follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
RedRez86

Drives: Red Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flowmaster 80 series muffler review!!

So I had flow master muffler installed about a week ago. I have VDS overpipe, VDS front pipe, gutted my cat in the header and put in a resonator where the mid pipe used to be along with the 2.5 inch custom piping back to the Flowmaster 80 series muffler. Results? She sounds mean, aggressive purrs like a kitten pops a bit and NO DRONE at any RPM. I read a lot of negative things about Flowmaster but I believe the resonator I added in was key for this sound and taking off the drone. I can’t wait to hear how it sounds with the VDS headers I will be ordering with in the next month or 2! It is not obnoxiously loud to where you can’t hold a conversation in the cabin nor will you wake the neighbors with this kind of setup. When you step on the gas though she sounds exactly how you would like it to. It’s the best of both worlds and I would highly recommend Flowmaster exhaust with a resonator. If you are going with full exhaust as I am. I will upload sound clips soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedRez86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
sounds like a good setup. Just curious when you say you placed a resonator in the midpipe since the stock midpipe already has a resonator
Old 11-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRez86 View Post
So I had flow master muffler installed about a week ago. I have VDS overpipe, VDS front pipe, gutted my cat in the header and put in a resonator where the mid pipe used to be along with the 2.5 inch custom piping back to the Flowmaster 80 series muffler. Results? She sounds mean, aggressive purrs like a kitten pops a bit and NO DRONE at any RPM. I read a lot of negative things about Flowmaster but I believe the resonator I added in was key for this sound and taking off the drone. I can’t wait to hear how it sounds with the VDS headers I will be ordering with in the next month or 2! It is not obnoxiously loud to where you can’t hold a conversation in the cabin nor will you wake the neighbors with this kind of setup. When you step on the gas though she sounds exactly how you would like it to. It’s the best of both worlds and I would highly recommend Flowmaster exhaust with a resonator. If you are going with full exhaust as I am. I will upload sound clips soon!

Need sound clips bro. Good review.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
RedRez86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
sounds like a good setup. Just curious when you say you placed a resonator in the midpipe since the stock midpipe already has a resonator

So what we noticed was that one side was slightly larger than the other side on each side of the resonator. We cut on the side of thicker piping and put in a resonator half the size (and lighter) than the original and went custome 2.5 from the resonators back. The whole job with resonator and muffler cost me 500 dollars fellas. This is a much cheaper and better sounding option than buying Cathay plus install and still not having the sound we want! So I highly recommend this route for guys who want to budget their exhaust! Also I might add VDS parts can be found on Facebook. They are in Philippines but parts are cheap and quality! Headers they quoted me around 400-450 and they sound SICK! I can’t stress enough how satisfied I am with everything.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
RedRez86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
Need sound clips bro. Good review.

Will be coming later tonight latest tomorrow!

The Following User Says Thank You to RedRez86 For This Useful Post:
Joveen (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
FYI

I bought the cat back from them and found the drone VERY bad at cruising speeds (60 to 75). I cut the Flow master and the stock with the resonator and welded them together. It helped a great deal but still have a drone on the interstate. It is inexpensive by comparisons but would not use them again.
I talked to someone in their tech lab and the response was, we used an existing muffler to get to market and we are called American Thunder.

OK Whatever

Perhaps they have changed the muffler in the last five years???

Last edited by ls1ac; 11-02-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
RedRez86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
FYI

I bought the cat back from them and found the drone VERY bad at cruising speeds (60 to 75). I cut the Flow master and the stock with the resonator and welded them together. It helped a great deal but still have a drone on the interstate. It is inexpensive by comparisons but would not use them again.
I talked to someone in their tech lab and the response was, we used an existing muffler to get to market and we are called American Thunder.

OK Whatever

Perhaps they have changed the muffler in the last five years???

Hmmm, maybe they have made slight modifications? I am not sure! Like I said I have a front pipe with VDS (has small resonator) and then put Flowmaster resonator where stock midpipe was and literally zero drone brother. It sounds beautiful.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The american thunder catback systems use an 80 series muffler. They have recycled and reused the same casing designs for years.

I am surprised at the claim of "no drone." That's typically not a characteristic of flowmaster.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
RedRez86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
The american thunder catback systems use an 80 series muffler. They have recycled and reused the same casing designs for years.

I am surprised at the claim of "no drone." That's typically not a characteristic of flowmaster.

I don’t know what to tell you guys other than the secret recipe I used to piece it all together lol. I think it’s the 2 resonators honestly and maybe even the VDS piping combination that goes nicely with it? I will let you guys be the judge and post video clips later. Personally I am very satisfied with the sound!

Old 11-02-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
What's the diameter on the VDS exhaust? If its 3" I'll cop it.

Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
RedRez86

It’s only 2.5 inch boss they do not sell 3” piping :/
Although I’ve been told it does not make much difference in our car having 2.5 rather than 3 inch unless you’re going for over 400 hp. I know a guy who runs 350 give or take off 2.5 piping. Sounds and rides nice but it’s you’re car!

Old 11-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Any under car photos so we can see the resonator setup?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:19 PM   #13
RedRez86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Any under car photos so we can see the resonator setup?

I should have thought about all these things before he took it down from the list! I’m at work I will do my best to take some photos and record a sound clip

Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #14
RedRez86

Okay guys here is a 3 minute sound clip of in the cabin with windows up. You can hold a conversation and drive with cruising at 50 to 70 it gets very quiet with great deep tone. At the end of video I roll window down and rev up to 4K couple times then a couple revs all the way up to redline. Let me know what you think or if you need more!