follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Yellow_Jacket

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Replace one blown OEM tire or upgrade to Super Sport?

Managed to hit a mega pothole this weekend and blew out my front tire. Only 3000 miles or so on the car.. Now hard question is, do I spend $200 on a replacement OEM or $600 including install on a set of michelin pilot super sport? Been wanting something with more grip, but throwing away three other tires with only 3k miles seem like such a waste. Also, would a new tire throw off the balance even if the others only have 3K miles? Thanks for the help.
Yellow_Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Buy new tires, and sell the 3 remaining OEM's on here.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Great time to upgrade to PSS. Shouldn't have worn the tires enough for a replacement OEM to have balance issues. Primacy HP is terribly overpriced and low performance; I'd ditch em.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
just got 225/45/17 RS3's from Discount Tire for $600 shipped. These cars need tires in a HUGE way. You won't believe the difference a decent set makes. UPGRADE if it's in the budget.
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Yellow_Jacket

Thank you guys for the suggestions. Upon further inspection this morning, the back tire didn't fully escape. Still holding pressure but side wall does have small gashes now. I might feel ok driving them normally but not for autocross/track days. Looks like a full set of PSS. Cost more but better than to risk a blow out on the back tire. This is how I apply the YOLO definition.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I just replaced one OEM tire since it had punctured pretty bad due to potholes and what not. Luckily I was really really close to a tire shop so took it in and they only had the Dunlop SP Sport All-Seasons on hand. I wish I hadn't made that mistake. The car feels like crap and the place over inflated the tires making it a bumpy ride. I can already tell how much less precise it is during fast cornering. I'm about to buy new wheels and tires soon so can't complain too much.
ap5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Buy new tires, and sell the 3 remaining OEM's on here.
^THIS^

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Yellow_Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post
I just replaced one OEM tire since it had punctured pretty bad due to potholes and what not. Luckily I was really really close to a tire shop so took it in and they only had the Dunlop SP Sport All-Seasons on hand. I wish I hadn't made that mistake. The car feels like crap and the place over inflated the tires making it a bumpy ride. I can already tell how much less precise it is during fast cornering. I'm about to buy new wheels and tires soon so can't complain too much.
Thanks for the lesson learned. I'm just going to ride on the spare for a few days and wait for the PSS' to come in at costco (it's $200 cheaper installed than anywhere else). Minimal driving and no highway for a bit...at least work is only 4 miles away.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
karma003
auto-crosser/drifter

Drives: 2013 scion FR-S black M/T
I had the same situation happen to me but w a oil field pipe on the road. Bent a wheel & blew a tire. I asked myself the same thing.... after a while of debating & asking different friends at the autocross one guy told me something that completely changed my mind & made me love the frs for what it is. He said "keep the stock tires, find a replacement or get something w the same grip thats cheap. It may suck for a ehile & u might post bad times at the start but ull find urself getting use to them & ull manage to post great times sooner or later after u get used to them.. once uve reached ur absolute peak on those slippery tires, then upgrade. In the end itll make u a better driver. Besides, sliding is what the frs was designed to do". So I bought lexani lx sevens which r worse then the prius tires but alot more fun lol
karma003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
fasteddy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma003 View Post
I had the same situation happen to me but w a oil field pipe on the road. Bent a wheel & blew a tire. I asked myself the same thing.... after a while of debating & asking different friends at the autocross one guy told me something that completely changed my mind & made me love the frs for what it is. He said "keep the stock tires, find a replacement or get something w the same grip thats cheap. It may suck for a ehile & u might post bad times at the start but ull find urself getting use to them & ull manage to post great times sooner or later after u get used to them.. once uve reached ur absolute peak on those slippery tires, then upgrade. In the end itll make u a better driver. Besides, sliding is what the frs was designed to do". So I bought lexani lx sevens which r worse then the prius tires but alot more fun lol
I agree with this. I am planning on wearing out and learning the limits of my car on the track on the stock tires first. You can perhaps find another used tire cheap.
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fasteddy For This Useful Post:
karma003 (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket View Post
Managed to hit a mega pothole this weekend and blew out my front tire. Only 3000 miles or so on the car.. Now hard question is, do I spend $200 on a replacement OEM or $600 including install on a set of michelin pilot super sport? Been wanting something with more grip, but throwing away three other tires with only 3k miles seem like such a waste. Also, would a new tire throw off the balance even if the others only have 3K miles? Thanks for the help.
Buy all 4 of my OEM tires w/ 800 miles on them from me for $500 w/ free shipping to USA that way you have extras.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
subatoy

Drives: subatoy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
where r u paying $200 for that pos tire?!!!
subatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Yellow_Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by subatoy View Post
where r u paying $200 for that pos tire?!!!
Haha, just about everywhere was charging that much new. Either way, I got a new set of MSS now. Thanks for everyone's help though!