follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #29
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
did anyone mention suspension in this thread? I didn't read every post word for word, the gist I got was about weight and aero. The aero, as mentioned will have a huge effect, weight will have some effect to of course. I'm just wondering why no one has talked about suspension design/ Toe and camber changes are some of the biggest causes of the unstable feeling in small cars that often have crap suspension designs.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #30
alluringreality

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
did anyone mention suspension in this thread?
I think corner weight in the following quote may partially relate to suspension. I'm guessing the suspension plays a part in how the weight of the vehicle is distributed across the four tires, which I figure would be called corner weight. Driving the Impreza in wind it sort of feels like the front tires lack much grip compared to the RWD vehicles I'm used to, yet I have rarely driven FWD or other AWD vehicles to say if it's normal. In the NASIOC Impreza thread there was a comment that a stiffer rear sway bar may help the car from needing so much correction, which I believe might alter front corner weight, but generally I'd rather sell the car than trying to fix it. The Camaro also has wider tires that were not chosen for fuel economy, so I figure that also comes into play compared to how the Impreza drives. It's been a few years since statics class, so I can't say how much of this is correct compared to what I read on the rear sway bar idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
The amount of slip angle generated is dependent on lateral center of pressure location and cornering stiffness (lateral force per degree of slip angle) which is a function of tire construction and corner weight.
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #31
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
my celica is 2500lbs and i never had a problem in gusting side winds because of the way the car is shaped, the 86 looks similar in shape, and is heavier, so i dont foresee and crosswind problems...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #32
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
my celica is 2500lbs and i never had a problem in gusting side winds because of the way the car is shaped, the 86 looks similar in shape, and is heavier, so i dont foresee and crosswind problems...
maybe a similar size but not really a similar shape. theres plenty of reasons why this would be an issue to someone and what is an issue to some might not be to others.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #33
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenkiElite View Post
My 91 Corolla is all over the place. It was stormy out the other day so it was very windy and raining. I was crossing the I75 bridge into Northern KY and the wind blew me compleatly in the middle lane from the slow lane. I never moved my steering wheel. Tires are shitty but not bald at all. Im just glad there was no one next to me.

I hit a pot hole once and my car changed lanes. I didn't move the steering wheel either bc the thought of actually controlling the vehicle and maintaining lane control is a foreign concept to me as well. Do they make cars with suspensions that can adjust for potholes with me needing to use my steering wheel?
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #34
Eldorian

Drives: 04 RX8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My 99 MX-5 used to get blown all over the place, but my 04 RX8 is very stable at high speeds.

Just an anecdote.
Eldorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #35
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Bumping a very old topic, but does anyone else notice how much this car gets blown around at highway speeds (when it's windy of course)?

Like the other member, I owned 3 7th gen Celica's that never had this issue. Maybe it's partially due to the soft sidewalls of the winter tires, maybe my camber/toe is off slightly, I'm not sure, although I felt the juking even with PSS tires and after a good alignment guy had me on the straight and arrow.

Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #36
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Bumping a very old topic, but does anyone else notice how much this car gets blown around at highway speeds (when it's windy of course)?

Like the other member, I owned 3 7th gen Celica's that never had this issue. Maybe it's partially due to the soft sidewalls of the winter tires, maybe my camber/toe is off slightly, I'm not sure, although I felt the juking even with PSS tires and after a good alignment guy had me on the straight and arrow.

Anyone else? Bueller? Bueller?
I have had zero issues with this car, especially compared to my tall outback. Handles wind like a champ, and we had one windy winter in Western WA. Even driving over bridges, I barely felt more than a little nudge.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #37
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
No, this car is great in the wind.

I think most people are actually feeling 'tracking' due to grooves/road wear. I thought there was crazy wind until I realized it was repeatable on the same stretch of road regardless of time or weather. Light weight and a very communicative steering makes it feel like the car is getting blown around.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #38
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
I bought a 2012 Impreza a couple months ago to replace a 1997 v6 Camaro. Driving 70-75 MPH with crosswinds over 25 MPH and gusts around 40 MPH my Impreza gets pushed around in high Kansas winds. A good gust can move the car across the road about a foot, and with stronger straight-line winds it was necessary to noticeably steer in and out of the wind at underpasses by turning the wheel up to maybe three inches. The dealer seems to think it's to be expected given the weather conditions, but except for farm or moving trucks I haven't driven anything that requires as much correction in high interstate winds as the Subaru.

Any opinions on how the BRZ may handle in high winds? The BRZ surely has a smaller profile than the 4th generation Camaro, but it's also at least 500 pounds lighter. I would guess the Camaro probably has the most weight per side area of the cars mentioned. On the other hand the BRZ has a lower center of gravity, and it's not all wheel drive like the Impreza. Based on weight probably the answer to this question is to buy a Dodge, or according to http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...t-wheel-drive/ I should buy front wheel drive, but most likely I would be cross-shopping either the base 2013 Genesis Coupe or maybe the v6 Mustang. Compared to those two cars, do you think the BRZ's light weight will prove worse for interstate travel?

Being more aerodynamic and lower to the ground, I don't think winds will affect it quite as much as on the Impreza. That said, it'll definitely have an effect of wanting to push you to the side, but I don't think you'll risk getting pushed hard enough to upset the balance.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #39
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Being more aerodynamic and lower to the ground, I don't think winds will affect it quite as much as on the Impreza. That said, it'll definitely have an effect of wanting to push you to the side, but I don't think you'll risk getting pushed hard enough to upset the balance.
Dude that post is nearly 2 years old and he hasn't logged in for more than a year...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #40
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Dude that post is nearly 2 years old and he hasn't logged in for more than a year...
I wasn't the one who bumped it up to the top. I didn't check the date.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #41
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I know that it's wind effect though, because once I pass by a semi the car gets that pushing feeling and immediately corrects once I've past by the truck.

Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible. I just feel like my previous cars were a little more planted at high speeds...I felt more confident. Lower speeds, NO doubt at all that it's so amazingly tactile.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #42
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Pretty offtopic I know, but you know what's scary? When you're cruising a two-lane highway in Wyoming in the winter during a snowstorm and realize that gusts of wind are literally pushing your car off the road sideways. Holy hell is that an unnerving feeling, crabbing along the highway because the wind and road camber are fighting to shit you into the ditch.

*Note: this was in an Outback, not the BRZ.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote