follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #57
Fishbed77

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
He said "want" not "have" to mod. The vast majority will be perfectly happy with it just the way it is. Not everybody that buys these are boy racers, hellaflush heros or rice raiders and the 95% left stock guess is probably pretty much on the mark. They are perfectly satisfied with their stock DD and wouldn't know a mod if it jumped out and bit them.
Tcoat nails it again.
Fishbed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #58
chezzy79

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
How was it "intended" to function? I get in drive through traffic and get out. Pretty sure that was the intention behind it.
Haha if that's the only thing you care about, then why did you buy this car? There are countless cheaper cars that can do that better than the FT86, and at this point you are just insulting the amount of thought the engineers have put in designing this car, and what they had to do to make it a reality. How can you be "pretty sure" when you can't even read what they said?

Quote:
Now, if you said it needs to be modded for what you want to do with it I am in full agreement.
I'm just repeating what the designers of this very vehicle has said. It's not my opinion although I fully agree with it obviously. Again, you should learn Japanese before trying to correct me on that.
chezzy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #59
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzy79 View Post
Haha if that's the only thing you care about, then why did you buy this car? There are countless cheaper cars that can do that better than the FT86, and you are insulting the amount of thought the designers have put in this car. How can you be "pretty sure" when you can't even read what they said?

I'm just repeating what the designers of this very vehicle has said. It's not my opinion although I fully agree with it obviously. Again, you should learn Japanese before trying to correct me on that.
You think I am stock?
I read your mod thread and I am already miles ahead of you.
So since I can't read Japanese I can not understand what was translated? There is some secret hidden text that only those that speak Japanese are aware of? They said that they made a car that could be modded to what each individual wants. If some individuals don't want to mod they are not insulting the designers, committing "blasphemy", are "ignorant" about the car or unable to grasp the finer aspects because they can't read a language. They are just happy with what they have and it does a great job for them.
Mod all you want but don't preach it as the gospel, say it is required and look down on those that don't.
You apparently have no interest in hearing that modding isn't the word of God so I will leave it at this before I get myself in trouble.
Bergen23 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #60
chezzy79

Quote:
You think I am stock?
I read your mod thread and I am already miles ahead of you.
That's called ad hominem, if you wanna look it up. And it's only been like 2 weeks since I got the car lol, why are you soooo defensive? Also pics or it didn't happen.

Quote:
So since I can't read Japanese I can not understand what was translated? There is some secret hidden text that only those that speak Japanese are aware of?
I hope you are not talking about Google Translate here, and you are aware that Japanese is a pretty complex and much more expressive language than English right? Also you clearly have trouble comprehending English, so there's that.

Quote:
If some individuals don't want to mod they are not insulting the designers, committing "blasphemy", are "ignorant" about the car or unable to grasp the finer aspects because they can't read a language.
You are the one who said those who are satisfied with stock "wouldn't know a mod if it jumped out and bit them", let alone what the creators have intended.

Quote:
Mod all you want but don't preach it as the gospel, say it is required and look down on those that don't.
You're putting words in my mouth again... Do I really need to explain you the difference between "should" and "have to"? I didn't said you have to mod this car to drive or even enjoy it, but if you wanna use it as intended by the creator, then you'd have to mod it.

And yes, when the creators put this much effort into making the car easy to mod, I do think it's a blasphemy not to mod it. I don't even think it's an overstatement to call this car "incomplete" in its stock state, and a lot of pro reviewers (as well as the designers, obviously) would agree as well. If I wasn't gonna modify it, I'd have bought a 370Z or STI.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #61
Tcoat

Quote:
That's called ad hominem, if you wanna look it up. And it's only been like 2 weeks since I got the car lol, why are you soooo defensive? Also pics or it didn't happen.
Calling me a liar?

I hope you are not talking about Google Translate here, and you are aware that Japanese is a pretty complex and much more expressive language than English right?
All the materials are available translated. I presume by a professional.

You are the one who said those who are satisfied with stock "wouldn't know a mod if it jumped out and bit them", let alone what the creators have intended.
They intended to build a car that people can add to if they wish but was still pretty good stock. They did.

You're putting words in my mouth again... Do I really need to explain you the difference between "should" and "must"? I didn't said you have to mod this car to drive or even enjoy it, but if you wanna use it as intended by the creator, then you'd have to mod it
Again "i think it's a blasphemy to drive this car without modding"
You sir seem to be missing my point completely.
I give up.
Bergen23 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #62
chezzy79

Quote:
Calling me a liar?
No, just saying that your claim isn't substantiated. I'm not gonna go over your 14k posts to find your car, and if you made 14k posts in about a year (that's like 40 posts per day), i presume you don't work for a living.

Quote:
All the materials are available translated. I presume by a professional.
Well then things should be pretty obvious, but in all seriousness, those car enthusiast websites don't spend money on quality translators... Yeah it's still by "professionals", but usually someone who took Japanese in high school and college can barely read a newspaper.

Quote:
They intended to build a car that people can add to if they wish but was still pretty good stock. They did.
They could've created a car that's better from the stock and sell it at the same price, but it won't be as easy to modify. And they are obviously encouraging modifications, so yeah I interpret that as "the car was meant to be modified."

Quote:
There is some secret hidden text that only those that speak Japanese are aware of?
Actually yes, as a professional translator I do think reading a translated document takes away a lot of nuances and meanings behind the original text, especially in regard to automobile articles where the translation quality is usually pretty shitty. If you could point me to an article you are referring to and its original text, I can probably explain it to you better.

Quote:
You sir seem to be missing my point completely.
What was your point exactly? It seems to have changed from "The car wasn't 'meant' to be modded, it's perfectly fine stock" to "Yeah the car was meant to be modded, but doesn't have to be, so be nice to those who don't".

Last edited by chezzy79; 09-10-2015 at 05:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chezzy79 For This Useful Post:
abraxis (09-14-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #63
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's just a car, the manufacturer only has one goal, to sell as many as possible and couldn't care less what we do with them afterwards.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (09-10-2015), Dadhawk (09-11-2015), Tcoat (09-10-2015), venturaII (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #64
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
It's just a car, the manufacturer only has one goal, to sell as many as possible and couldn't care less what we do with them afterwards.
That^^^^^ That, is my point!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #65
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
There are countless cheaper cars that can do that better than the FT86,
Out of curiosity how many, stock, off the showroom floor cars can match a 6.3 second sprint to 60, INSANE driving dynamics, LSD, RWD, unreal COG, and Porsche like handling for $25K? I can think of one if thinking of a BRZ...the FRS.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twin4Life For This Useful Post:
RandomDeception (09-10-2015), Tcoat (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #66
RandomDeception

Drives: Stock FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
Out of curiosity how many, stock, off the showroom floor cars can match a 6.3 second sprint to 60, INSANE driving dynamics, LSD, RWD, unreal COG, and Porsche like handling for $25K? I can think of one if thinking of a BRZ...the FRS.
There is also the Polaris Slingshot, which even has a limited slip differential. :P
RandomDeception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #67
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Im not calling anyone an idiot, everyone has their opinion. I for one know of many, much higher performing Sports cars id rather have, had, and will have before an 86. However, for the money, the experience you get is....pretty much unparalleled. There really arent ANY cars like it. The closest being a Miata, many thousands more expensive and a convertible. No thanks. Get the hard top and load it up it up, might as well get a gently used 2 to 3 year old Cayman S for the money...no joke. So saying one NEEDS to mod to really enjoy it is just a severe case of tunnel vision.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #68
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Biggest reason I wouldn't buy a new GM product, they will try applying intellectual property rights to prevent people from flashing their ECU's. I have an Open Flash Tablet, and it has been an inspiring experience learning to tune my own car with Open Source Software. That means I can share my tunes and experience, and others can share their tunes and experience with me. Nobody's suing anybody over intellectual property.
I just drove out to the coast on one of my custom tunes, and only got 28.2 MPG, and this was while taking the economical route. I changed the tune about 4 times, and finally after my wife got mad at me for spending all my time tuning and ignoring her, I saved the changes on my BestEver tune and spent some quality time with my wife. The next morning I loaded that BestEver tune and filled up the tank. Drove up to Long Beach WA. and spent more quality time with my wife. Headed home and decided to take the Washington route simply because I just came from Astoria and didn't want to go back just to get home. The WA. route is a hilly 2 lane series of highways, with passing lanes on the hills only. I noticed my MPG going up and up as I drove, despite driving for miles up hills in 5th gear, because it wouldn't pull 6th at 60 MPH. I ended up with an average MPG of 37.2, (37.4 indicated), a 9 MPG difference. Thanks to open source tuning, I'm able to share what I've learned with others. For those who want to know, it's because I was able to cruise in the .3 to .4 load range, and .4 load is where Port injection starts up, so cruising without Port injection is much more economical.
Since GM stated their intent to protect their intellectual property, i.e. their ECU coding, I have vowed to never own another GM product ever again. But good luck with yours and your decision to buy one.
Attached Images

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 09-13-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added pics
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #69
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Biggest reason I wouldn't buy a new GM product, they will try applying intellectual property rights to prevent people from flashing their ECU's. I have an Open Flash Tablet, and it has been an inspiring experience learning to tune my own car with Open Source Software. That means I can share my tunes and experience, and others can share their tunes and experience with me. Nobody's suing anybody over intellectual property.
I just drove out to the coast on one of my custom tunes, and only got 28.2 MPG, and this was while taking the economical route. I changed the tune about 4 times, and finally after my wife got mad at me for spending all my time tuning and ignoring her, I saved the changes on my BestEver tune and spent some quality time with my wife. The next morning I loaded that BestEver tune and filled up the tank. Drove up to Long Beach WA. and spent more quality time with my wife. Headed home and decided to take the Washington route simply because I just came from Astoria and didn't want to go back just to get home. The WA. route is a hilly 2 lane series of highways, with passing lanes on the hills only. I noticed my MPG going up and up as I drove, despite driving for miles up hills in 5th gear, because it wouldn't pull 6th at 60 MPH. I ended up with an average MPG of 37.2, (37.4 indicated), a 9 MPG difference. Thanks to open source tuning, I'm able to share what I've learned with others. For those who want to know, it's because I was able to cruise in the .3 to .4 load range, and .4 load is where Port injection starts up, so cruising without Port injection is much more economical.
Since GM stated their intent to protect their intellectual property, i.e. their ECU coding, I have vowed to never own another GM product ever again. But good luck with yours and your decision to buy one.
Clean that steering wheel! Them crumbs... hahah
Old 09-14-2015, 01:18 AM   #70
RandomDeception

Drives: Stock FR-S
So official specs have come out for the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0L Turbo.
Forum Post: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423278
Source: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chev...14-camaro.html

6 Speed Manual:
  • 0-60 MPH: 5.4 seconds
  • Quarter-Mile: 14.0 seconds at 100 MPH

8 Speed Automatic:
  • 0-60 MPH: 5.5 seconds
  • Quarter-Mile: 14.0 seconds at 99 MPH
  • Weight: 3339 pounds (390 pounds lighter than 2015 V6)

All the other models have pretty astounding straight line performance as well.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEEQ7d17d4U"]2016 Camaro: Drifting with Michael Tung | Chevrolet - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by RandomDeception; 09-14-2015 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Video.
RandomDeception is offline   Reply With Quote