follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Alcohol Fuel Producer's Permit

Considering our cars love the corn juice, I have thought about the possibility of making your own eXX blend of fuel for less than what the pumps charge, or for people who can't easily get e85. Does anyone in here make their own fuel? There is no tax on it so it can reasonably made for less than half the cost with a better known gas/ethanol mix.

Here is a copy of the application.

Here is the government's FAQ.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Are you sure it doesn't cost less to just buy corn juice from the pump for 3 bucks a gallon? Last I checked you'd have to pay like 30 bucks if you want 1 gallon of Vitali (I hope alcohol doesn't have a 500% tax..)
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Alcohol Fuel doesn't have any tax and the license is free. There is a $.15 credit for every gallon sold here in NY. Decent incentive if you can make it for $1/gallon and the kit only costs a few hundred to put together.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have considered it but even here in Kentucky, or should I say especially in Kentucky, the regulations are pretty strict. They require that the distillation site be in a separate building disconnected from residences. They inspect the building and require that any fuel you make is denatured.

Given the chance, I could go crazy with a still. Finding a feedstock would be pretty easy here. Ethanol plants have strict requirements on feedstock so I could just buy the sub-par corn. Probably wouldn't be too hard to get a small grain silo for cheep too. With the long distance for commutes to anything here, it would be worth the time and expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote