follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Chroniverous

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation IMPORTANT - BUZZING FROM DASH

Good morning ya'll.

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that's thinking about bringing in your car for a vibration sound under warranty.

The vibration sound definitely sounded like it was coming from behind the steering wheel or just below. I figured out that it was actually coming from the gas pedal because the vibration would only appear when you release the gas pedal, or were using cruise control. The sound would disappear when you place your foot on the pedal.

So before you have them rip apart your entire dashboard looking for the sound, read this!

It is in fact the gas pedal assembly. Not the way its mounted to the firewall but the spring/lever assembly at the top of the pedal where it pivots.

The pedal itself needs to be taken apart and basically rebuilt/ lubed and the parts need to be lined up before putting it back together.

The local Toyota dealership tore the whole dash apart on mine... even after I told them where it was coming from. I should have just fixed it myself but I guess that's what I get for putting trust in a dealership.

This was on a 2017 Toyota 86 Manual.
Chroniverous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chroniverous For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't even care about odd sounds in this car anymore... engine, tranny, rear deck, front dash, fuel pump, diff... this car always makes weird sounds
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Chroniverous

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
I don't even care about odd sounds in this car anymore... engine, tranny, rear deck, front dash, fuel pump, diff... this car always makes weird sounds

Yeah, that's what Toyota was saying as well last time I went in BUT... You pay $27,000 + for a brand new car with no kilometers on it, I would expect that there are no rattles.

If these items don't get addressed through Toyota America/Canada then they wont get fixed/recognized and the build quality turns to shit on future models. I don't disagree with you though, they do make weird sounds.

I heard a sound the other day, made it only once in the whole time I have driven it... hasn't made it since. Frustrating.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroniverous View Post
Yeah, that's what Toyota was saying as well last time I went in BUT... You pay $27,000 + for a brand new car with no kilometers on it, I would expect that there are no rattles.

If these items don't get addressed through Toyota America/Canada then they wont get fixed/recognized and the build quality turns to shit on future models. I don't disagree with you though, they do make weird sounds.

I heard a sound the other day, made it only once in the whole time I have driven it... hasn't made it since. Frustrating.
Your issue was an actual build quality issue. But for most it's not the case.

You have to make some concessions. It's a light car that has a lot of sound deadening purposely removed for that reason and you're going to hear things you wouldn't hear on another $26000+ car. Especially when people add exhausts and other mods that cause vibrations and add other other frequencies to the car.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
HKz (07-27-2018), spike021 (07-28-2018), Tristor (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Chroniverous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Your issue was an actual build quality issue. But for most it's not the case.

You have to make some concessions. It's a light car that has a lot of sound deadening purposely removed for that reason and you're going to hear things you wouldn't hear on another $26000+ car. Especially when people add exhausts and other mods that cause vibrations and add other other frequencies to the car.

They are meant to be what they are, light weight budget sports car... but they still shouldn't be vibrating from the factory. If you don't have these expectations of Toyota then they wont fix the issues. Ive read on this forum many others with vibrating issues regarding the pedal but only 1 solution that wasn't confirmed. I'm simply confirming that this is an issue and to get it taken care of if its bothering you. A friend who bought a BRZ around the same time as I had the same issue, we disassembled his pedal and fixed it ourselves after Toyota had ripped apart mine.

This is a common issue enough that it should warrant a TSB.

All i'm asking is to be careful before taking it to a dealership and having them rip apart your interior. This is a solution to a vibration problem that needs to be addressed by Toyota
Old 07-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
What people dont realise most of the time is how many sounds other cars make as well, but that you dont hear because of all of the sound deadening most cars have. This cars are particularly noiser than most I have driven, but you hear everything that makes any kind of sound, while in most other cars you dont hear anything short of a wheel falling off, and even then.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-27-2018), spike021 (07-28-2018), Tcoat (07-27-2018), Tristor (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
Chroniverous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
What people dont realise most of the time is how many sounds other cars make as well, but that you dont hear because of all of the sound deadening most cars have. This cars are particularly noiser than most I have driven, but you hear everything that makes any kind of sound, while in most other cars you dont hear anything short of a wheel falling off, and even then.

Haha, very true! I've learned not to drive with the rear seats folded down or I'd lose my mind.

There is definitely a difference between road noise and lack of sound deadening, but the sound I was hearing from the pedal was the most annoying thing ever. It sounded like bumble bees fighting over a flower between 2 sheets of paper.

Last edited by Chroniverous; 07-27-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Tcoat (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
They are meant to be what they are, light weight budget sports car... but they still shouldn't be vibrating from the factory. If you don't have these expectations of Toyota then they wont fix the issues. Ive read on this forum many others with vibrating issues regarding the pedal but only 1 solution that wasn't confirmed. I'm simply confirming that this is an issue and to get it taken care of if its bothering you. A friend who bought a BRZ around the same time as I had the same issue, we disassembled his pedal and fixed it ourselves after Toyota had ripped apart mine.

This is a common issue enough that it should warrant a TSB.

All i'm asking is to be careful before taking it to a dealership and having them rip apart your interior. This is a solution to a vibration problem that needs to be addressed by Toyota
This was the solution to your particular vibration. There are many different places that people had noise from. Some were indeed in the dash. Don't know that there have been many reports of noisy pedals.

Oh and $27K for a new car is well below the average of $34K. If you want Lexus fit and finish you need to buy a Lexus.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-27-2018), HKz (07-27-2018), Qadthane (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Chroniverous

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This was the solution to your particular vibration. There are many different places that people had noise from. Some were indeed in the dash. Don't know that there have been many reports of noisy pedals.

Oh and $27K for a new car is well below the average of $34K. If you want Lexus fit and finish you need to buy a Lexus.

You know what, your absolutely right. Mods should just delete this post because we should all just live with the rattles. And to anyone else that has rattles coming from your pedal, don't worry about it. Because after all... you didn't buy a Lexus, so its acceptable for your car to rattle from the factory.

Sorry for posting a rattle/buzzing issue in the TSB/Issues subforum.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
You know what, your absolutely right. Im gonna delete this post because we should all just live with the rattles. And to anyone else that has rattles coming from your pedal, don't worry about it. Because after all... you didn't buy a Lexus, so its acceptable for your car to rattle from the factory.

Sorry for posting a rattle/buzzing issue in the TSB/Issues subforum.
I was simply pointing out that you are indicating that THIS is THE rattle. There are many possible spots. Fix 'em as you find 'em or don't get all bent outta' shape. It is an inexpensive sport scar and it will make odd sounds. You think it makes noises now just wait until you hit 100K miles. I now worry if a rattle stops!
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
Chroniverous

Quote:
I was simply pointing out that you are indicating that THIS is THE rattle. There are many possible spots. Fix 'em as you find 'em or don't get all bent outta' shape. It is an inexpensive sport scar and it will make odd sounds. You think it makes noises now just wait until you hit 100K miles. I now worry if a rattle stops!

Im not bent out of shape :p, im just saying that it seems the general consensus is to just live with the rattles. If your car is under warranty, you should let a dealership or Toyota Corporate know so that they can be aware and not make the same mistakes in the future. A lot of the fixes I have seen are simple and could be easily repaired/prevented.

If your not under warranty, by all means sort it out yourself. The purpose of this thread after all was to address that the pedal does in fact make noise and if someone finds it useful then I'm glad.

No offense to you I hope, I should have put a /s in there to denote sarcasm :o
Tcoat (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Im not bent out of shape :p, im just saying that it seems the general consensus is to just live with the rattles. If your car is under warranty, you should let a dealership or Toyota Corporate know so that they can be aware and not make the same mistakes in the future. A lot of the fixes I have seen are simple and could be easily repaired/prevented.

If your not under warranty, by all means sort it out yourself. The purpose of this thread after all was to address that the pedal does in fact make noise and if someone finds it useful then I'm glad.

No offense to you I hope, I should have put a /s in there to denote sarcasm :o
All's good.
Every six months or so I have to slap the crap out of my passenger A pillar to stop the airbag wires from rattling around but I wouldn't bother having it taken apart.
I will confess that many of my cars were from the 50s or 60s and there is not a noise a modern car can make that competes with the rattle of an all steel, unpadded dash and door pans so I may not be as sensitive to rattles as some are.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
Chroniverous

Quote:
All's good.
Every six months or so I have to slap the crap out of my passenger A pillar to stop the airbag wires from rattling around but I wouldn't bother having it taken apart.
I will confess that many of my cars were from the 50s or 60s and there is not a noise a modern car can make that competes with the rattle of an all steel, unpadded dash and door pans so I may not be as sensitive to rattles as some are.

My oldest vehicle I just sold was a 78 GMC 1500 Shortbox single cab. I know the pain haha. That thing rattled like a mofo. Maybe not as bad as the even older vehicles you've had but that I could live with, as its a 40 year old vehicle.

On the topic of issues, have you had any problems with Bluetooth cutting out for a split second then returning like nothing happened? I don't know what model you have
Old 07-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
My oldest vehicle I just sold was a 78 GMC 1500 Shortbox single cab. I know the pain haha. That thing rattled like a mofo. Maybe not as bad as the even older vehicles you've had but that I could live with, as its a 40 year old vehicle.

On the topic of issues, have you had any problems with Bluetooth cutting out for a split second then returning like nothing happened? I don't know what model you have
I have the 14 FRS with the second HU. Never had a single issue with the Bluetooth. I am not convinced that the later HUs were better since many do seem to have weird one off issues with them.