follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
Michael
Lovin' the Low Life

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Air Cups

I am currently looking to add a set of air cups to my Fortune Auto coilovers and have sent an inquiry to Fortune Auto regarding their Air Piston Lift System for our platform. In their response, they basically stated that an updated universal system was being worked on, however, they had no ETA on it being ready. Hopefully the new 'universal system' is tested extensively on our platform despite another member's experience with their air cups. Now, I've browsed a couple of threads on air cups and read about the issues that a member had with Fortune Auto's Air Piston Lift System as it was prematurely made available when it was not fully compatible.

Now before anyone suggest getting air bags instead, I've gone down that route with AirLift's system and their 3H management. Personally, the system was too soft for my liking. I prefer a more rugged ride rather than something soft and "floaty". Yes, the convenience was great for shows to slam it when parked but it is not a necessity for me. I prefer a stiffer ride but would like the added convenience to clear some of the bigger speed tables, bumps and driveways that I sometimes encounter. Additionally, the ability to be able to still ride around in the case an air line leaks or the compressor goes out is a great benefit. That is where the air cups is superior to air bags, in my opinion.

With that said, I've read that one member was on a set of Exotic Air Cups but really didn't see any other brands mentioned other than Fortune Auto. I've looked at other brands such as StanceParts and Stance. The Stance air cups require their coilovers, which is understandable. StanceParts offers a set of air cups and the required hardware as long as I have the shaft and spring diameters to ensure correct sizing, which I have. I've looked up many reviews and watched various videos and the reviews have been favorable on these so far. When speaking to StanceParts, they stated that many users are running their air cups on Fortune Auto coilovers, but most were using them with BC Racing coilovers. I believe that is because they market/advertise their air cups with BC Racing coilovers on their website. Now what I am asking is if anyone has first-hand experience with this brand or knows someone that does? If not, that is fine and I am okay with giving their air cup products a test. I am looking for constructive feedback on this.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
adjusts

Drives: Raven Black Scion FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Air cups are great for driveways. Maintained superior ride quality.

Black (Raven) D4S Scion FRS (Sold)|| Black (CBP) FK8 Civic Type R || Black (BSM) F80 M3 Comp (Sold) || Black (Jet) E46 M3 || Laguna Seca Blue (LSB) E46 M3 (Sold) || Alpine White (AW) E92 M3 || Carrara White 997 GT3RS
adjusts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adjusts For This Useful Post:
Michael (03-11-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
adjusts

What coils are you on? I'm on BCs and im running the exotic air cups but have considered parting with it even though I just got it, only because I'll be moving soon and I won't need this to clear my driveway.

Black (Raven) D4S Scion FRS (Sold)|| Black (CBP) FK8 Civic Type R || Black (BSM) F80 M3 Comp (Sold) || Black (Jet) E46 M3 || Laguna Seca Blue (LSB) E46 M3 (Sold) || Alpine White (AW) E92 M3 || Carrara White 997 GT3RS
Old 03-09-2017, 01:50 AM   #4
adjusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I am currently looking to add a set of air cups to my Fortune Auto coilovers and have sent an inquiry to Fortune Auto regarding their Air Piston Lift System for our platform. In their response, they basically stated that an updated universal system was being worked on, however, they had no ETA on it being ready. Hopefully the new 'universal system' is tested extensively on our platform despite another member's experience with their air cups. Now, I've browsed a couple of threads on air cups and read about the issues that a member had with Fortune Auto's Air Piston Lift System as it was prematurely made available when it was not fully compatible.

Now before anyone suggest getting air bags instead, I've gone down that route with AirLift's system and their 3H management. Personally, the system was too soft for my liking. I prefer a more rugged ride rather than something soft and "floaty". Yes, the convenience was great for shows to slam it when parked but it is not a necessity for me. I prefer a stiffer ride but would like the added convenience to clear some of the bigger speed tables, bumps and driveways that I sometimes encounter. Additionally, the ability to be able to still ride around in the case an air line leaks or the compressor goes out is a great benefit. That is where the air cups is superior to air bags, in my opinion.

With that said, I've read that one member was on a set of Exotic Air Cups but really didn't see any other brands mentioned other than Fortune Auto. I've looked at other brands such as StanceParts and Stance. The Stance air cups require their coilovers, which is understandable. StanceParts offers a set of air cups and the required hardware as long as I have the shaft and spring diameters to ensure correct sizing, which I have. I've looked up many reviews and watched various videos and the reviews have been favorable on these so far. When speaking to StanceParts, they stated that many users are running their air cups on Fortune Auto coilovers, but most were using them with BC Racing coilovers. I believe that is because they market/advertise their air cups with BC Racing coilovers on their website. Now what I am asking is if anyone has first-hand experience with this brand or knows someone that does? If not, that is fine and I am okay with giving their air cup products a test. I am looking for constructive feedback on this.
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

Old 03-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have Stanceparts air cups with a very custom setup (still not revealed, cause #winterbuildsecrets), but PM me if you can't wait 3 weeks for the reveal
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
Michael
Lovin' the Low Life

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusts View Post
What coils are you on? I'm on BCs and im running the exotic air cups but have considered parting with it even though I just got it, only because I'll be moving soon and I won't need this to clear my driveway.
I am on Fortune Auto coilovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
I have Stanceparts air cups with a very custom setup (still not revealed, cause #winterbuildsecrets), but PM me if you can't wait 3 weeks for the reveal
I am currently looking at them since Fortune Auto will not have a compatible setup for our platform any time soon. I will send you a PM soon.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air cups, coilovers, fortune auto, stance, stanceparts