follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #43
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Subaru is one of a few automakers that does weirdest shiet. They refreshed WRX every 2 years in the GD generation, GR refreshed after 2 years with the last refresh last 3 years. I think we will see BRZ getting several nip and tuck before they release a new gen.
Unless Subaru and Toyota come to parting that's not going to be Subarus decision however.

Either way the reports BS anyhow so it doesent matter.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #44
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
There will be a second gen and it will probably have a 2.0 liter turbo. The problem is the second generation might not come till 2018 but hopefully 2017 model year...
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #45
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
There will be a second gen and it will probably have a 2.0 liter turbo. The problem is the second generation might not come till 2018 but hopefully 2017 model year...
Source? and good, by then I'll hopefully have a SC on mine.
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #46
B3yondL

Drives: s2k
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If they could shed some more weight, offer even better handling and 250 ish HP, while maintaining the low cost, this thing would become legend.

But say good bye to your 1st gen resale values hue.
B3yondL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #47
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
This is pure speculation but I think Subaru has the brand recognition to sell a FA20DIT BRZ without Toyota's branding. All the Toyota branding is doing is giving the consumer the warm and fuzzy feeling about lasting forever and not breaking down. Well that cats out of the bag.

Subaru IMHO could obviously sell the FA20DITT for less than the WRZ, that's just so obvious you aren't a car guy if you need an explaination. Obviously the FA20T will need a different turbo and tuning.

But the thing would be such a hit sales volumes would be there to put the Genisis and the 350Z on the shelf. Subaru is basically owned by Toyota, so if they want to cut them lose and still reap the profits they can.

As far as paratising sales from the WRX the two cars could be more different, they are made for completely different geographies.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #48
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Everyone keeps bringing up a turbo, but isn't the 2.5L more likely?

I wouldn't be surprised if the next brz was made a little more upscale and came with options like a sunroof, backup camera, and power seats. That would separate itself more from the base frs.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #49
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Everyone keeps bringing up a turbo, but isn't the 2.5L more likely?

I wouldn't be surprised if the next brz was made a little more upscale and came with options like a sunroof, backup camera, and power seats. That would separate itself more from the base frs.
With an industry-wide shift towards lower displacement, turbocharged engines, what makes you think that a higher displacement NA engine would be more likely?

Sunroof? Raises CoG, doesn't flow with roof contour. Doubtful.
Backup camera? Likely because of federal mandate.
Power seats? Extra weight, extra cost. Doubtful.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #50
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Turbo: extra weight.. extra cost.... Doubtful? Lol.
I don't expect to see either version of this car coming factory with a turbo. It's not the original intention. There's probably a signed agreement between toyota and subaru stating no FI models. Toyota knows subaru is famous for turbo, so why would they want the subaru model to trump their own. People will flock to the subaru version and toyotas idea of bringing a pure drivers sports car back to their line up is now null and void. Because all people seem to care about is a bloody turbo, if you dive the car right it is not underpowered. It seems a lot of people forget the cars purpose. And it's in the toyota name designation... 86!
I'm happy with my car being na. Sure is no rocket ship but in all actuality it's no turtle either. And I have a world of aftermarket available to me if I want to go faster!
I'm sure within a model year or two we will see trim levels and a face lift... But a new chassis generation will be several years if they decide to carry on producing these together.

"Ken Mortensen" -dude sick of Internet discussion about how the twins should have came turbo oem

There's an official quote for ya
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #51
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
There's probably a signed agreement between toyota and subaru stating no FI models.
This I'm sure is not true. Tada-san himself said they were testing possible FI variants:

Quote:
“There are several types of 86 prototypes at the Toyota proving ground now; one is a turbocharger, one is bigger displacement, and [the other is a] special hybrid system. All possibilities are being considered.”
That wouldn't make any sense if there was some agreement barring FI models.

But I also doubt there will be a turbo model. Tada-san is in love with the idea of lightning quick, instant throttle response, and that's something that turbos can't deliver. I think that's why he had been testing out a KERS-type hybrid, although I don't know how much weight, handling, and price would have been affected.

For now, I'm happy with the Twins as is. Lightweight and great driving dynamics. Whatever Toyota and/or Subaru end up doing, hopefully they don't screw up that part of it.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
frsvr4 (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #52
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
LOL, Toyota only owns 16% of Subaru. As has been noted numerous times by Tada himself, Toyota has little to no leverage to make Subaru do anything. Subaru originally said no to the FT86, and it wasn't until after Tada sent them a prototype that Subaru reconsidered and green lighted the project.

I think the BRZ will get a power bump at some point. Especially once sales drop and the competition gets stronger.

I would not rule out a turbo. Smaller, quick spooling, twin scroll, bottom mounted, you can get pretty instantaneous boost and a near FA feel.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #53
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
anything could happen, but i think it makes sense for Toyota and Subaru to stick together. for the most part they have done a good job with the twins, so imagine how much better a 2nd gen would be
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #54
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
This is pure speculation but I think Subaru has the brand recognition to sell a FA20DIT BRZ without Toyota's branding. All the Toyota branding is doing is giving the consumer the warm and fuzzy feeling about lasting forever and not breaking down. Well that cats out of the bag.

Subaru IMHO could obviously sell the FA20DITT for less than the WRZ, that's just so obvious you aren't a car guy if you need an explaination. Obviously the FA20T will need a different turbo and tuning.

But the thing would be such a hit sales volumes would be there to put the Genisis and the 350Z on the shelf. Subaru is basically owned by Toyota, so if they want to cut them lose and still reap the profits they can.

As far as paratising sales from the WRX the two cars could be more different, they are made for completely different geographies.
last time i check subaru was owned by Fuji Heavy Industry and not Toyota. Toyota just has its hands in the cookie jar.
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #55
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Just sold mine to a homeless dude. This mythical superawesome new car better show uo.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #56
Ammonia

Drives: Whiteout FRS, Audi A4, 135i (sold)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Subaru is basically owned by Toyota, so if they want to cut them lose and still reap the profits they can.

jbsali (10-10-2014)