follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Xbox One vs PS4
Xbox One 138 30.13%
PS4 283 61.79%
Undecided 56 12.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #561
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I am kind of sad to see Microsoft change what they were wanting to do under consumer pressure. For me, the DRM stuff wasn't a huge deal. I am leaning more towards digital copies of games more anyways since I am sick of game cases all over my house. I don't buy used games unless I have to because I prefer to support the developer over Gamestop. And I have less than 10 close friends so being able to share all my games with up to 9 of my friends seemed really cool.

Anyways, now the XBox One is just a hardware upgrade rather than a new infrastructure.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #562
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSTaR View Post
Anyone still anti-Xbox One is just a bias'd fanboy.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
Not surprised. I would be more surprised if they stuck with their guns in the end though.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #563
BlueSTaR

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited & 16 Hyperblue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
Even if they removed the Kinect requirement in addition, I would not buy the Xbox One solely because of how disrespectful they have been to the general public.

Playstation 4, regardless of the fine print DRM publisher red tape, did it the best way they could. They got my vote and my business.
Tell me how they've been disrespectful?

They proposed a new (I believe better) way to game (which is widely acceptable in the PC world ALREADY, see WoW). Everyone took up arms about it.

Then, they LISTENED to whiners like you and changed their policies.

Now everyone is mad that Microsoft is doing what they wanted them to do?!

You're like my girlfriend. Never fucking happy.
BlueSTaR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueSTaR For This Useful Post:
cfusionpm (06-20-2013), VADER (06-21-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #564
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Even if they removed the Kinect requirement in addition, I would not buy the Xbox One solely because of how disrespectful they have been to the general public.
Exactly how have they been disrespectful? They said "this is our plan, this is what we want to do." The nerds of the world exploded and went on tireless rampages about how evil, stupid, and awful it is. So they said "OK, you don't want it? It's gone." And now they're the bad guys for doing what YOU wanted?

Quote:
Playstation 4, regardless of the fine print DRM publisher red tape, did it the best way they could. They got my vote and my business.
Nothing says stifled progress like the Japanese business model. I studied Japanese for three years and spent two and a half weeks there back in 2007. They are very "tradition" oriented. Do what we've done before. Do what works. Don't change the status quo. There are very few Japanese publishers that really break away from a "working" formula. Look at pretty much any Japanese game series... there are small changes and improvements, but at their cores, essentially the same game. Same mechanics, same feel, same overall package for decades. There are definitely instances of innovation and change, but it often goes against much of what the culture believes in (including making games specifically for sale in markets outside of Japan which, up until a few years ago wasn't a priority).

I was not really surprised at all to see the PS4 as a marginal hardware update that really brought nothing new to the table. In the same way I was not surprised at all when Gran Turismo 5 was exactly like Gran Turismo 4. In the same way that every Pokemon game ever made are essentially the same with a few small tweaks.

They "did the best way they could" because that's the way of life in Japan and especially in Japanese business. You don't really take risks, you don't push big changes and innovate, you do what works and you keep doing what works.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S

Last edited by cfusionpm; 06-20-2013 at 01:50 PM.
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #565
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I'm glad MS cave in to consumer demand because at the end of the day it's about the consumer shelling out the ''MONEY".

Now I would like it if they made the Kinect 2.0 optional instead with a price of $399.99 without it or $499.99 with.
The point of including it was to integrate it into the system. Now ALL game developers can take advantage of voice commands and motion controls. This will encourage more to actually USE it since their market share of hardware is 100% and not less than 20%.

The reason the original Kinect and PS Eye Toy/Move sucked so much was because no one really used it or did anything cool with it. And why would they? Why spend time, money, and resources developing something great and amazing for a product virtually no one had or used?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #566
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, they still want to charge me $60/year just access those services that I ALREADY pay for: Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO...

So yeah, there's that.

Also, what's the over/under wager on a RROD like symptom from this latest variation?

And just to pick on PS4 for a moment: Now that they will require me to pay money to play online, does that mean their network is more secure from being attacked and all the credit card info stolen by the likes of Anonymous? I sure as F hope so. Get your sh** together Sony!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #567
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

They proposed a new (I believe better) way to game (which is widely acceptable in the PC world ALREADY, see WoW). Everyone took up arms about it.

I know right ? I am with you. It is about time to get the RIGHT Girlfriend. It is about time MS get their own Customers...not the whole crowd.

I only agreed with that "Cave in" on the "No Need for Internet connection Requirement for Offline game play"
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #568
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Well, they still want to charge me $60/year just access those services that I ALREADY pay for: Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO...

So yeah, there's that.

Also, what's the over/under wager on a RROD like symptom from this latest variation?
I don't understand why it's only included in XBL Gold, but considering you NEED gold to play online, most people have it anyway. Regardless, almost all new TVs have built-in wifi cards and can stream all those directly from any wireless network. The TV I got myself last Black Friday had that built-in. I thought it was a stupid waste of money, but no Sony TV DOESN'T have that anymore, so I had to get it. Funny that thanks to my roommate's netflix account, it's almost the primary use of the TV now... (only used for netflix and movies/games. Only cable box in the house is in my room).

As far as RROD, after the Jasper chipset released about 5 years ago, instances have dropped dramatically. With the Slim model back a few years ago, it pretty much disappeared. Now with the super slim, or whatever they call it, I'm sure it's a non-issue. I went through three 360s in two years, but once I got a Jasper chip model, it's been running strong for 5 years. And it's not like I don't spend a huge amount of time on it: http://360voice.gamerdna.com/blog-ga...?tag=cfusionpm

Quote:
And just to pick on PS4 for a moment: Now that they will require me to pay money to play online, does that mean their network is more secure from being attacked and all the credit card info stolen by the likes of Anonymous? I sure as F hope so. Get your sh** together Sony!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #569
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm not mad at Microsoft for changing their policies, good for them trying to make us happy. That's how they'll keep their business. For me, though, they lost me as a customer as soon as they started the E3 conference.

I strongly disagreed with their business model. They changed it to suit the customer base better. I'm assuming that you were always on the XBox One bandwagon, so all it did was help you out, really. Get a grip, I'm not the one getting bent out of shape, like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Exactly how have they been disrespectful? They said "this is our plan, this is what we want to do." The nerds of the world exploded and went on tireless rampages about how evil, stupid, and awful it is. So they said "OK, you don't want it? It's gone." And now they're the bad guys for doing what YOU wanted?

Nothing says stifled progress like the Japanese business model. I studied Japanese for three years and spent two and a half weeks there back in 2007. They are very "tradition" oriented. Do what we've done before. Do what works. Don't change the status quo. There are very few Japanese publishers that really break away from a "working" formula. Look at pretty much any Japanese game series... there are small changes and improvements, but at their cores, essentially the same game. Same mechanics, same feel, same overall package for decades. There are definitely instances of innovation and change, but it often goes against much of what the culture believes in (including making games specifically for sale in markets outside of Japan which, up until a few years ago wasn't a priority).

I was not really surprised at all to see the PS4 as a marginal hardware update that really brought nothing new to the table. In the same way I was not surprised at all when Gran Turismo 5 was exactly like Gran Turismo 4. In the same way that every Pokemon game ever made are essentially the same with a few small tweaks.

They "did the best way they could" because that's the way of life in Japan and especially in Japanese business. You don't really take risks, you don't push big changes and innovate, you do what works and you keep doing what works.
I can be without an internet connection for months at a time. When, whatever his name, said that the 360 is the console for people like me. Yeah, lost my business... instantly.

I lived in Japan for the past 4 years. Your argument is invalid as that is absolutely not true.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #570
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
I lived in Japan for the past 4 years. Your argument is invalid as that is absolutely not true.
Then what I was taught by people born and raised there was wrong. What company did you work for? Or were you serving and stationed there? As I understand it, life is very different for military and naturalized Japanese citizens.

What I understand of contemporary Japanese business models is that they are EXTREMELY conservative in branching out to new ideas. They stick to what is tried and true because it's what's been tested and shown to work. They can stick to what they do best and do it quickly and efficiently. Change only seems to come out necessity or after someone ELSE has taken that step and suddenly they need to step up to compete.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #571
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Then what I was taught by people born and raised there was wrong. What company did you work for? Or were you serving and stationed there? As I understand it, life is very different for military and naturalized Japanese citizens.

What I understand of contemporary Japanese business models is that they are EXTREMELY conservative in branching out to new ideas. They stick to what is tried and true because it's what's been tested and shown to work. They can stick to what they do best and do it quickly and efficiently. Change only seems to come out necessity or after someone ELSE has taken that step and suddenly they need to step up to compete.
So, what you're saying is one of the worlds leading technology nation sticks to the norm? Got it.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #572
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
So, what you're saying is one of the worlds leading technology nation sticks to the norm? Got it.
They work on slow calculated small risk ventures while continuing to capitalize on what currently works with striking success and efficiency. Big innovation steps are few and far between.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #573
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I can be without an internet connection for months at a time. When, whatever his name, said that the 360 is the console for people like me. Yeah, lost my business... instantly.
Yeah...horrible PR move right there.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
slicktop (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #574
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacon1052 View Post
No, it was Don Mattrick
Yeah you caught me before my ninja edit.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote