follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #15
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Well - in some cases. Obviously not in ours.

We do have cruise control buttons though.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #16
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
We do have cruise control buttons though.

...and I still haven't learned to use mine. I've never had my BRZ on cruise control, lol.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #17
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Well - in some cases. Obviously not in ours.

Who knows. Every year our cars are adding more and more controls. Cruise control, radio, HVAC. I wouldn't mind a drink button myself.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
Hoahao

Drives: 2014 Monogram Hot Lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I echo the 'Learn by feel" comment. You can also use the paddles in sport mode if you want. Take your time.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #19
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Just curious. On the auto lets say you come out of a 2nd gear turn and then run through 2nd and part of 3rd and then come up to a braking zone, when you first lift does the tranny instantly upshift to 4th until you get on the brakes or when you lift will it hold 3rd and start engine braking? I guess if your in manual mode it would hold the gear and if your on track you're always going to be in manual mode. Sometimes on the streets when in auto mode you can run into scenarios where you want engine braking rather than an upshift upshift. For example you try to overtake someone on the interstate so you downshift while popping into the other lane but then find out the traffic is slowing in the other lane so you lift. I wouldn't want it to upshift when I lift, I would want it to hold the gear and start engine braking while I am moving my foot to the brake. How does the AT handle this when in auto mode? For me this is where AT has typically annoyed me the most. That sensation of lifting but the car just wanting to keep going forward gives it a disconnected feeling.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #20
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Just curious. On the auto lets say you come out of a 2nd gear turn and then run through 2nd and part of 3rd and then come up to a braking zone, when you first lift does the tranny instantly upshift to 4th until you get on the brakes or when you lift will it hold 3rd and start engine braking? I guess if your in manual mode it would hold the gear and if your on track you're always going to be in manual mode. Sometimes on the streets when in auto mode you can run into scenarios where you want engine braking rather than an upshift upshift. For example you try to overtake someone on the interstate so you downshift while popping into the other lane but then find out the traffic is slowing in the other lane so you lift. I wouldn't want it to upshift when I lift, I would want it to hold the gear and start engine braking while I am moving my foot to the brake. How does the AT handle this when in auto mode? For me this is where AT has typically annoyed me the most. That sensation of lifting but the car just wanting to keep going forward gives it a disconnected feeling.
When in Auto mode, the paddle shifters can be used to input up and down shifts. It will hold this override for an extended period of time.. somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds. The D indicator on the dash will change to gear number during this duration.

When in sport mode, the auto will try to hold the lowest gear it can without redlining.

So yes it will engine brake in between corners (in sportmode) as long as speed doesn't go above or below threshold of the gear.

Even for being an AT, the behavior was quite brilliantly programmed by Toyota.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #21
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Ignore any driver involvement remarks? Hahaha. So pushing buttons is just as involved as at a given speed and then pushing a clutch, blipping the throttle, shifting a gear, letting a clutch out? Keep telling yourself that.
You do know that "deciding what gear to downshift to" applies to the AT in manual as well, correct?

You never drove the AT, did you. It was very well done.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #22
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.box.design View Post
When in Auto mode, the paddle shifters can be used to input up and down shifts. It will hold this override for an extended period of time.. somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds. The D indicato.
Odd, my AT never decided to change gear on its own in manual, other than to downshift at low speed to aboid lugging. It would stay in whatever gear I selected until I shifted.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #23
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
technically one of "you" guys started it
I just mentioned it, the butthurt came form someone else. LOL at the clowns who sneer at and seem threatened by someone else who dares to have the same fun in an AT. I've driven and owned both, and I miss the AT for what it was. Odd that you never hear the AT crowd denigrate the MT crowd. Seems some MT drivers have something to prove!

Let the butthurt flow.

Last edited by PetrolioBenzina; 09-11-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #24
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
When in AT it will shift when determined by the TCU. So it might shift in the scenario or it might not. In SPORT mode it will hold gears (mostly) but even SPORT while in AT mode is not great for performance driving, mountain runs, etc. I usually use it on freeway trips where there are inclines and such to not put too much load on the engine if I feel lazy.

In MT mode it will engine brake since you control it. It only downshifts to avoid bogging in MT mode.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #25
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Drive one and tell us your thoughts.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #26
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Nowadays modern AT's are smart enough to hold gears as required during high G situations, most of them are programmed to 'learn' how the driver drives and adjust the gear changes accordingly. In the proper drive mode they hold gears...im not sure how long cuz I think it may think it needs to change after a certain amount of time though.

The ISF's 8 speed tranny i think was the first typical automatic transmission to succeed with such a characteristic. And being a Toyota product it eventually trickled down to the rest of the Toyota family (where applicable)

In any case the auto tranny in the twins is programmed really well. The most important thing IMO is actually the response time, not the shift time or the gear holding, and it really succeeds in this regard. I remember test driving an AT and flicking the paddles results in near instant response to gear changes. The car did need to be pushed to exhibit this as slower/cruising driving slowed the response and there would be a delay.

My X1 is the same way, the ZF 8 speed is pretty responsive. The only problem I have with it is that 8 speeds is too many for paddles. I actually don't find it all that much fun when I have to flick the paddle like 4 times to get into a gear I want...and even then I might get confused at what gear im in lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #27
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Odd, my AT never decided to change gear on its own in manual, other than to downshift at low speed to aboid lugging. It would stay in whatever gear I selected until I shifted.

The temporary override he was referring to is when using the paddles in D, not in manual. Using the paddles to shift while in D will shift on demand but only stay in that driver-selected gear for a short time before resuming normal automatic shifting.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-21-2018), FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-11-2018), m.box.design (09-12-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #28
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
The temporary override he was referring to is when using the paddles in D, not in manual. Using the paddles to shift while in D will shift on demand but only stay in that driver-selected gear for a short time before resuming normal automatic shifting.
Ahh, thanks. Missed the "D" part.