follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #71
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
They're pipes. One's made a by a bigger company in Oregon, the other by a small shop in Washington. I bought the one made in Washington cuz I like those guys more and I know their shit's race proven. They're fun as hell to talk to as well.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #72
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy83 View Post
Not going to flame you, after all you are entitled to your opinion. Just to let you know a bit about Nameless, one of their M.O. is Function over Form. Their Axleback is a great example of that. Remember, no company will make a product everyone will like. I LOVE the science and engineering thought put into the Nameless Axleback and it is EXACTLY what I wanted from an exhaust. There design was specifically and carefully engineered to keep the same note the car has, just enhance it. This is the only exhaust that has been designed with this exact purpose.
Hey I can understand that, but again I just can't wrap my head around the way it looks. We'll just agree to disagree on the subjective subject of asthetics. :happy0180:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Um, have you compared the welding between Nameless and Perrin?
No. I haven't seen a Nameless axleback in person yet. And although I do like to look at my car and parts of it, I'm not that OCD'd enough to look at it under a magnifying glass. YET!
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #73
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Hey I can understand that, but again I just can't wrap my head around the way it looks. We'll just agree to disagree on the subjective subject of asthetics. :happy0180:
For sure. That's why I started my post with "you are entitled to your opinion", and I add, I respect it.
:happy0180:

And BTW, I think BOTH products and companies are amazing, and can only say NO ONE will go wrong with either one of them.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #74
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I still don't understand nameless axelbacks difference with offset offset and the other one

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #75
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylub View Post
I still don't understand nameless axelbacks difference with offset offset and the other one
It changes the tone to remove a resonance sound. Thus the non-offset is going to be louder inside the car. Both will be likely the same volume outside the car.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #76
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylub View Post
Different placement of the resonator/muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
It changes the tone to remove a resonance sound. Thus the non-offset is going to be louder inside the car. Both will be likely the same volume outside the car.
Bassier with lower tones; it changes the sound moreso than quieting it down. Though, it's louder in the 4500+ RPM range but quieter in the 3000-4000 RPM range.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
ABQautoxer (10-27-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #77
Shinji2787

Drives: '85 AE86 Sprinter Trueno
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Different placement of the resonator/muffler.

Bassier with lower tones; it changes the sound moreso than quieting it down. Though, it's louder in the 4500+ RPM range but quieter in the 3000-4000 RPM range.
Hey so I've been searching around to try and figure out the differences between offset and non-offset nameless as well.. I take it by what you mentioned that the offset will be quieter in the 3k-4k range and louder 4.5k+ than the the non-offset. also that the offset will be bassier and have more rumble compared to the non-offset.

I think I've decided to go with nameless... just trying to figure out which of those options I should go with.. offset... hemholtz resonator... ugh.. it was hard enough trying to decide on a exhaust to go with now theres 5 billion options within each exhaust provider...
Shinji2787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #78
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I've had Perrin exhausts and Nameless exhausts. Both on STi's which were before my FRS's time... Prior cars. My Perrin exhaust was rusted out after 4 years in spots and had a weld break on a flex joint. My nameless exhaust after a year looked brand new once it was washed and sounded amazing... I go snow boarding every weekend 2-3 times as well as driving on the sandy oregon coast beach and it held up to abuse in rally X. I've talked to Jason at Nameless multiple times and Perrin. I like both companies but I prefer Nameless. I love the actual crunch time Nameless puts into their products as well as the trial and error that comes along with the learning stages they go through to perfect their product. They have awesome craftsmanship and spot on quality to match their excellent customer service. They are awesome guys to talk to.... have a beer with... and listen to their work... I've seen their shop first hand and watched them in their development stages. I have never met a nicer group of guys working on cars in a shop next to a home. I would gladly give them my hard earned money for their hard work they have put into their product. It isn't just some random pieces of metal slapped together. It's a true A+ exhaust with heart and mind put into it.

-Nick
P.S My FRS will have all Nameless exhaust components soon enough!

Last edited by NickFRS; 11-21-2012 at 01:09 PM.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickFRS For This Useful Post:
BAE (04-04-2013), kwood9000 (11-27-2012), Sportsguy83 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #79
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji2787 View Post
Hey so I've been searching around to try and figure out the differences between offset and non-offset nameless as well.. I take it by what you mentioned that the offset will be quieter in the 3k-4k range and louder 4.5k+ than the the non-offset. also that the offset will be bassier and have more rumble compared to the non-offset.

I think I've decided to go with nameless... just trying to figure out which of those options I should go with.. offset... hemholtz resonator... ugh.. it was hard enough trying to decide on a exhaust to go with now theres 5 billion options within each exhaust provider...
Don't sweat the offset or non-offset option. If you want your car as quiet as possible, go with offset/offset.

If you don't care much about loudness, go with non-offset. The difference between the two is not BIG. I personally wanted my car as quiet as possible so I went Offset/offset and Helmholtz resonator on the frontpipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (08-05-2014)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #80
Shinji2787

Drives: '85 AE86 Sprinter Trueno
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Don't sweat the offset or non-offset option. If you want your car as quiet as possible, go with offset/offset.

If you don't care much about loudness, go with non-offset. The difference between the two is not BIG. I personally wanted my car as quiet as possible so I went Offset/offset and Helmholtz resonator on the frontpipe.
Cool, I'm looking for more of an improvement in sound, and something to fill out the rear end since the stock tips are simply pathetic.

So not necessarily you can hear me from 5 miles away loud, but just nice sports car rumble good sound loud. Lady on the street freak in the bed type of deal .
Shinji2787 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinji2787 For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (11-22-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #81
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji2787 View Post
Cool, I'm looking for more of an improvement in sound, and something to fill out the rear end since the stock tips are simply pathetic.

So not necessarily you can hear me from 5 miles away loud, but just nice sports car rumble good sound loud. Lady on the street freak in the bed type of deal .
If I were you, I'd go offset.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #82
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
The bends in the Nameless exhaust have an explanation. It is designed this way to keep the same run the OEM exhaust had, among other things. .
This not desirable for everyone's build spec. Mines a dedicated track build I drive to the track. I prefer the low end torque and shorter length of my Perrin over a longer louder unresonated sound u get from dual cans. There are good reasons to consider both. If you wanna stay with stock engineering or is a single can.

Some may find dual cans off a single pipe to be less than stellar design. Go look at the prepared cars at the track. Once you decide if you're going FI or not you can better determine if a stock length setup with all those bends make sense for you.
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #83
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
This not desirable for everyone's build spec. Mines a dedicated track build I drive to the track. I prefer the low end torque and shorter length of my Perrin over a longer louder unresonated sound u get from dual cans. There are good reasons to consider both. If you wanna stay with stock engineering or is a single can.

Some may find dual cans off a single pipe to be less than stellar design. Go look at the prepared cars at the track. Once you decide if you're going FI or not you can better determine if a stock length setup with all those bends make sense for you.
Yep, for every different setup there is an "ideal" system.

Whatever goals people have with the car will also determine what direction to go. As long as you are not looking to go FI crazy and go over 350 whp, Nameless exhaust bends do not restrict anything. At that WHP, the restriciton is pipe diameter.

And of course, if your car is a track only FI monster, the choice is clearly straight through muffler delete, not Nameless or Perrin.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #84
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
I've had Perrin exhausts and Nameless exhausts. Both on STi's which were before my FRS's time... Prior cars. My Perrin exhaust was rusted out after 4 years in spots and had a weld break on a flex joint. My nameless exhaust after a year looked brand new once it was washed and sounded amazing... I go snow boarding every weekend 2-3 times as well as driving on the sandy oregon coast beach and it held up to abuse in rally X. I've talked to Jason at Nameless multiple times and Perrin. I like both companies but I prefer Nameless. I love the actual crunch time Nameless puts into their products as well as the trial and error that comes along with the learning stages they go through to perfect their product. They have awesome craftsmanship and spot on quality to match their excellent customer service. They are awesome guys to talk to.... have a beer with... and listen to their work... I've seen their shop first hand and watched them in their development stages. I have never met a nicer group of guys working on cars in a shop next to a home. I would gladly give them my hard earned money for their hard work they have put into their product. It isn't just some random pieces of metal slapped together. It's a true A+ exhaust with heart and mind put into it.

-Nick
P.S My FRS will have all Nameless exhaust components soon enough!
You scare me now. I was about to get perrin in two weeks but if it rusts now im worried
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote