follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #57
BAE

Drives: BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
A significantly lighter tire usually means thin/flexible sidewalls.
I think the PSS's are stiff enough in 45 profile and they are good enough for a Ferrari 458 Italia. My PSS are on their way. :-)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #58
hankster

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAE View Post
I think the PSS's are stiff enough in 45 profile and they are good enough for a Ferrari 458 Italia. My PSS are on their way. :-)
So after much research I was going back and forth between the Continentals and the Goodyears. But now I think you have me sold on the Michelins!

What wheels are you putting them on - the stockers?

(btw, I see you're out in the Katy area, me too - Greentrails)
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #59
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I went with the Star Specs for this season going on conventional wisdom. If the PSSs prove to be faster on times by the time these wear out, I'll switch. Until then, color me impressed if not skeptical.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #60
BAE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
So after much research I was going back and forth between the Continentals and the Goodyears. But now I think you have me sold on the Michelins!

What wheels are you putting them on - the stockers?

(btw, I see you're out in the Katy area, me too - Greentrails)
I got them today for tirerack on 17x8" ET45 mm Enkei RPF1's in silver (15.6 lbs). With those tires 17x7.5" would have been fine, but they only come in ET48 mm.

Yes, I am located in Cinco Ranch (Westheimer X 99). I spotted a dark blue one yesterday on TX-99. Was that you?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #61
sastexan

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
Edit: BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW 2 - I had them on my fwd Jetta - loved them till they started getting worn then holy mother of god they were noisy. Also heavier than avg if I remember.
+1 I had KDWs on my Contour SVT (also FWD). They were good grippers but holy moses, did they get loud at about 15,000 miles (50% treadwear). I only made it another 4,000 miles before I had to replace them.

Sort of relevant to the conversation, my favorite tires on my old car were two sets of Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions. Great for street and HPDE (well, got greasy towards the end of the event on a hot day). The Eagle F1 GS D3 Asymmetric I replaced the second set with (the S-03 was out of production and the S-04 had not been introduced) were not as good - noise, grip wet and dry - although wear was similar. Not sure how the next generation of these two tires compares to each other, but history often repeats itself.
'11 Odyssey EX-L - familymobile and hauler - food-encrusted carpets and other appropriate features
sastexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #62
BAE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I went with the Star Specs for this season going on conventional wisdom. If the PSSs prove to be faster on times by the time these wear out, I'll switch. Until then, color me impressed if not skeptical.
I have had two rounds of Star Spec's before I moved to Yokohama Neova AD08. Great tires! But the development in this category of tires is amazing. Better tires are coming all the way. I normally follow Tireracks test in the Extreme category to be updated, but this is the first time I have seen they have test Max vs. Extreme performance tires.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #63
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
I had/have a set of 225/45/17 Hankook RS-3s and I love them. First set is still useable, and lasted me an entire season of auto-x and drag racing weekly (doing 1 short burnout and 3 pulls each night).... I had a little over 13k miles on them, with about another 2k left. Ordered another set in preparation for my next auto-x season, but I had to move and switched to Bridgestone Potenza RE-92s in the same size (I got them for cheap) . The RS-3s chopped off 3-3.5 seconds off of my overall time in autocross (based on a car that was always faster than me, and always got me in the top 1/3rd fastest times ....in a scion tc

I did DD on them in between auto-x and the added grip was nice. They were OK in the rain, as long as I was careful, but temperatures lower than 50*F is when you start to see trouble with hardening. 45* and below made it act as if if you were driving in the rain.

Overall, I was very impressed with them and they lasted me longer than I thought (still have the old set and a new set waiting), but anything other than 65*F + and dry, you will not see their full benefits.

Downside: they are SOFT..... Ive had two tire punctures, one from a nail and another from.... a rock. Yes, a rock.
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Propaganda For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (01-02-2014)
Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #64
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,027 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
A significantly lighter tire usually means thin/flexible sidewalls.
I'd rather have lighter-weight more flimsible tires that are faster than heavier stiffer tires that are slower. But if you like stiffness over compliance, fear not the PSS.
Comments from Tire Rack testing:
What We Liked: "Wow" handling and ultimate traction
What We'd Improve: Soften the ride just a little on big bumps to make everyday commuting more civilized
Conclusion: This is the new super star in the Max Performance Summer category

This implies the tire is pretty stiff, at least relative to other Max Perf tires.

High stiffness + light weight > high stiffness + heavy

And in the Car and Driver article, the PSS ranked 2nd in "subjective feel" for dry performance, a 9 behind only the AD08's 10 (and better than the StarSpec's 8).
At the same time, it also got a 9, behind only the Continental DW in "subjective feel" for wet performance (AD08 and StarSpec got a 6 in this category).

Looking forward to getting a set of these for my FD...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #65
hankster

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Quote:
I got them today for tirerack on 17x8" ET45 mm Enkei RPF1's in silver (15.6 lbs). With those tires 17x7.5" would have been fine, but they only come in ET48 mm.
ET48, only 3mm difference - is that significant?

Quote:
...I spotted a dark blue one yesterday on TX-99. Was that you?
Nope, mine is silver.
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #66
WiKKiD
WiKKiD Large Penis

Drives: 2001 Audi TT Quattro "BT 300+Whp"
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's 3mm in from the factory wheels!

I'm gonna run on 18x8 with et-35 and 265/35/18 RE11 all the way around on TSW Nuburging RF in Bronze. On my pearl white brz.

Did test fit on a friends Fr-s over the weekend. It's gonna look sick when I get my brz. Of coarse these are my autox wheels and tires not my daily. Daily will be same wheels with 225 RE11.

Currently these wheels and tires are on my Audi TT. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343777868.653668.jpg
Views: 5852
Size:  185.7 KB
WiKKiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #67
BAE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
ET48, only 3mm difference - is that significant?
No, it is the combination of the extra width and the offset that push the wheel out. An 8" wheel with ET45 is pushed out 16 mm compared to stock. It is not flush, but it looks much better than the stockies.
Got them yesterday!
hankster (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #68
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
just want to put things into perspective

"just 0.2" seconds is a LIFETIME on a 0.33 mile course

the fact that a Yokohama tire is doing this is blowing me away

however there is one thing to keep in mind, some of those tires, particlary the RS3 need a bit of heat to get grippy, (which is probably why they have the best brake distance score)

so those of you that do more lapping/time attacks that see much longer sessions, beware, as the numbers will change. A good autocross tire tends to get greasy/wear out on a longer track or longer sessions.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #69
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,518 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Well, thought I'd check out the PSS but it doesn't come in the size I'm mounting to the car. So it's the AD08s for me.

But that review is interesting. The PSS seems to be a contender. But either the classification of a "Max" performance tire is off, or the 300 treadwear is off. The problem with tires is that there is no real standard for treadwear or class. So manufacturers can really do whatever they want. If Michelin wants to make a Z1* contender but sell it as a long-lasting tire, they can.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #70
BAE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
just want to put things into perspective

"just 0.2" seconds is a LIFETIME on a 0.33 mile course

the fact that a Yokohama tire is doing this is blowing me away

however there is one thing to keep in mind, some of those tires, particlary the RS3 need a bit of heat to get grippy, (which is probably why they have the best brake distance score)

so those of you that do more lapping/time attacks that see much longer sessions, beware, as the numbers will change. A good autocross tire tends to get greasy/wear out on a longer track or longer sessions.
I agree with you. AutoX is not representative for lapping on a track. If you want to win in non-R-compound classes in AutoX you go with AD08, if you want to minimize lap times you go with some R compounds. But if you want one tire for 5 days on track and 360 days on road, I think the PSS is close to an optimal tire pt. It is 2 lbs ligher than the AD08. That made the difference for me.

I have been told they can take quite a lot of heat on the track. We will see. If they melt after 5 minutes I am back to AD08's. I know they can handle a 20 minute track session in 3,700 lbs M3.