follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2016, 03:16 AM   #841
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
What OFT maps are you guys running?

Checking the site, it looks like ESC OFT maps are gone? Should we be running a regular map with ESC? The maps were updated fairly recently and have some good reviews.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #842
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
What OFT maps are you guys running?

Checking the site, it looks like ESC OFT maps are gone? Should we be running a regular map with ESC? The maps were updated fairly recently and have some good reviews.

In running shivs esc maps. You need to run a map for boost.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
l0aded (04-19-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #843
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My starter battery finally died today so I ordered a new one. I have the original 1.5 battery pack using the Power Sonic PSH-12180NB-FR. It's been good to me so I ordered the same thing.

FYI they're on sale right now for $39.99 from AtBatt. Had to order them through Amazon though because the AtBatt site is down. I should order 2 more for the dump pack but the originals are still good.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-16-2016), FingR-S (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #844
WNDSRFR

Well, I just swapped the starter battery for one of the dumps. Now my car starts AND has boost. It feels about the same as before. I should have made a log before and after but oh well.
I think the reason why it still works might be because the starter draws a lot more current than the blower. So the battery didn't have enough juice for the starter but it still has enough for the blower. That and the fact that the dump batteries are constantly being charged so they don't need to "hold" a charge like the starter battery does. In fact that makes a good case for using super capacitors for the dump charge! They don't need to hold a charge really.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #845
Norville Rogers
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You've got me eying up my redundant Nicky Clarke now....
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norville Rogers For This Useful Post:
Raymer (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #846
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Phantom FTS Electric Supercharger Owners Thread

My collection of powersonics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-16-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #847
WNDSRFR

So, can you feel a big difference with the big cranks vs. the power sonics? Or do they just cost a lot more?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #848
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
So, can you feel a big difference with the big cranks vs. the power sonics? Or do they just cost a lot more?
The Big Cranks feel about 5-10% stronger and seem to provide more "stable" boost charachteristics. Emphasis here is on "feel" as I have no data to back this up.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #849
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

I concur with @DAEMANO it just feels slightly better. I am curious how the system feels with all pc 680s now. I'll wait for rob or Fenton to jump in

Installed Mods:
Old 04-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #850
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
Well the first AX went pretty well for me. I did notice that by the second lap the ESC wasnt kicking in with the same vigor. I had about 15 mins and then i ran another two hard laps. The same thing happened, she was till pushing boost but i noticed it wasnt as powerful.

Now what was weird, and you experts here could probably tell me why. But i noticed while doing my cool down, that after my two sessions (4 laps total) that the voltage wouldnt go above 26.6. I let the car cool down, and popped the hood while it was parked for about an hour. My coolant never moved and my oil never got above 220 after a run. The engine bay was pretty warm and the ESC felt more than warm to the touch. I was thinking the heat was causing an issue, but i dont know.

However, and hour later i turned the car back on to warm up for next two sessions and bingo: 28.2 V. Mind you my batteries are likely still breaking in, but the ESC performed great for the first lap and started to peak lower in the second lap.

So the ESC is fine for AX type events. HPDEs, its not up to the challenge as of yet. Of course, most of us would already know that without even trying it out. But it did let me take 6th fastest time of the day out 16 other cars. And to let everyone know what the competition was for this little ESC to stack up against, here is the list:

1st. EVO 9 (National Time Attack car. 600+HP and roll cage)
2nd. 997.2 Turbo
3rd. 991 GT3
4th. 15' Z28 Camaro
5th. 996 turbo (tune and suspension)
6th. BRZ w/ESC
7th. Boxster Spyder
8th. C6 Corvette
9th. 981 Boxster S
10th. Lotus Elise

and 6 more that I dont think were at the same driving level as the rest us. Yes, I am the scrub of the group...but its fun beating the more expensive cars. Many were fairly new. I barely got above 80mph, on the 4 straightaways that were right at .23 miles long. But a lot of these cars were over 100mph at those same 4 spots. This is almost like a mini time attack setup, more than a standard AX.

So....

Street - ESC all the way
AX - ESC is up to the task
Track Day - ESC starts to lose the kick from the batteries.

Still a great little bargain. But once my wife has this season under her belt, we will likely be ready to move the car up to a more traditional FI setup for tracking.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-30-2016), DAEMANO (04-24-2016), Gums (04-19-2016), keen as (04-28-2016), WRB5titch (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #851
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
I concur with @DAEMANO it just feels slightly better. I am curious how the system feels with all pc 680s now. I'll wait for rob or Fenton to jump in

I concur. The PC680 and Big crank setup feel better.
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-20-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #852
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Phantom FTS Electric Supercharger Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Well the first AX went pretty well for me. I did notice that by the second lap the ESC wasnt kicking in with the same vigor. I had about 15 mins and then i ran another two hard laps. The same thing happened, she was till pushing boost but i noticed it wasnt as powerful.

Now what was weird, and you experts here could probably tell me why. But i noticed while doing my cool down, that after my two sessions (4 laps total) that the voltage wouldnt go above 26.6. I let the car cool down, and popped the hood while it was parked for about an hour. My coolant never moved and my oil never got above 220 after a run. The engine bay was pretty warm and the ESC felt more than warm to the touch. I was thinking the heat was causing an issue, but i dont know.

However, and hour later i turned the car back on to warm up for next two sessions and bingo: 28.2 V. Mind you my batteries are likely still breaking in, but the ESC performed great for the first lap and started to peak lower in the second lap.

So the ESC is fine for AX type events. HPDEs, its not up to the challenge as of yet. Of course, most of us would already know that without even trying it out. But it did let me take 6th fastest time of the day out 16 other cars. And to let everyone know what the competition was for this little ESC to stack up against, here is the list:

1st. EVO 9 (National Time Attack car. 600+HP and roll cage)
2nd. 997.2 Turbo
3rd. 991 GT3
4th. 15' Z28 Camaro
5th. 996 turbo (tune and suspension)
6th. BRZ w/ESC
7th. Boxster Spyder
8th. C6 Corvette
9th. 981 Boxster S
10th. Lotus Elise

and 6 more that I dont think were at the same driving level as the rest us. Yes, I am the scrub of the group...but its fun beating the more expensive cars. Many were fairly new. I barely got above 80mph, on the 4 straightaways that were right at .23 miles long. But a lot of these cars were over 100mph at those same 4 spots. This is almost like a mini time attack setup, more than a standard AX.

So....

Street - ESC all the way
AX - ESC is up to the task
Track Day - ESC starts to lose the kick from the batteries.

Still a great little bargain. But once my wife has this season under her belt, we will likely be ready to move the car up to a more traditional FI setup for tracking.

To answer a few things:

For AX I would recommend the aux charger upgrade. I don't think rob is selling the aux charger but he did post a ways back ( @DAEMANO ) an aftermarket aux charger that should work for you.

This has the added benefit of not only charging your batteries faster (better for the second lap) but also keeping your controller cooler.

Which takes me to the 26.6 v situation.

This is a fail safe when the system is under high use. You still pretty much get full boost but it won't charge the batteries at full rate past 26.6 instead it trickle charges from that point on so as not to hurt anything in the system.

After 10 mins or so it resets (after the heat dissipates) and goes back to normal charge.

I added an air vent to my car to help keep the system cool for these situations. And I can't remember the last time I had the 26.6 v situation.

Hope this helps!

Installed Mods:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-20-2016), keen as (04-28-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #853
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
To answer a few things:

For AX I would recommend the aux charger upgrade. I don't think rob is selling the aux charger but he did post a ways back ( @DAEMANO ) an aftermarket aux charger that should work for you.

This has the added benefit of not only charging your batteries faster (better for the second lap) but also keeping your controller cooler.

Which takes me to the 26.6 v situation.

This is a fail safe when the system is under high use. You still pretty much get full boost but it won't charge the batteries at full rate past 26.6 instead it trickle charges from that point on so as not to hurt anything in the system.

After 10 mins it resets or so after the heat dissipates it usually goes back to normal.

I added an air vent to my car to help keep the system cool for these situations. And I can't remember the last time I had the 26.6 v situation.

Hope this helps!

Excellent news. I am glad thats all it was. Still the ESC is pretty dang good. I love that there is a failsafe.

And yes the AUX charger would be great. Again, a single AX lap would likely not be too taxing. We were running 3min+ lapping sessions, with a portion of the track being a barrel run. Meaning, you go straight for almost a 1/4 mile come to almost a stop while going 180 around a cone and then speeding back the way you came, before entering into some fast gates. Unlike most AX events, i was WOT quite a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-20-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #854
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Excellent news. I am glad thats all it was. Still the ESC is pretty dang good. I love that there is a failsafe.

And yes the AUX charger would be great. Again, a single AX lap would likely not be too taxing. We were running 3min+ lapping sessions, with a portion of the track being a barrel run. Meaning, you go straight for almost a 1/4 mile come to almost a stop while going 180 around a cone and then speeding back the way you came, before entering into some fast gates. Unlike most AX events, i was WOT quite a bit.

That barrel run... Did you see how far down your voltage dropped? Or how long you were at WOT?

Also any plans to snag the procede?

Installed Mods: