follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #15
majixmatrix
BRZ Wannabee

Drives: 2013 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
Switch the OCV bank with another. If it comes back you'll have to replace the actuator. If it's on the different bank you switched to then it's the OCV.
Dang I can't believe how easy this is!! This is a great starting point and I can definitely do this myself. Thanks!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7jg63RtWqo"]Replace/upgrade FA20 FB20 oil control valve vvt - YouTube[/ame]
majixmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #16
Ayoitszritchie

Drives: '14 DGM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majixmatrix View Post
Dang I can't believe how easy this is!! This is a great starting point and I can definitely do this myself. Thanks!

Did this fix your issue? My code is coming up in bank 2 and this is the 2nd ocv sensor i changed to and the p000b code came up again.
Ayoitszritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #17
majixmatrix
BRZ Wannabee

Drives: 2013 Limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayoitszritchie View Post
Did this fix your issue? My code is coming up in bank 2 and this is the 2nd ocv sensor i changed to and the p000b code came up again.
So I picked up the part today and realized that I forgot what bank the code mentioned...I'm 35% sure it was bank 1? Would this be the top or bottom OCV on the exhaust side? I guess if it was bank 2 then the code will pop up again and I'll just swap it...

As for your case my brother, the dealership was adamant in telling me the only time they've seen p000 codes is when the oil wasn't correct. Now to their point, the OCV is relatively delicate and all it takes is one lump of crap to clog it up. What oil do you use? Do you ever use additives? Do you track your car? How often do you change your oil? Unfortunately this error code could have a lot of different sources :/ It could be as stupid as a clogged OCV or loose header bolts, or as involved as a broken cam gear valve or spring. Also maybe a skipped timing chain (doubtful but possible)?
majixmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #18
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Replacing the OCV was only a bandaid for me, and the P000B code would pop up a couple months or a couple hundred miles later. The only thing that completely solved the issue for me was replacing the ECU per the TSB; it's been 7k miles since without a code. Replacing the ECU is easier than you'd think; you just need to order the correct part # for your model year and it takes about 10 minutes to swap the unit out with simple hand tools. The longest part for me was letting Ecutek remove their license from the old ECU before swapping.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #19
Gumberculies

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
Replacing the OCV was only a bandaid for me, and the P000B code would pop up a couple months or a couple hundred miles later. The only thing that completely solved the issue for me was replacing the ECU per the TSB; it's been 7k miles since without a code. Replacing the ECU is easier than you'd think; you just need to order the correct part # for your model year and it takes about 10 minutes to swap the unit out with simple hand tools. The longest part for me was letting Ecutek remove their license from the old ECU before swapping.
Did you have any other codes popping up other than P000B? I'm having the same issue with my 2016 model BRZ. Keep getting P000B codes and have had the OCV replaced a couple of times and have had the cam and sprocket replaced twice. I'm currently bringing my vehicle to my prefered dealership and they are replacing things under warranty. I've tried asking about replacing the ECU, but the dealership states they would only do that if i get the P0016, P0017, P0018 or P0019 codes to show up. To my knowledge, I have never had that code pop up. Only the P000A,B,C or D codes which all relate to the OCVs.
Gumberculies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #20
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumberculies View Post
Did you have any other codes popping up other than P000B? I'm having the same issue with my 2016 model BRZ. Keep getting P000B codes and have had the OCV replaced a couple of times and have had the cam and sprocket replaced twice. I'm currently bringing my vehicle to my prefered dealership and they are replacing things under warranty. I've tried asking about replacing the ECU, but the dealership states they would only do that if i get the P0016, P0017, P0018 or P0019 codes to show up. To my knowledge, I have never had that code pop up. Only the P000A,B,C or D codes which all relate to the OCVs.
For what is worth, this is exact same fix in the video is what the shop I bring my car to did to fix my P0016 problem. The code went away right away (as in, the moment we started the car) and hasnt come back a year of DD and over 10 days of track after.

Im not sure this problem is related to P000B but it was indeed related to P0016 as was my case. I think your dealer is right on this one.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote