kinda new here so be gentile)

So...

> Does anybody know if this has happened with an automatic transmission?

I drive to red line and shift down to 5500 - 5800 A LOT. I drive aggressively enough where I'm thinking about installing a shift light that i can mount on the A-pillar because I'm constantly hitting the fuel cutoff. I've never tracked the car and this thread is making me wonder if I should.
We have shift light came with car

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #94
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
This is such a disappointing issue. Whether you track your car or not, its something that's just so typical of OEMs. Its things like this where you can see why people go with companies like Porsche and Mazda for spec racing and track. Their American engineering support and involvement exist, you have contacts, support.

This entire issue would have already been addressed. The fact that its not is just another sign how half baked this car is in so many ways.
While I agree that the way this has been handled so far is disappointing, calling it half baked seems a bit much. It's at least 3/4 baked.

On another note, my dealership claimed that when they installed my new ECU for the cam sensor issue that they updated the ROM to prevent me having the injector issue. They may have just updated to whatever the latest is and told me that because the injectors is what I asked about, but it's possible it's out there and just not in an official TSB yet as they go case by case. They did have @TemeCal's car in at the same time for the injector issue. Gary, did they tell you that they did the ECU update or not?

This was at Scion btw. I feel that one of the biggest issues with getting the kinks worked out of this car is having a separation between the service and engineering departments at each manufacturer's dealerships so disconnected from one another. There is trickle over/down both ways as we've seen with some of the other TSB's, but there seems to be a delay one way or the other on the manufacturers recognizing, understanding, and issuing fixes for the issues we've run into.

The biggest problem with their handling of this issue is telling people that a CEL is necessary. If something is obviously wrong with the way the engine is running (Hello, it's not supposed to sound like firecrackers going off), they should find out what's going on, CEL or not. Going solely on the computer's output when something is obviously audibly wrong is completely asinine, and in the case of @CSG Mike's car resulted in a blown motor. From my understanding this would never have happened if they had fixed the issue when Mike tried to first take it in. But until his blew, we didn't really know that this issue could cause such a catastrophic failure.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #95
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Well said. I would ask my dealer about the updated flash, but im fed up with them.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #96
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieNate View Post
They did have @TemeCal's car in at the same time for the injector issue. Gary, did they tell you that they did the ECU update or not?
Prior to picking up my car, I asked about an ECU update. I asked if there was an updated flash that addresses this issue. The SA's response was "your ECU has the latest flash". I asked if it contains a fix for this DI issue, and he wasn't sure. I seemed to know more about a possible fix coming, than he did.

So I'm 99% sure the flash they performed on my car, does NOT have the fix. Nowhere in my invoice does it state anything about an updated flash. Just the way he responded to my questions, made it sound like a fix wasn't in the flash.

I may try contacting the Manager tomorrow. He's been really cool to work with, and always researches and looks into things. He's constantly on the phone with Toyota and other dealerships. If I have time tomorrow, I'll ask him if he can contact whoever to try and get some answers about a possible ECU fix.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
SubieNate (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #97
enderr

Drives: 2013 Toyobaru FT-86
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
We have shift light came with car
yeah i know (and i use it) but i wanted something a little brighter and mounted further up in my field of vision. that's not really the point anyways...

this dosen't seem to be the same magnitude of a problem the cam gear thing was for us earlier. but I wonder non the less.

I drive the car VERY hard a couple of times each day but for short stints (3-10) minutes at a time. that whole time the engine never gets the opportunity to operate below 5000rpm and these are daily occurrences so...

> has this happened to street driven only vehicles?

> has anyone with an automatic transmission reported this problem?
enderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #98
FT_Monk

Drives: Over the hill WRX
If the code clear itself then $10 say this problems is known to Subaru/Toyota engineer.
FT_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote