follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
ACE Headers
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
welllam
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: STi
Location: Hang Zhou
Posts: 62
Thanks: 9
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Regarding the installation of the vortech kit, I felt your pain.

Pain 1: the freaking windshield reservoir. After installing everything, I poured the windshield cleaning fluid back (luckily not after putting together the bumper), and found the leak. After trying 4-5 times flipping the rubber seal around, pushing it to the max or pulling it, and it still leaked. In the end I used sealant to get the job then. Then I filled it up again, and later found out the neck was also leaking..... I needed to do the same thing again and sealed everything up.

Pain 2: Tube C (the MAF sensor tube)
Interestingly, my tube B has very good clearance. Not all kit alike? Tube C was knocking the frame and the headlight all the time. I think the ECU was detecting the knocking of tube C to the frame as knock, and I saw some knock correction at some very random and low rev place. So I needed to undo the bumper and headlight to adjust the tube C. Also, according to the instruction, the headlight power clip putting aside move was for FRS only, but it was apparently needed for BRZ. After numerous trial the tube still touched the frame so I made some adjustment by using another hose clamps at tube C and zip tied it to a hole next to the coolant reservoir cap.


Pain 3: The bumper does not fit back well. There are big gaps around the edges of headlights.
Need to check why, might be the intercooler was not adjusted correct, but does yours fit perfectly?

In the end it took me 20 work hrs and like 40 man hours to get it done. I think if there is second installation it can be down to 8-10 hours.

I believe the instruction was OK (of course it can be improved), because I am a noob and most of the things are understandable. For those that I do not understand, i will play the spot the difference game and try to match the location vs the pictures.



Oil cooler seems like a must, because today i was at the track and after 3 mins the oil temp went up to 125c. I was using 0w20 and this was one of the issue. 5w-40 should handle ok in short run like 5-6 mins, but for longer run oil cooler is a must. Your set up seems workable, however I concern I have will be the 3 layers of radiator. After each layer there should be a big drop in terms of receiving cool air... How is your setup performing?
welllam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #44
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams
 
draggin_az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 585
Thanks: 377
Thanked 287 Times in 147 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
I installed mine with basic hand tools and in my aunts driveway (I was on vacation). it took me 12-13 hours. it's a pain in the ass but it can be done and at the cost of a sore back for the next 3 days.

would I pay someone if I had to do it again......I honestly donno. I think if I had a lift and a second set of hands, I would install it again. nothing is overly hard (if you can solder). it's just a lot of little things.

the instructions are a good guideline but they need some refining. if you have common sense, you'll make it through the install.
__________________
v3 -> v2 Vortech SC / 2.87 pulley
Fuel pump, FIC 770 injectors, custom header back, perrin resonated CBE
277hp 93 octane
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to draggin_az For This Useful Post:
Joeprelude (11-23-2014)
Old 07-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #45
DJCarbine
Thupercharged
 
DJCarbine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: La Grange Park, IL.
Posts: 1,488
Thanks: 116
Thanked 740 Times in 431 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
the instructions are a good guideline but they need some refining. if you have common sense, you'll make it through the install.
I've seen a lot of instructions for aftermarket parts, and they usually are just guidelines.

Thats if you even get instructions....
__________________
2013 FRS
Vortech V3 3.125" pulley
Revworks UEL - PLM Overpipe - MOTIV catted frontpipe - Invidia Q300
Raceseng CasCam, Eibach Sportlines, 25mm/19mm front/rear sway, Whiteline endlinks
2005 Saabaru - Blouch TD05-16GXT @ 20psi
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
draggin_az (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #46
chate
Pharmasaurus Magnificus
 
chate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Orange County,CA
Posts: 575
Thanks: 32
Thanked 121 Times in 65 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Thank you sir, you've done a great service to the community
__________________
2013 FRS 6MT (Delivered 5/12/12 - 1st86!)
AEM CAI / Magnaflow Catback / OFT / OFH / e85

2015 Nissan GTR
chate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #47
skatery1989
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: BRZ Limited
Location: Colorado
Posts: 193
Thanks: 53
Thanked 173 Times in 63 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You guys should have tried installing it with the first set of instruction.
skatery1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #48
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 516
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by welllam View Post
Regarding the installation of the vortech kit, I felt your pain.

Pain 1: the freaking windshield reservoir. After installing everything, I poured the windshield cleaning fluid back (luckily not after putting together the bumper), and found the leak. After trying 4-5 times flipping the rubber seal around, pushing it to the max or pulling it, and it still leaked. In the end I used sealant to get the job then. Then I filled it up again, and later found out the neck was also leaking..... I needed to do the same thing again and sealed everything up.

Pain 2: Tube C (the MAF sensor tube)
Interestingly, my tube B has very good clearance. Not all kit alike? Tube C was knocking the frame and the headlight all the time. I think the ECU was detecting the knocking of tube C to the frame as knock, and I saw some knock correction at some very random and low rev place. So I needed to undo the bumper and headlight to adjust the tube C. Also, according to the instruction, the headlight power clip putting aside move was for FRS only, but it was apparently needed for BRZ. After numerous trial the tube still touched the frame so I made some adjustment by using another hose clamps at tube C and zip tied it to a hole next to the coolant reservoir cap.


Pain 3: The bumper does not fit back well. There are big gaps around the edges of headlights.
Need to check why, might be the intercooler was not adjusted correct, but does yours fit perfectly?

In the end it took me 20 work hrs and like 40 man hours to get it done. I think if there is second installation it can be down to 8-10 hours.

I believe the instruction was OK (of course it can be improved), because I am a noob and most of the things are understandable. For those that I do not understand, i will play the spot the difference game and try to match the location vs the pictures.



Oil cooler seems like a must, because today i was at the track and after 3 mins the oil temp went up to 125c. I was using 0w20 and this was one of the issue. 5w-40 should handle ok in short run like 5-6 mins, but for longer run oil cooler is a must. Your set up seems workable, however I concern I have will be the 3 layers of radiator. After each layer there should be a big drop in terms of receiving cool air... How is your setup performing?
So far all my temps are solid IAT is virtually indentical before and after oil cooler. I have low RPM knock detection, did yours go away after you fixed your pipes?

Mine leaks from the top tube (washer fluid if you fill it passed the metal filler neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
I installed mine with basic hand tools and in my aunts driveway (I was on vacation). it took me 12-13 hours. it's a pain in the ass but it can be done and at the cost of a sore back for the next 3 days.

would I pay someone if I had to do it again......I honestly donno. I think if I had a lift and a second set of hands, I would install it again. nothing is overly hard (if you can solder). it's just a lot of little things.

the instructions are a good guideline but they need some refining. if you have common sense, you'll make it through the install.
Yeah you can get through it for sure, shocked you did it like you did, how bad was your back?
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #49
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 516
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chate View Post
Thank you sir, you've done a great service to the community
Thanks a bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatery1989 View Post
You guys should have tried installing it with the first set of instruction.
I had the second and 3rd revisions how bad were the first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
I've seen a lot of instructions for aftermarket parts, and they usually are just guidelines.

Thats if you even get instructions....
I dont get that at all. I would never design a product sell it without documentation.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #50
regal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Location: PA
Posts: 1,438
Thanks: 21
Thanked 316 Times in 232 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post

I dont get that at all. I would never design a product sell it without documentation.
If they hired a technical writer would it have increased sales? They are probably still in the red with these. I doubt many have been sold. With the ecutek/tuning requirements it is an expensive piece not affordable to many.
__________________
2013 FRS Argento Silver 6MT

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #51
Pete
Senior Member
 
Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 423
Thanks: 684
Thanked 246 Times in 131 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Dezoris That was an EPIC review man great job! I am sorry you had so many bad experiences with the kit, I am now very glad I had mine installed by a technician at Phastek. I am a novice mechanic if I am being generous, and I felt a lot more comfortable leaving something so important to a pro.

Thanks for the hard work, the video looks and sounds great.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _________
Vortech S/C, Perrin Tune, Borla UEL Header, Perrin headerback, Enkei RPF1 17x9 +45, Michelin PSS @ 245.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #52
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 516
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
If they hired a technical writer would it have increased sales? They are probably still in the red with these. I doubt many have been sold. With the ecutek/tuning requirements it is an expensive piece not affordable to many.
They could easily contract that out to someone for new documentation, and review.

I don't think it would increase sales but help prevent losing sales in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
@Dezoris That was an EPIC review man great job! I am sorry you had so many bad experiences with the kit, I am now very glad I had mine installed by a technician at Phastek. I am a novice mechanic if I am being generous, and I felt a lot more comfortable leaving something so important to a pro.

Thanks for the hard work, the video looks and sounds great.
Yeah that was smart and Phastek already had experience too. It probably made the process more fun too.
I actually spent a lot of time on in car audio, the driving part and dynos used three mics placed at different areas of the car to capture the sound as accurately as possible.


Thanks!
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #53
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams
 
draggin_az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 585
Thanks: 377
Thanked 287 Times in 147 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post

Yeah you can get through it for sure, shocked you did it like you did, how bad was your back?
I was on leave visiting family in Indiana non of which has a garage. Like I said, no part of the install was overly hard. A second set of hands would have been nice when bolting up the intercooler but its not impossible to do it all by yourself.

My back felt like busted ass and was sore for the next 3 days. You really dont realize how low our cars are until you're bent over the engine bay for a long period of time.
__________________
v3 -> v2 Vortech SC / 2.87 pulley
Fuel pump, FIC 770 injectors, custom header back, perrin resonated CBE
277hp 93 octane
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #54
F1point4
Photo Specialist
 
F1point4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 DGM 6MT
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,152
Thanks: 587
Thanked 1,712 Times in 418 Posts
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
@Dezoris That was an EPIC review man great job! I am sorry you had so many bad experiences with the kit, I am now very glad I had mine installed by a technician at Phastek. I am a novice mechanic if I am being generous, and I felt a lot more comfortable leaving something so important to a pro.

Thanks for the hard work, the video looks and sounds great.
Cmon Pete! Be a man. :p
F1point4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #55
Dezoris
Senior Member
 
Dezoris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: FR-S
Location: IL
Posts: 2,848
Thanks: 516
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have some interesting tuner info to post tomorrow comparing different base tunes from the 3 large tuners.
Dezoris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dezoris For This Useful Post:
guarapo (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #56
spdfreak
Senior Member
 
spdfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Location: Chicago
Posts: 191
Thanks: 296
Thanked 142 Times in 76 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Very impressive review/documentary. Thanks for putting it all together!

I'm in your area, hope to see you around.
__________________
spdfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brz vortech supercharger install? Sniper2606 Forced Induction 16 05-07-2013 03:31 PM
*PHASTEK* Perrin Tuned Vortech Supercharger Install Thread (3 Vehicles, 3 Kits) PhastekSport Forced Induction 425 04-26-2013 10:06 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.