follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #477
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Installed the tunnel covers yesterday

Perfect fitment and clearance with the Dezod catback. 130 mph track testing in two weeks!
I can only imagine what these tunnel covers might do to transmission temperatures. The open tunnel is the only escape for all that hot air flowing under the motor (as designed). Closing the exit door to those gases seems as if is going to produce a small oven around the transmission, driveshaft, and rear diff. Has anybody from Speedfactory done any testing on this effect?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #478
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
What were you averaging before, and what are you averaging now? Also, do you have just the rear diffuser, or do you have both front splitter and rear diffuser. Tempted to get one since I drive 21k miles a year, plus they look good.
I only have the rear diffuser for now as I'm still undecided on the front splitter, though it would take little arm twisting to push me over the edge .

I'll need more fill ups with the diffuser to get an average mpg with the diffuser so I can compare the 2 averages and not just a single fill up. I averaged 26.3 mpg before the rear diffuser install. According to my fuel app, I got 25.7mpg on my last tank before the diffuser install. The one and only fill up after the diffuser install came out to 28.3 mpg (my best so far) which is where the app got the 2.6 mpg difference. Once I get more fill ups with the diffuser, I'll be able to better compare the 2 averages but the initial data is already confirming the claims made by Velox of reducing drag.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
cawith (04-23-2016), Kaotic Lazagna (04-23-2016), VerusEric (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #479
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
this is shaping up to be awesome
Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 AM   #480
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,011 Times in 1,854 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
I only have the rear diffuser for now as I'm still undecided on the front splitter, though it would take little arm twisting to push me over the edge .

I'll need more fill ups with the diffuser to get an average mpg with the diffuser so I can compare the 2 averages and not just a single fill up. I averaged 26.3 mpg before the rear diffuser install. According to my fuel app, I got 25.7mpg on my last tank before the diffuser install. The one and only fill up after the diffuser install came out to 28.3 mpg (my best so far) which is where the app got the 2.6 mpg difference. Once I get more fill ups with the diffuser, I'll be able to better compare the 2 averages but the initial data is already confirming the claims made by Velox of reducing drag.
Thanks. I look forward to future updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
rookie (04-23-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #481
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
I can only imagine what these tunnel covers might do to transmission temperatures. The open tunnel is the only escape for all that hot air flowing under the motor (as designed). Closing the exit door to those gases seems as if is going to produce a small oven around the transmission, driveshaft, and rear diff. Has anybody from Speedfactory done any testing on this effect?
I'm a bit confused how you think the transmission is cooling in an OEM application.

Granted, without temperature probes this is all speculation, but I doubt much heat transfer happens between the case and air passing by it. I would assume if Toyobaru wanted to transfer heat via underbody airflow, they would have included some fins in the cast case similar to Harley heads.

These panels actually cover further rearward of the transmission and the air can surely escape behind these. It isn't air tight.

My honest thoughts on why OEM does anything here is to keep the passenger compartment from letting in unwanted heat. Personally been using these for 3-4 months without issues in Arizona heat (it's hotter here already than most of the country gets in the summer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post

This is really neat, thank you for the information!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #482
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@VeloxEric: have you thought of extending those panels further front/back and to sides (judging purely from pic on this page), adding some air escape or directing ribs where needed (IF it panels gets extended), and changing material from aluminium to some lighter and cheaper unpainted plastics? Imho drag then will be further reduced, weight won't be more, cheaper to make (cheaper materials and minus painting costs) and cheaper to ship (less weight). Strength/durability will be compromised, but these are more for track car, not skid pans/sump guards for rallying, right, so maybe current strength is overkill? And due panels resting on underside of car, hits will be distributed to wide area anyway. And if set consisting of cheap plastic panels, one can easily buy replacement one to replace damaged.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #483
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Is anyone running the diffuser with a Q300? Can you please comment on whether spacers are required? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #484
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
Is anyone running the diffuser with a Q300? Can you please comment on whether spacers are required? Thanks!
pretty sure the q300 fits just fine
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
1Cor10:23 (04-26-2016), MisterSheep (04-26-2016), ModBargains.com (05-03-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #485
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
@VeloxEric: have you thought of extending those panels further front/back and to sides (judging purely from pic on this page), adding some air escape or directing ribs where needed (IF it panels gets extended), and changing material from aluminium to some lighter and cheaper unpainted plastics? Imho drag then will be further reduced, weight won't be more, cheaper to make (cheaper materials and minus painting costs) and cheaper to ship (less weight). Strength/durability will be compromised, but these are more for track car, not skid pans/sump guards for rallying, right, so maybe current strength is overkill? And due panels resting on underside of car, hits will be distributed to wide area anyway. And if set consisting of cheap plastic panels, one can easily buy replacement one to replace damaged.
We'll look into it, most plastics are obviously less rigid than the aluminum and we have to consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
It's on the website(s) that it fits, she fits .
Old 05-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #486
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Eric: less rigid - right. But purely for aero purposes? My thoughts on material choice started from looking on OEM underside plastic pieces, so just thought - "what if" and what might be cons/pros .. if one damages one of them, ordering $25-50 single replacement part from set, just as if oem underside one would be replaced, shouldn't be expensive and may offset less strength (&weight &price).
Imho another way = hybrid material choice. Alu - where some extra protection might be beneficial (above tranny/gear shaft/diff for example .. maybe above running hot exhaust too), plastics - elsewhere (flat car body underside areas). But then again - for track, not rally, so why protect at all even partially? For reducing air drag function only, in lighter and cheaper way. Just as OEM panels.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #487
kuya

Drives: 2013 white out fr-s
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
About to order the non aggressive diffuser, looked at the install video and notice they us the bottom sway bar bolt, any fitment issue with the usdm trd sway bars? I ask because I remember using a weird spacer bracket when installing the sways
Old 05-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #488
Norville Rogers
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What are they a solution to?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #489
G0K4RT

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just installed my diffuser and so far I'm really happy with it. The extra rigidity from the diffuser stopped my bumper/trunk from rattling on cold start. It also seems to have changed the tone of my exhaust, reducing the drone.

However, I am a little concerned about the fitment with the passenger side muffler on my nameless axle back. The diffuser is installed on the lowest setting and seemed to have about a 1/4" of clearance when I first installed it but after inspecting it two days later it appears to be touching. There are no rattles so I'm OK with how it sits but I am curious how the diffuser will handle the heat in the long run. Do you guys think I should stack up some more spacers to increase the gap or leave it as is?
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #490
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0K4RT View Post
I just installed my diffuser and so far I'm really happy with it. The extra rigidity from the diffuser stopped my bumper/trunk from rattling on cold start. It also seems to have changed the tone of my exhaust, reducing the drone.

However, I am a little concerned about the fitment with the passenger side muffler on my nameless axle back. The diffuser is installed on the lowest setting and seemed to have about a 1/4" of clearance when I first installed it but after inspecting it two days later it appears to be touching. There are no rattles so I'm OK with how it sits but I am curious how the diffuser will handle the heat in the long run. Do you guys think I should stack up some more spacers to increase the gap or leave it as is?
I would try to get a bit more gap there to ensure it doesn't rattle. The diffuser could eventually have some issues with the powder coat but the aluminum will handle the radiant heat fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuya View Post
About to order the non aggressive diffuser, looked at the install video and notice they us the bottom sway bar bolt, any fitment issue with the usdm trd sway bars? I ask because I remember using a weird spacer bracket when installing the sways
I don't see it having any issues with other swaybars, should still be able to install.

Closed Thread