follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2015, 02:34 AM   #1
Bjeoen

Drives: None yet
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Looking for some help

Hi I'm looking to purchase a used frs off this forum and i've tried to use the search function but can't find the answers. My parents don't really know much about what i'm asking either so since it seems like i'm pretty bad at using the search function i'll straight up ask them here.

Some of these questions may seem basic, but i really have no clue of what i'm doing this will be the first car I've owned (currently drive parents car).

1. I should get the car checked out by a shop (third party) or something before purchasing right?

2. Is there a list of optimal things to do after buying the car? I mean like clear bra or something not mods.

3. How do mods affect warranty, the one i'm looking at doesn't seem to have anything too serious done to it like a turbo or supercharged.

4. Also how does dealership warranty or something work when i get it from another user from this forum?

I think that is it for now i really hope this isn't out of place.

Link for people to help me more accurately: I'm looking into this car http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95741 Is the fender liner crack a problem?

Last edited by Bjeoen; 10-13-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Bjeoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:48 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. If it is brand new and has a warranty and almost zero miles, so no. If it is used, a trusted mechanic is better than nothing. It is a pretty new car so most cars will be in good condition.

2. Nothing really other than basic maintenance, most people just do it for peace of mind or on a much older car.

3. Read up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

4. You need to transfer the warranty over. Not sure how that works.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 02:58 AM   #3
Bjeoen

Holy crap thanks for answering so fast, i'll read through the wiki later in the morning. It is going to be a used car though it is kind of far from where I live. So don't really have a trusted mechanic to go to unless i look one up. Which I guess i'll do.

Can i pm you the car i'm looking at right now? Theres something else i have a question about.

How do i give you a thank? I don't see a button.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:03 AM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Welcome, first off all of these cars that are for sale here are used. So getting that out of the way lets go down the list.
1. If you or your parents are not car savy, you should take it to a trustworthy car guy/mechanic. Now that also goes if the seller wants his car to be looked over by some dude. Usually if the car or the peer has nothing to hide they will give the ok.

2. That all depends on the condition of the car. Usually tires would be on the list to replace.
Second a tune up wouldn't hurt. Depending on the condition. A clear bra would be a good idea, but if it has chip dents already eh, it's your call.

3. Anything besides fluids, filers, and carb legal stuff will void the warranty. That chrome cold air intake, and that catless straight pipe will void it.

4. This comes full circle, depending on how "new" or how low miles you get it, the car might still be under warranty. Usually most of the cars for sale have gone beyond their factory warranty. Now if the owner bought the extended warranty it could be transferred. I would contact the dealership along with the current owner that the car is being sold and all warranties would be valid.

That being said you should first talk to your insurance company to see how much your going to get ass pounded. These cars are considered "high performance sport car."
So if it's still with in your budget go for it. If not you can find another cheaper (older) sports car.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 AM   #5
wireman957

Drives: 2015 FR-S MT Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, Bjeoen! First off, the site search function kinda sucks. You will be much better served by Google, using a search term starting with "site:ft86club.com" (no parentheses in your actual search), then blah, blah, whatever it is you're searching for. I don't know if I can answer all your questions accurately, but I can maybe get you started:

1) Absolutely! it would not be a bad idea to find a Scion (or Subaru if go with the BRZ) dealer with a reputable service department to look it over for you. It is not unusual for a seller to have modded the car and then restored it to stock before selling. A dealer can do a detailed diagnostic for you and should be able to tell you if the car has been well-cared-for or beaten half to death.
2) Clear bra is an excellent idea. Modern day paint isn't as strong as it was a few years ago. Good for you for not jumping right into other mods! Take some time to get to know your car before you try to transform it.
3) Many mods, especially ones not using OEM or TRD parts will void at least a portion of your warranty. A drop-in air filter like a K&N will not void your warranty and you will notice a difference over the OEM filter. Different high grade fluids should be fine, too, and can also make a noticable difference in the way your car runs. Lots of threads here along those lines.
4) This one I'm not a hundred percent sure on. I bought my car used from a (non-Scion) dealer and it is written in my contract that the original factory warranty is still in force up to the standard mileage.

Honestly, I don't think these questions were out of line at all. Most new guys come out immediately with questions about mods that will change the character of the car. Have fun with your new ride and spend some time looking around the forum. I don't think I've had a single question that wasn't answered somewhere around here!

Oh, and the "Thanks" button will show up (as if by magic) after you have 10 or so posts.
wireman957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireman957 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 03:12 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeoen View Post
Hi I'm looking to purchase a used frs off this forum and i've tried to use the search function but can't find the answers. My parents don't really know much about what i'm asking either so since it seems like i'm pretty bad at using the search function i'll straight up ask them here.

Some of these questions may seem basic, but i really have no clue of what i'm doing this will be the first car I've owned (currently drive parents car).

1. I should get the car checked out by a shop (third party) or something before purchasing right?

2. Is there a list of optimal things to do after buying the car? I mean like clear bra or something not mods.

3. How do mods affect warranty, the one i'm looking at doesn't seem to have anything too serious done to it like a turbo or supercharged.

4. Also how does dealership warranty or something work when i get it from another user from this forum?

1) Depends if it's certified pre-owned from a Toyota/Scion dealer itself you won't need it checked out because it'll have a warranty BUT ASK FOR THE CARFAX REGARDLESS
-OR-
If from an individual private party seller ask for it to be checked out at the nearest toyota/scion dealer and ASK FOR THE CARFAX TOO
I put those in caps because someone else on the forum a couple weeks ago complained about getting his dream 86 and finding out 2 years later it had a serious accident even though the Toyota dealer told him everything was fine and his value was crap.

2) Honestly first thing I did was re-badge because JDM BRO!
But honestly I think you're asking about longevity. If it's a 2013 or 2014 make sure its up to date on all it's TSBs:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

If it has oil leaking near the transmission area it needs a cam plate etc <- someone else can elaborate
Also a full tune up, differential, coolant, and transmission fluid change would be nice
A Clear bra could help to prevent future scratches but that's up to you, I don't have one because I have the realization I'm going to own this sports car for as long as possible because I love the heritage and it's going to get scratched no matter what. However I whenever I wash the car I clean and wax it meticulously because why wouldn't you? Also clay bar once a year I'm going to do the first one in a couple weeks before it sits in a garage for the winter while I'm back at school

3)As someone else said look up magnussen moss warranty act: but be forewarned each dealership is different and They MUST prove your mod caused the failure. Some people on here had asshole dealers when the car first came out that tried voiding the warranty over catback exhausts and such. So go to the regional forum and ask around for the best dealers if you plan from going that route.

4) For CPO warranties it's something like 7 years-however old the car is now from original manufacturer year:
http://www.scioncertified.com/warranty.html
" 7-year or 100,000-mile Scion Certified Limited Powertrain Warranty coverage begins on January 1st of the vehicle's model year and zero (0) odometer miles and expires at the earlier of seven years or 100,000 odometer miles."

As for transferring from another owner it depends if what they bought or paid for was transferable.

All in all, dude, don't get ripped off is the bottom line don't let the "honeymoon" or "infatuation" with this car make you do anything brash, because a lot of people on here have bought used ruined cars and then bitch and moan about the quality of the car after it's been in an accident they didn't know about or the previous owner neglected it.

Best of luck and make sure you ask us for any help too.

Edit:

If private party or CPO forgot to say ask what mods it may have, something like full LED swaps like I have are O.K. But if it has a header, or tune or off brand HID kit installed look deeper into who and how it was installed and where it was bought from. For something like a tune, you won't have access to edit it or anything without more money on an openflash tablet or ecutek license. If the person installed a header they also must've had a tune as well to be emissions.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 AM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello @Bjeoen and welcome to ...... the forum......

So, do I understand you correctly, that you are interested in buying a pre- owned FR-S from a person advertising on this forum .. ??

If so, you're buying it from a "private party".

May I ask, what "mods" (powertrain/exhaust) does it have .. ??

What year was it built; how many miles on it..??

Has it been tracked .. ??

Is it where you can go see/drive it .... ??

Come back. We can go from there .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:20 AM   #8
Bjeoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
That being said you should first talk to your insurance company to see how much your going to get ass pounded. These cars are considered "high performance sport car."
So if it's still with in your budget go for it. If not you can find another cheaper (older) sports car.
Luckily my parents will be helping me pay as my brother needs the car i'm currently driving (he is starting to learn how to drive soon). I will make sure to ask the seller a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello @Bjeoen and welcome to ...... the forum......

So, do I understand you correctly, that you are interested in buying a pre- owned FR-S from a person advertising on this forum .. ??

If so, you're buying it from a "private party".

May I ask, what "mods" (powertrain/exhaust) does it have .. ??

What year was it built; how many miles on it..??

Has it been tracked .. ??

Is it where you can go see/drive it .... ??

Come back. We can go from there .....

humfrz
Yeah, I wasn't sure if i'm able to post a classified link or not. If i am able to i'll edit the first post and link it.

Thanks everyone for the info everytime i refreshed the page another person replied haha.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:23 AM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Luckily my parents will be helping me pay as my brother needs the car i'm currently driving (he is starting to learn how to drive soon). I will make sure to ask the seller a few questions.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if i'm able to post a classified link or not. If i am able to i'll edit the first post and link it.

Thanks everyone for the info everytime i refreshed the page another person replied haha.

You're new on the forum so a lot of stuff is locked for awhile . Make sure you're email is activated and everything though. Also feel free to post links into the first post it'll work fine
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 10-13-2015, 03:23 AM   #10
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Holy crap thanks for answering so fast, i'll read through the wiki later in the morning. It is going to be a used car though it is kind of far from where I live. So don't really have a trusted mechanic to go to unless i look one up. Which I guess i'll do.

Can i pm you the car i'm looking at right now? Theres something else i have a question about.

How do i give you a thank? I don't see a button.
Far is relative. I've driven 150+ miles and 2-3 hours to look at cars.
You don't get a thank button until 10posts.
Pm away.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:27 AM   #11
Bjeoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You're new on the forum so a lot of stuff is locked for awhile . Make sure you're email is activated and everything though. Also feel free to post links into the first post it'll work fine
Alright sounds good thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Far is relative. I've driven 150+ miles and 2-3 hours to look at cars.
You don't get a thank button until 10posts.
Pm away.
Far is about 500~ish miles away, i'm actually just going to edit it into the first post with my concern.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:32 AM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Alright sounds good thanks!

Far is about 500~ish miles away, i'm actually just going to edit it into the first post with my concern.

Yea, don't worry about pming people, just edit the first post with the prospects.

Also some questions:
1)Are you a young car guy?
2)Are you knowledgeable about the twins?
3)What other cars are you looking at and are you set on the twins?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:37 AM   #13
Bjeoen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Yea, don't worry about pming people, just edit the first post with the prospects.

Also some questions:
1)Are you a young car guy?
2)Are you knowledgeable about the twins?
3)What other cars are you looking at and are you set on the twins?
1. Honestly no, my friend is i just love the look of the car
2. nope
3. I was looking at the evo originally but this has better mileage and is cheaper lol. Evo is the car i had my heart set on originally. Though i'm not really sure how the frs handles 4 people in it, it seems like the better choice. (won't be driving 4 people that much usually just me as daily driver)
Old 10-13-2015, 03:43 AM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
1. Honestly no, my friend is i just love the look of the car
2. nope
3. I was looking at the evo originally but this has better mileage and is cheaper lol. Evo is the car i had my heart set on originally. Though i'm not really sure how the frs handles 4 people in it, it seems like the better choice. (won't be driving 4 people that much usually just me as daily driver)

Well you just edited the first post, and based the answer to these questions that car is not the right choice for you. You won't be able to wrench on the car itself and you don't know enough about cars to know what mods @SDGT86 did or how they help the car, even though he's a trustworthy owner to buy from. Also $27K for a first car?!? If you can't maintain the modded car yourself at that price you might as well get a base manual FR-S with a full 7 year warranty, and if that is even your budget get a newer FR-S in the first place don't even look at the used car market!