follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #29
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synkronicity View Post
  • Is it bad to continuously stall the car?
  • Any tips to learning stick/manual?
  • How long did it take for you to learn stick?
1. You are unlikely to hurt anything
2. Practice
3. Probably about 10 hours to feel ok driving just about everywhere, 10k miles in the Toyobaru to feel comfortable, 30k miles to feel proficient. I'm a slow learner when it comes to physical tasks, even just yesterday morning I was too fast on the clutch and chirped the wheels in a parking lot after owning the car for 2.5 years and 38k miles.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #30
5thGenOwner

Drives: '10 SS & '15 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh man am I greatful that this forum is around, you guys have given me so much advice and I'm now able to comfortably drive my car on the highway and some local roads! I stalled once yesterday, on a hill because I started to lose my cool.

I have some anxiety issues when it comes to me not having control over situations so when I hear crazy noises in a new car, I freak out a little LOL.

Again thanks for all the replies, I'm LOVING my BRZ
Sounds like you are getting more confident by the day; grats on the ride and learning something new.

Car forums are some of the best places on the internet. On the C5 forum we use this every time someone joins club...
5thGenOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5thGenOwner For This Useful Post:
meWant (05-27-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
1. You are unlikely to hurt anything
2. Practice
3. Probably about 10 hours to feel ok driving just about everywhere, 10k miles in the Toyobaru to feel comfortable, 30k miles to feel proficient. I'm a slow learner when it comes to physical tasks, even just yesterday morning I was too fast on the clutch and chirped the wheels in a parking lot after owning the car for 2.5 years and 38k miles.
Been driving MT for over 40 years and I still accidently chirp, miss a shift and just generally screw up ever now and then. Anybody that tells you they don't is either lying, have a very short memory or consider everything they ever do wrong somebody/something else's fault.
daiheadjai (05-26-2015), krayzie (05-25-2015), meWant (05-27-2015), strat61caster (05-25-2015), Ultramaroon (05-27-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #32
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
That noise is normal. The engine will do that if you load it too much below 1500rpm. Try to avoid doing that.

Firstly never let the revs drop below 1000rpm. It's okay to go below 1500rpm while in gear if you're coming to a stop, but you don't want to try and accelerate with the revs below that. There's no power down there. When you start from a stand still you need to feather the throttle until you get above 4-5mph, by then you'll be above 1500rpm in first gear.

I think that noise comes from the camshaft when it's not getting enough oil. The oil pressure drops when the revs drop too low.
He's probably hearing clutch chatter which is normal.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #33
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
My dealer didnt drill holes in the front of the car for the license plate, should I get the towing plate thing for it or just get it drilled in?
This project is relatively easy and works great. Just need to order some magnets.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...205#post903205
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #34
Synkronicity

Drives: Ford Escape to BRZ
Ok so I have another sound, this one is really hard for me to describe so I got a video of it. It happens when I'm driving and then I go into neutral to stop, happens about 80% of the time (maybe more but I don't pay attention to the other 20% lol)

Here's the video
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDcfyipCbA"]BRZ Strange Sound - YouTube[/ame]

You can hear it at around the 7 second mark, it'll sound like rapid fire like you were making a raspberry sound with your mouth. Patter patter patter.
It's extremely quiet in the video so make sure you play it and listen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
This project is relatively easy and works great. Just need to order some magnets.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...205#post903205
I ordered my magnet and I'll be doing this with a friend!
Synkronicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #35
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Quote:
I ordered my magnet and I'll be doing this with a friend!
Couple notes from a fellow S.B owner:

-There are pop rivets that appear to be different on the s.b than on others. Specifically, the pop rivets on the underside of the bumper that attach the very edges of the front lip. On mine, they don't appear to be reusable (or even easily removable). It's possible to do this project while leaving the final two pop rivets intact--you'll just tilt the front bumper down and reach inside from the top.

-make sure to use some sort of padding on the license plate frame, and do it early. I used felt pads, but glued them on immediately before mounting the plate for the first time. Consequently, there's a little bit of marring on my car's moustache, and i can't tell if it's from scratches or if a little bit of super glue transferred.

Edit: this isn't an ideal example, but here is the general location of the pop rivets i was talking about in point #1:

The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Synkronicity (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #36
Synkronicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Couple notes from a fellow S.B owner:

-There are pop rivets that appear to be different on the s.b than on others. Specifically, the pop rivets on the underside of the bumper that attach the very edges of the front lip. On mine, they don't appear to be reusable (or even easily removable). It's possible to do this project while leaving the final two pop rivets intact--you'll just tilt the front bumper down and reach inside from the top.

-make sure to use some sort of padding on the license plate frame, and do it early. I used felt pads, but glued them on immediately before mounting the plate for the first time. Consequently, there's a little bit of marring on my car's moustache, and i can't tell if it's from scratches or if a little bit of super glue transferred.

Edit: this isn't an ideal example, but here is the general location of the pop rivets i was talking about in point #1:

Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up!

Since you also own an sb, does your car make a similar sound to mine like in the video i posted?

Last edited by Synkronicity; 05-26-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #37
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok so I have another sound, this one is really hard for me to describe so I got a video of it. It happens when I'm driving and then I go into neutral to stop, happens about 80% of the time (maybe more but I don't pay attention to the other 20% lol)

Here's the video

You can hear it at around the 7 second mark, it'll sound like rapid fire like you were making a raspberry sound with your mouth. Patter patter patter.
It's extremely quiet in the video so make sure you play it and listen!
I think that's your synchros. How are you going to neutral (i.e. at what speed and from which gear)? Sounds like you are not disengaging the clutch enough before popping the shifter out of gear.

BTW don't learn how to drive stick from subaruwrxfan, no offence but IMHO I've watched his videos before he doesn't really know what he's doing.

Just keep practicing with your BRZ since this is your first stick shift daily and you want to be smooth with THIS car first. Don't learn how to drive stick in an old Porsche because the shift timing and clutch feel and shifter feel are totally different (actually every stick shift car is a little different and you got to adapt).

If you really have to watch YouTube to learn stick, many many years ago I've seen videos by s0ggyrice (he made a series of them) and he seems to be pretty good at explaining.

https://www.youtube.com/user/s0ggyrice

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t85kDzc76ZE"]how to drive stick - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by krayzie; 05-26-2015 at 09:43 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #38
Synkronicity

Yea im driving only my BRZ now, i feel comfortable driving it but i suck at downshifting and judging when to downshift, so sometimes ill be at fifth gear at like 40 mph and ill just throw it into neutral and coast to a red light (knowing that its mostly safe) but if i think im in danger of getting rear ended or id need to move, i attempt downshifting. When i throw it into neutral at 2.5k ish rpm from fifth, the sound normally happens then. I think i was at third and just tossed it into neutral in the video.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #39
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Quote:
Sounds good. Thanks for the heads up!

Since you also own an sb, does your car make a similar sound to mine like in the video i posted?
I can't hear too well, but I don't think so. I can't really tell what that is. Although it shouldn't matter if it's a S.B or not, as they all use the same 6MT
Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #40
Synkronicity

https://www.wevideo.com/hub#media/ci...neId=403221683

try this video, I edited that part to make it sound louder
Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #41
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
FWIW, I don't go into neutral when coming to a stop. I just hold the clutch in. Sometimes I work down thru the gears, 5-4-3-2-1. And other times I'll just go straight to 1st. But I don't hear the chattering you have in your video. And the car is ready to move if I need to get out of the way suddenly.

Been driving sticks for over 35 years.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #42
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
FWIW, I don't go into neutral when coming to a stop. I just hold the clutch in. Sometimes I work down thru the gears, 5-4-3-2-1. And other times I'll just go straight to 1st. But I don't hear the chattering you have in your video. And the car is ready to move if I need to get out of the way suddenly.

Been driving sticks for over 35 years.
While some argue that holding the clutch in for extended periods of time put additional wear and stress on the TO bearing, I am interested to see how much damage is truly done by doing that.

I myself put the car in neutral on reds and most times that I know I won't have to possibly react.. but most the time (traffic especially) neutral is out of the question
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote