follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
This thread is going better than expected...great advice in here!

To the OP...read read read! Then read some more. Do a lot of research and always question what you read. Not everything you read on the internet is true. Find some suspension books. All while driving the car stock and having a damn good time (safely). I highly recommend autocrossing as a good/safe/fun way to learn how to drive fast and control the car. It also helps you feel what could make the car better.

How To Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn is a good easy start...a little old but still great info. Don't worry if you get overwhelmed...suspension stuff is complicated but if something is confusing, put the book down and come back to it later.

- Andrew
Read all this guys posts too!
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
Bruninho8

Drives: dont have one yet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
oo ok. im liking the sound of HPDE more than autox. im gonna look into that. and yea im gonna start reading like a maniac about tuning haha.

If coilovers have all these negatives, what are the positives to them? whats the main reason for adding them?
Bruninho8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Adjustable ride height is the main reason for most people. From my limited experience with coilovers anything under $1k is probably not worth running if you serious about performance, if you just want to slam it and don't care about the ride they are fine i guess.

Seriously go to Racecomps user profile and read his posts.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #18
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruninho8 View Post
oo ok. im liking the sound of HPDE more than autox. im gonna look into that. and yea im gonna start reading like a maniac about tuning haha.

If coilovers have all these negatives, what are the positives to them? whats the main reason for adding them?
a good coilover can easily be faster and more comfortable but they are just expensive. you dont really gain much other than laptimes. they get used because you never want to run more tire than your suspension can handle and modern performance tires are really fast
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

More controllable and quicker weight transfer, more precise adjustability, etc. Alignments are easier to adjust correctly because the wheel moves less. the faster the weight transfer (for instance from left to right in an S-curve) helps the car to change directions more predictably as the outside suspension is loaded more quickly instead of sloshing around slowly. Compare a minivan to an F1 car. the F1 car can change directions instantly without any drama. The F1 car will also have a much, MUCH harsher ride...

Some install coilovers to make the car look cool. Lowering springs are safe if they only lower a bit and are only a bit stiffer than stock, otherwise too much and they can trash the shock/strut internals. Coilovers are the only safe way to lower the car more than an inch or so.

Coilovers aren't "bad" per se, but a lot of people get them without completely understanding how the suspension system is affected as a whole, like the whole roll center topic mentioned above. Too many people think "lower CoG is better!" but the car's CG is already one of the lowest in the world. In addition, I've seen a lot of products that are already on the market that are assumed to make the car better simply because that's what other cars have needed. One instance is suspension bushings. I read a very detailed article investigating bump-steer on the 86. (Bump steer is caused by the suspension geometry inflicting some toe change on the wheel as it compresses through it's travel). Bump-steer isn't always bad, it can be designed into the suspension to act as kind of "seasoning" on the car's handling. They found that it did have some bump-steer, but the soft rear busing on the lower control arm would react differently under braking and cornering, affecting the bump-steer in a good way. Install stiffer bushings and this effect is eliminated, possible for the worse. So, coilovers are kind of in the same realm. People automatically assume the car needs X, Y, and Z parts either because some ad said they need it, their previous car needed it, or a friend who "knows about cars" said so.

I wish I could remember where that article was... I found the link here on FT86club.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (08-12-2012), TuxedoCartman (08-13-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
Bruninho8

gotcha. damn so i guess i wont be lowering the car for a while :/ hahaha

in response to wheelhaus: yea i deff need to start doing research lol
Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #21
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Read all this guys posts too!
+1!

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #22
giraffee

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Great advice, it's great to see the community helping each other out and not just saying:
"Y don't you do a ya noob!" Or something to that effect.
giraffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to giraffee For This Useful Post:
Bruninho8 (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #23
Arnie_1

Drives: Peugeot 106 XSi
Lots of good info so far here. Good work gents.

One thing to consider in the HPDE vs Autox debate is cost. HPDE are usually much more expensive. Usual fees are about $150-250 per day for an HPDE, plus material costs (brake pads, rotors, fuel and tires). An AutoX can be about $40-60 for entry fee and material costs can be pretty much nil. HPDE's are much harder on a car compared to an autox. One thing I do prefer about an Autox over HPDE for a new driver is that its relatively low speed. The chance of doing severe damage to yourself and your car is much less in a low speed parking lot. (Granted you can do damage in both if you try hard enough ) However, big plus in an HPDE is seat time. you get much more seat time compared to an Autox. But you pay a lot more. I'd look into practice or test an tune days at your local SCCA chapter if you want more runs per day in an AutoX.

I'm glad I got my start in Autox. You learn very valuable skills that you can use on the road as well as later in a HPDE all in a low speed and safe environment. Of course, nothing says you can't to do both! However, I'd rather spin my car at 50 mph in a parking lot around some cones AutoX) rather than 100 mph into the grass and barriers (HPDE) with my brand new car and brand new license.

Good luck!
Arnie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arnie_1 For This Useful Post:
Bruninho8 (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #24
Bruninho8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Adjustable ride height is the main reason for most people. From my limited experience with coilovers anything under $1k is probably not worth running if you serious about performance, if you just want to slam it and don't care about the ride they are fine i guess.

Seriously go to Racecomps user profile and read his posts.

So pretty much if in the future i do decide to lower my car, dont half ass it with some cheap coilovers. Do it right and get something good.

And ill go take a look at his posts
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_1 View Post
Lots of good info so far here. Good work gents.

One thing to consider in the HPDE vs Autox debate is cost. HPDE are usually much more expensive. Usual fees are about $150-250 per day for an HPDE, plus material costs (brake pads, rotors, fuel and tires). An AutoX can be about $40-60 for entry fee and material costs can be pretty much nil. HPDE's are much harder on a car compared to an autox. One thing I do prefer about an Autox over HPDE for a new driver is that its relatively low speed. The chance of doing severe damage to yourself and your car is much less in a low speed parking lot. (Granted you can do damage in both if you try hard enough ) However, big plus in an HPDE is seat time. you get much more seat time compared to an Autox. But you pay a lot more. I'd look into practice or test an tune days at your local SCCA chapter if you want more runs per day in an AutoX.

I'm glad I got my start in Autox. You learn very valuable skills that you can use on the road as well as later in a HPDE all in a low speed and safe environment. Of course, nothing says you can't to do both! However, I'd rather spin my car at 50 mph in a parking lot around some cones AutoX) rather than 100 mph into the grass and barriers (HPDE) with my brand new car and brand new license.

Good luck!
Good points here too. I think Myles used to make new students that were a little too aggressive duct tape their wallets to the dashboard

This thread could even be stickied as a guide to new drivers looking at getting into this sort of stuff. Just a thought.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
gotcha. damn so i guess i wont be lowering the car for a while :/ hahaha
Don't feel bad, you'll have more fun if you put that suspension money into track days and autocrosses (and consummables like pads, tires, fluids, etc.) You can always mod the car later on.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Bruninho8 (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #27
Bruninho8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Don't feel bad, you'll have more fun if you put that suspension money into track days and autocrosses (and consummables like pads, tires, fluids, etc.) You can always mod the car later on.
Good point. now i just have to wait and get the car haha sometime soon hopefully