follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
Carbon420

Drives: 2013 FR-S Raven with carbon fiber
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd have been the one begging for people to not call the cops cause shed have been dead in the ditch. People have to stop texting and driving. Screw tickets their obviously not working. Jail time. Only way these people will learn. They threatened me with dangerous e driving when I was doing 100 in a 50. Honestly texting is more dangerouse than being a bit over the speed limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Another reason why texting and driving should be a capital punishment offense... maybe then people will stop that shit once their relatives get more than a ticket for causing an accident!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
you should have asked her if she was texting the cops for you.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #18
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hope you get it all sorted out. and your not physically harmed.

i am extremely lucky i didnt get rear ended today. I was at a stop light and all of the sudden i hear tire screeching. The guy behind me slammed his brakes, and swerved into the opposing lane and traveled 2-3 car lengths ahead of me. Me and my FRS would been done for.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #19
Ahernandez0909

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
All I've learned from being rear ended is act like your neck is broken. Then you get money for injuries and a like $1000 for some other shit that you can just use on other shit

Member Journal
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Poor baby, I hope she's back on the road soon.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
Stevieray

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt Scion FR-S
I am sorry this happened to you and your FR-S. Just this week I was driving here in Vegas and a car in the next lane swerved into my lane and proceeded over the double yellow center line just missing an oncoming vehicle, I thought they were driving under the influence. I caught up with the car at the next light, the bitch was texting and gave me a dirty look when I honked my horn to get her attention. I screamed at her " are you kidding?, your going to kill somebody! The selfish bitch just keep texting. It is against the law in Nevada to text and you must have a hands free device when talking EVEN at a stoplight because you are still operating a motor vehicle. The fine for breaking the law here is a joke, $50.00, put some teeth into the law, say $400.00 then you will see people stop.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
BbOuLoSs

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
thanks everyone, i hope this process is as quick and painless as possible

Quote:
Damn, that sucks.

Seems to be some nasty damage in the corner. Is the metal pushed inwards there?
yeah the inside metal is pushed in, and the trunk is compressed inward. the guy at the dealer ball parked at least 3500 in damage

Quote:
what other tickets did she get? do you know?
im not really sure, they're all coded on the police report but she probably got one for being on the phone, and a few for being a dumb*** in general lol
Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hopefully you checked your clock when she hit you. If she was texting, your insurance company can probably have her cell phone records pulled if they try to give you some BS.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bummer!

Lots of stupid drivers out there. At least your FR-S isn't dead.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #25
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
I can assure you, everyone DOES NOT do it.
Truth. There's plenty of people who don't do it at all. Personally, I'll only read (not write) texts if I'm already stopped at a light. If I need to write one, I'll either call the person or wait until I get where I'm going.

In reality, texting is more dangerous than talking alone on a handsfree - at least you don't have to specifically focus away from the road to do it, although I think this car is a bit lacking on the safety front for this - some steering wheel controls would be nice for the radio and bluetooth. I find myself having the same feeling changing the radio as I do as if I were texting in the FR-S. It's like I missed most of the last 15 seconds or so of driving in order to get the song right.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #26
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
texting,talking on a cell phone strapped to your head, (even hands free devices) all are inherently "dangerous"
people who perform these activities while driving, are incredibly "obtuse",OR shockingly
"apathetic" both to their own safety,and to the safety of others.
So is having a conversation with passengers in the car, having to pay some attention to your children in the back seat, listening to the radio, eating, drinking, etc...

I'm not advocating phone use while in the car. I toss my phone to my wife and tell her to text someone or look something up if she doesn't have hers, and admittedly while I'm waiting at a light I've picked up my phone before and I stream music from my phone so there have been occasions where I change the "channel," but I'm just saying.. Any distraction is still a distraction.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #27
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
So is having a conversation with passengers in the car, having to pay some attention to your children in the back seat, listening to the radio, eating, drinking, etc...
Eating will get you pulled over and ticketed in some of the towns around me for that reason. Other people and children in the car isn't ideal for paying attention, but I regularly just say "wait a sec" if I need to do something like check a blind spot for a merge, and ignore them for a little bit if they keep talking. I don't have kids, so I don't have to deal with that yet, but I can't imagine it not being a pain.

The radio is what I take issue with though. Depending on the music, it's frequently easier to focus on doing something that it would be without. I'm constantly listening to repetitive instrumental electronica when I work (software development) because it's easier to zone in to what you're doing, and it's no different when driving. I think of all the things you mentioned, listening to music is the one that's so varied in the experience that you can't make a blanket statement about its' effects on driving ability.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #28
b.e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava, 2007 Tundra
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
To the OP: glad you're okay.

I texted while driving once, on a road with no other drivers on it, the letters "omw," which I later noticed I had misspelled because I was trying hard not to look down. I still feel guilty about that, because after I hit send and concentrated on the road again, it took several seconds to reorient myself to my surroundings. It's a huge distraction, and only idiots could think wasn't a huge distraction.

Even talking on the bluetooth phone, after I hang up I can't remember the road I just passed over. But oddly talking on ham radio has the opposite effect for me (in my truck). After the conversation is over, the road locations are tied in my head to parts of the conversation; I can tell you exactly where I was and what I saw when recalling parts of the qso. Kind of an after effect thing; I'm not endorsing any distractions while driving.

Another thing: I've noticed I concentrate on the road WAY MORE in my FRS than in my truck. Immediacy of the driving experience in the FRS, I'd say is the cause.

Listening to radio seems to have no effect on me. Listening to hard, fast music causes me to speed up, but I listen to that very rarely. Listening to Board of Canada might actually improve my driving, like @blackraven1425 said.

Closed Thread